Hi all,

I've been interested in buying a Blackberry Playbook ever since it came out, then there was this infamous HP Touchpad firesale and got it instead. The Touchpad still runs pretty solid with the Android mod but I use it mostly to play games to be honest, for the rest I use my laptop.

I know it would be nice to use the Blackberry Bridge in the Playbook with my 9780 just to have a decent internet browser on the go without paying a thetering plan but then the Z10 is supposed to have an equally powerful browser, 4G, and a big enough screen size.

I know a guy selling an excellent condition 32gb with the fancy leather case and an extra charger for 150 dollars but... should I save my money instead?

Thanks for your answers in advance.
    02-03-13 04:30 PM
    Hi all,

I've been interested in buying a Blackberry Playbook ever since it came out, then there was this infamous HP Touchpad firesale and got it instead. The Touchpad still runs pretty solid with the Android mod but I use it mostly to play games to be honest, for the rest I use my laptop.

I know it would be nice to use the Blackberry Bridge in the Playbook with my 9780 just to have a decent internet browser on the go without paying a thetering plan but then the Z10 is supposed to have an equally powerful browser, 4G, and a big enough screen size.

I know a guy selling an excellent condition 32gb with the fancy leather case and an extra charger for 150 dollars but... should I save my money instead?

Thanks for your answers in advance.
    Well i would get a PB, but get a LTE version this way you could use wifi mostly and get a shared mobile data plan so u can use it while your out and about, i recommend at least a 2gb shared plan and monitor everyday or two see how much your using.

I gather the one he is selling is only a wifi version only?

I know you could tether it, bridge it which is also another option so it is up to u what way you want to go either lte version and do what i do or wifi only and bridge it, but remember z10 won't be on a bis plan so i hope you hsve at least a 2gb data plan and monitor well everyday or two to see how your PB is using.

I have a 5gb shared data plan and i have the 32gb LTE version, but i use wifi mostly so i may never use 5gb, but i got a deal on the plan a good deal.
    02-03-13 04:49 PM
    I would say go for it. I use mine for browsing the internet, reading the newspaper, watching videos and playing games. It's actually a lot more convenient that using my 9810 because of the screen size. I also use it for when I go tho the gym to watch my P90X workout videos. For everything else (BBM, SMS and email) I use my phone because I'm constantly on the go with all of my customers.

I too am going to get the Z10 as soon as ATT releases it and will continue to use my playbook via BB bridge. I consider it as a backup device with a larger screen. I do find it funny though that I can be sitting next to other people with Ipads and they always seem to pay more attention to my playbook than their tablets. I enjoy showing off its multitasking power.

I hope this helps.

As for the price...for a couple more bucks you can get a new one on ebay. unless you are interested in purchasing an LTE version.
    02-03-13 05:03 PM
    Is the extra charger a rapid charger or regular charger. I would offer him $110 for everything. I feel thats a fair price but only if that extra charger is a rapid charger. Eventually the playbook will be running bb10.
    02-03-13 05:21 PM
    I'd get it, the z10 will only enhance it, the PB in itself is a good deal, and with the update coming (hopefully soon ). It only get better.
    02-03-13 09:07 PM
    I have a TouchPad too and the PlayBook is way better! With BB OS 10 dropping in a few months, I am going to ditch my TouchPad for good. No more distorted sound after pressing sleep on the TP, no more random music or video playback skips, better cameras (two of them vs the TP's crappy one camera) it will have Skype too soon just like the TP as well as a thriving app catalog with major app vendors that the TP never had. It also has a built in GPS where the TP didn't.

The only things the TP were better at are: it's battery life is better and the screen is much bigger for browsing the web. Oh and wireless charging. That's it.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 02-03-13 at 10:40 PM.
    02-03-13 10:24 PM
    Look at it from our competitor's experience. Apple have a phone and tablet that are so ridiculously the same. however there are different "applications" (by this I don't mean software but utility, even though they do have some different apps) to the different formats of devices.

I have had a PlayBook for almost 2 years and it is quite handy and wouldn't replace it with a phone sized version of it.

Get the PlayBook while they are still cheap, near the BB10 update, people selling them will raise the price.
    02-03-13 10:45 PM
    Chaosdivine: I also have an HP Touchpad, a Playbook and also a Nexus7. The Playbook is my most used device but the TouchPad has much better sound and is very useful for reading Zite and some other news sources. However it is not relevant to this discussion.

Carlos_E. : If the Z10 has a big enough screen for you you may not need a Playbook. Or perhaps you could setup a monitor to run off the HDMI port and couple a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with it. Some of us do that with the playbook. But that ties you to one location to get the bigger screen.
    02-04-13 12:25 AM
    Chaosdivine: I also have an HP Touchpad, a Playbook and also a Nexus7. The Playbook is my most used device but the TouchPad has much better sound and is very useful for reading Zite and some other news sources. However it is not relevant to this discussion.
    I disagree with you on the much better sound. Beats Audio isn't that great - it's not bad, but not all that (really just a preset equalizer setting). If you were to download Neutron for the PlayBook, you'd get an equalizer too and can tweak it in any way you wish to get similar and better results. TouchVol (a free homebrew app) lets you have an EQ on the TP - it's handy. Also, the speakers on the PlayBook are much better and much louder.
    02-04-13 12:58 AM
    ChaosDivine: Couldn't find Neutron in app world. Mainly use Apollo on both the PB and TP. Also play a few selections from my sparse music collection using standard players on both TP and PB. Must be I have a tin ear and a liking for ancient swing and jazz like Louis and the Count.and shouldn't be crossing swords with a true audiophile. But with regard to this thread how are the speakers on the Z10. And would that affect the OPs decision.
    02-04-13 01:48 AM
    I had the same thought because I was going to get a q10. But the more I see the z10 I want. So I think it would compliment it nicely. And as another person said to get an lte pb, don't do it if u stick with bb10. Bridge eliminates the need for a tablet with data. U might want at least 4gigs in data tho. That's my opinion tho and if it make sense to you then go for it. Also I say offer the dude 120$ but if he won't take it 150 isn't bad as long as it's a rapid charger
    02-04-13 02:13 AM
    A word of caution here. I have a much loved playbook which i used extensively to bridge to my Bold 9900 for emails (3 accounts) and texts. I've now upgraded from Bold 9900 to the Z10. To my surprise i now find that it is not possible to bridge my current playbook to the new Z10. Apparently this will only happen when the Playbook is upgraded to BB10 - I don't know when this will be but i hope it's soon!
    Jeovex likes this.
    02-04-13 07:43 AM
    I hope that this isn't a sign that they are going just ditch the bridge function all together.
    02-04-13 09:05 AM
    Hi this is what came up when I tried to You have successfully connected your PlayBook tablet with your BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Features supported on your tablet:

Internet access � Use your smartphone's wireless connection with your tablet if a Wi-Fi connection isn't available for your PlayBook applications.
    Files � View files saved on your smartphone from your tablet using the File Manager app.
    Remote Control � Use your smartphone as a wireless mouse and keyboard for your tablet.
    Bridge Browser for corporate browsing � If your smartphone is associated with a work account, use this app on your tablet to access your company's intranet.
    To access your email, contacts and other personal information on your tablet, you can add your accounts in your PlayBook settings. Your wireless service provider or administrator might not allow you to use some of these features.

If this is what is going on i am not a fan. but we were changing op system change is hard and we won't like it all
    02-04-13 10:10 AM
    ChaosDivine: Couldn't find Neutron in app world. Mainly use Apollo on both the PB and TP. Also play a few selections from my sparse music collection using standard players on both TP and PB. Must be I have a tin ear and a liking for ancient swing and jazz like Louis and the Count.and shouldn't be crossing swords with a true audiophile. But with regard to this thread how are the speakers on the Z10. And would that affect the OPs decision.
    Something's wrong with their own website today as I get a database connection error http://www.neutronmp.com/ (also the listing in BB World is missing http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...28241/?lang=en ). Check out this review of Neutron Music Player and look at the specs. I think it was a $4.99 download but worth every cent. If I can find the direct link I'll update this post with it. Hope they get their site up and you can find out more, you should look at the long spec list here:
    Awesome Neutron Music Player Blows Away the PlayBook Player - BerryReview If you are an audiophile then those specs should wet your pants...

I warn ya though, the UI experience isn't that intuitive and I'm not the only one that finds it a bit frustrating to use. BUT the sound is exceptional.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 02-04-13 at 11:26 AM.
    02-04-13 11:08 AM
    A word of caution here. I have a much loved playbook which i used extensively to bridge to my Bold 9900 for emails (3 accounts) and texts. I've now upgraded from Bold 9900 to the Z10. To my surprise i now find that it is not possible to bridge my current playbook to the new Z10. Apparently this will only happen when the Playbook is upgraded to BB10 - I don't know when this will be but i hope it's soon!
    had a feeling that would be an issue, thanks for the heads up.
    02-04-13 03:08 PM