In my view the BB displays littered as they are with all of these Curves and lesser models does little to enhance BB's marketing. Now it may be OK to sell the 9900 and the Torch ( for price and the slider) but everything else should be banished. ( talking about NA market )
    02-06-13 01:30 PM
    they still need low cost devices. And do not under estimate corporate standards. I've seen many a user's BB "break" soon after a new release. The availability of older model to replace the "broken" one with an identical device was priceless.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-06-13 02:00 PM
    In my view the BB displays littered as they are with all of these Curves and lesser models does little to enhance BB's marketing. Now it may be OK to sell the 9900 and the Torch ( for price and the slider) but everything else should be banished. ( talking about NA market )
    you joking?
    lose the curve and they will lose a huge chunk of their market.

The curve will still sell a boat load over the Torch
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-06-13 02:07 PM
    I think the Curves and OS7 arguably have been what has helped keep Blackberry afloat while they developed BB10. Not everyone wants a contract or wants to lay out hundreds of dollars for a 9900, so I don't think they are going to ditch them, especially until an entry level BB10 is released.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-06-13 02:20 PM
    I think the Curves and OS7 arguably have been what has helped keep Blackberry afloat while they developed BB10. Not everyone wants a contract or wants to lay out hundreds of dollars for a 9900, so I don't think they are going to ditch them, especially until an entry level BB10 is released.
    As soon as the phone carriers can no longer sell them is the day they will get the "End of life" status. That will be soon.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-06-13 02:44 PM
    As soon as the phone carriers can no longer sell them is the day they will get the "End of life" status. That will be soon.
    dont count on it.
    the day of reckoning will more likely be when bb10 catches up to the legacy certain departments.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-06-13 02:55 PM
    BlackBerry has indicated that they will support BB7 for at least another year.
    I am thinking that it will be two.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-06-13 03:04 PM
    They didn't quit selling the older BlackBerry devices when the introduced BlackBerry OS7 devices, and the same is true with the OS7 devices and BB10. In some cases, you won't see the Z10 or Q10 being offered by some of the MVNOs for at least a year or two and will be offering the OS7 devices until then. One thing to remember is that in some markets, the popular BlackBerry devices are the lower end ones due to the cost of them. Now another thing to remember is that in some countries the cell network infrastructure lags behind the current technology, especially outside of the major cities. Some places may lack the network infrastructure that would allow BB10 devices to work optimally and the older OS7 devices work better on those networks.
    02-06-13 03:06 PM
    The curves are aimed at an entirely different market than the Z10 - the Z10 is an attempt to attract premium consumers who will sign up for big fat contracts - for budget consumers and teenaged girls there is the curve.
    02-06-13 03:13 PM
    While arguably true I noticed the BlackBerry smartphone display at my Rogers Communications outlet had six BlackBerry OS 7 smartphones but no BlackBerry Z10. So I understand the point of view of the OP concerning trying to break-free of the past especially in the eyes of people using other competing smartphones. Actually, Heins made a comment to the effect that he is still waiting to release a high-end BlackBerry 10 smartphone as he announced the BlackBerry Z10 which clearly in his mind is not a high-end smartphone. Again mixed messages from BlackBerry.
    02-06-13 03:37 PM
    The curves are aimed at an entirely different market than the Z10 - the Z10 is an attempt to attract premium consumers who will sign up for big fat contracts - for budget consumers and teenaged girls there is the curve.
    Last time I checked the Curve costs just as much to operate as any other BB . Secondly, I would guess that a BB Curve might be what they are given but not what they want . I am pretty sure that low end Androids have cleaned up the budget market for the last year or so . That so many Curves are still in existence is likely due to inertia . I am glad that folks stay with the Brand new or old but BB should be taking back the old stock and shipping it to a market where it will sell .
    02-06-13 04:03 PM
    LOL if blackberry axed BB7... they would be bankrupt in a year. we are all tech loving/high end spec junkies but honestly the low end market is where the money is at.

do you think Android would be even near where they are now without the low end devices? android caught up to apple in light speed due to the cheap low end devices.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-07-13 02:48 AM
    Actually, it is going to be the Curves that continue to be sold far longer than the 9900 or 9810 because they will allow BB to remain in the lowest end of the market which they will not be able to hit this year with bb10 handsets.
    02-07-13 03:30 AM
    Last time I checked the Curve costs just as much to operate as any other BB . Secondly, I would guess that a BB Curve might be what they are given but not what they want . I am pretty sure that low end Androids have cleaned up the budget market for the last year or so . That so many Curves are still in existence is likely due to inertia . I am glad that folks stay with the Brand new or old but BB should be taking back the old stock and shipping it to a market where it will sell .
    You might be pretty sure about cheap androids, but you would not be right, it is still an important segment of the market for everyone, indeed if you look at the various rumours even apple might be looking in that direction as their growth slows.
    02-07-13 03:35 AM
    BlackBerry are still strong in the budget market and therefore have to continue that line of sales until the budget bb10's come out!!...
    02-07-13 03:59 AM
    Why in God's name would you limit people's choices so they will buy an Android when they don't see a BB they like?

If they have inventory of BB7 devices, then they should sell BB7 devices. To do otherwise is just losing money.
    02-07-13 05:01 AM
    They'll be sold for a couple more years at least, there's at least one more BBOS BlackBerry coming out.
    02-07-13 05:04 AM
    But the TCO is much lower, do you think many parents plan to swop out cheapo payg curves for 459 Z10s? I bought both my nieces curves, I am not spending 900 replacing them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    02-07-13 10:22 AM
    BB should have their own stores - this would allow them to be in control of their product, marketing, and information. I wonder how much money Blackberry wastes on marketing real estate space already.

And there are too many Blackberries being sold right now. It's confusing for the customer. They should keep it simple - QWERTY, Full Touch, and Slider, and a BB10 Tablet. This would reduce their costs, and maybe they could offer their main phones at a lower cost. I'd even welcome a Chromebook style laptop (playbook black) with a very nice physical keyboard. I think the R10 should not be released as it will saturate their market. The low cost solution is an older Blackberry.

Come on Blackberry, step it up!
    05-11-13 03:07 PM
    The lower end phones and legacy devices are still essential until we have a direct BB10 replacement. Just two weeks ago my friend needed a new phone so we picked up a Curve 9310 for $49.99 on sale from Boost Mobile. Pretty sweet deal and NO contract!

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 03:35 PM