Hi,

Having seen the recent post on a new BB10 developer release on the blog I am interested in learning more about BlackBerry's policy on distributing operating system updates to BB10 devices in the future.

Has anyone heard or read anything on how how BlackBerry will distribute updates to the BB10 OS?

Will they directly push it to consumers (maybe even over-the-air) or will the release depend on any form of clearance by a third party like mobile network operators?

I still remember the time when I had to closely followed specific CrackBerry forum posts for the latest OS updates for my Pearl 8110 or my Storm 9500 that were released by some mobile network operator at the other end of the world. I then manually downloaded (and installed) these as they were available much earlier than the ones that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically offered to install for my device simply because of me using another network provider.

In practice I have found to appreciate the OS update policy of Google for the Nexus devices or of Apple for its iOS devices. Both are fairly transparent as OS updates don't require any form of clearance by the network operator. (I know this is of course different for non-Nexus Android devices whose users depend on the OEM to manually provide an adjusted version of an Android OS update.)

As I am far too much impressed by BB10 I would prefer not getting into some form of fanboy-style OS comparison discussion. I would simply like to better understand how BB10 behaves before it'll be available to purchase for me anyway.
    02-04-13 09:56 AM