Ummmm, yeah! Anyone know?

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
    02-03-13 09:22 AM
    I have always been able to do that on ATT...it is more of a carrier issue and not a device limitation. In the US ATT amd T-MO you can, VZW and Sprint you cannot, it is how CDMA vs. GSM works...in other countries I don't know enough about the carriers to tell you but I am sure someone will be along soon to let you know. Hope that helps.
    02-03-13 09:46 AM
    I think that's the confusion. We know GSM can and has always had this ability. CDMA traditionally has not been able to make this happen (sometimes with wi-fi). My last time in a Verizon store I recalled seeing a banner highlighting voice and data at the same time. I just got off their web site and without going through every phone, the HTC 8x does advertise simultaneous voice and data. So it looks like it would be possible for the Z10 on CDMA. Perhaps with 2 antennas. This is a feature that I would very much like to have available
    02-03-13 10:01 AM
    I have always been able to do that on ATT...it is more of a carrier issue and not a device limitation. In the US ATT amd T-MO you can, VZW and Sprint you cannot, it is how CDMA vs. GSM works...in other countries I don't know enough about the carriers to tell you but I am sure someone will be along soon to let you know. Hope that helps.
    Thx for the imput. But i should correct you a bit there if i may. It's a device issue with the chipset used, not a carrier issue. This has more to do with antenna. Most if not all Androids on lte can do voice n data together "over lte." but the iphone 5 for example cannot due to the way lte was implimented. It seems Apple was trying to simplify the design for cdma and used a single chip with 2 antennas which did one at a time. I think that was a design implementation in order to keep the phone thin. You need 3 antennas in order to do voice and data together. I'm surprised no one has brought up this question yet.

As far as the old school thought, as it relates to CDMA vs GSM, you're absolutely right, its more of a carrier / radio limitation across the board. With cdma/lte, its changes the game a bit.

And when volte comes to fruitation, it will mute this entire topic.

02-03-13 10:08 AM
    I asked VZ about it. Their answer was that EVERY LTE device they sell, except the iPhone, does voice/data simultaneously. I asked for clarification about the Z10, and they said they didn't officially know but repeated that EVERY one on LTE except the iPhone does.
    02-03-13 10:11 AM
    I asked VZ about it. Their answer was that EVERY LTE device they sell, except the iPhone, does voice/data simultaneously. I asked for clarification about the Z10, and they said they didn't officially know but repeated that EVERY one on LTE except the iPhone does.
    Yea..... They wouldn't know lol

02-03-13 10:13 AM
    Thx for the imput. But i should correct you a bit there if i may. It's a device issue with the chipset used, not a carrier issue. This has more to do with antenna. Most if not all Androids on lte can do voice n data together "over lte." but the iphone 5 for example cannot due to the way lte was implimented. It seems Apple was trying to simplify the design for cdma and used a single chip with 2 antennas which did one at a time. I think that was a design implementation in order to keep the phone thin. You need 3 antennas in order to do voice and data together. I'm surprised no one has brought up this question yet.

As far as the old school thought, as it relates to CDMA vs GSM, you're absolutely right, its more of a carrier / radio limitation across the board. With cdma/lte, its changes the game a bit.

And when volte comes to fruitation, it will mute this entire topic.

Thanks for the input but you are incorrect, on ATT on the iPhone 5 you can talk and surf the web at the same time, the not only advertise it in commercials I have actually done it on a freinds.
    02-03-13 11:16 AM
    Thanks for the input but you are incorrect, on ATT on the iPhone 5 you can talk and surf the web at the same time, the not only advertise it in commercials I have actually done it on a freinds.
    On the cdma (verizon) version, you cannot. We're talking about cdma/lte here, not gsm/lte.

02-03-13 11:48 AM
    On the cdma (verizon) version, you cannot. We're talking about cdma/lte here, not gsm/lte.

On at&t, all hspa and hspa+ devices as well as lte support both data/voice simultaneously.

rjkolo likes this.
    02-03-13 11:52 AM
    Traditionally CDMA devices cannot. That changed with LTE, where voice uses the CDMA radio and data uses LTE.
    There are devices, HTC Thunderbolt, Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD and others that support SVDO which is simultaneous voice and data on 3g (no LTE required).
    SVDO was/is an extension to CDMA's EVDO that allows voice and data. Verizon supports it on the carrier side. So any phone that can't talk and surf on Verizon, either on LTE or 3g is purely a handset implementation issue and should be taken up with the device manufacturer and not Verizon.
    02-06-13 05:00 PM
    Traditionally CDMA devices cannot. That changed with LTE, where voice uses the CDMA radio and data uses LTE.
    There are devices, HTC Thunderbolt, Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD and others that support SVDO which is simultaneous voice and data on 3g (no LTE required).
    SVDO was/is an extension to CDMA's EVDO that allows voice and data. Verizon supports it on the carrier side. So any phone that can't talk and surf on Verizon, either on LTE or 3g is purely a handset implementation issue and should be taken up with the device manufacturer and not Verizon.
    I disagree about voice and data on verizon 3g. but I'm honest in saying I'm not 100% sure. I was always under the impression that simultaneous voice and data can only work when on lte alone.

02-06-13 05:18 PM
    I can test it today though on my father's rezound.

02-06-13 05:19 PM
    If you have a verizon 3g phone. Your only talking and surfing if your connected to a wifi. I think all the 4g LTE phones have that capability
    02-06-13 05:51 PM
    If you have a verizon 3g phone. Your only talking and surfing if your connected to a wifi. I think all the 4g LTE phones have that capability
    That's what I thought... I never heard of Verizon supporting it on 3g no matter how recent the phones. So bottom line, on 3g cdma verizon, no simultaneous voice n data. On lte, we do get it. On the iphone5 however, we do not have it, even on lte (which is fact). Now back to my original question. Will the z10 support it over lte?

My hunch is yes. But i am not sure.

02-06-13 06:29 PM
    This is what I wanted and needed to know. Great thread and thanks. Good to have this info
    02-09-13 03:52 AM
    That's what I thought... I never heard of Verizon supporting it on 3g no matter how recent the phones. So bottom line, on 3g cdma verizon, no simultaneous voice n data. On lte, we do get it. On the iphone5 however, we do not have it, even on lte (which is fact). Now back to my original question. Will the z10 support it over lte?

My hunch is yes. But i am not sure.

Go research SVDO... Learn something, become informed.
    02-10-13 01:02 PM
    Go research SVDO... Learn something, become informed.
    I understand the technology. I been around this game for a long time. It IS not enabled on Verizon with 3g. This is fact. I tested it myself. and the last thing I read about the subject, Verizon never committed to upgrading its network once phones were equipped with the proper chipset CDMA2000. They opted to go with upgrading LTE as fast as possible. So I would ask you to become informed before you speak in absolute certainty.

Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-10-13 at 02:38 PM.
    02-10-13 01:19 PM
    Why the iPhone 5 on Verizon and Sprint Won't Juggle Calls and Data - NYTimes.com

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/13/sprint...a-on-iphone-5/

here are 2 good articles that explains it from the CDMA iphone5 perspective
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-10-13 at 02:41 PM.
    02-10-13 01:28 PM
    Why the iPhone 5 on Verizon and Sprint Won't Juggle Calls and Data - NYTimes.com

heres a good article that explains it from the CDMA iphone5 perspective
    Your original question is a good one. If the Z10 on Verizon allows simultaneous voice and data, then that would be a VERY persuasive reason for me to leave TMO, especially since I'm coveting the white Z10, which Verizon will be carrying exclusively.
    02-10-13 02:10 PM
    plus, it will have a clear advantage that it can exploit over the cdma iphone 5
    02-10-13 02:35 PM
    Your original question is a good one. If the Z10 on Verizon allows simultaneous voice and data, then that would be a VERY persuasive reason for me to leave TMO, especially since I'm coveting the white Z10, which Verizon will be carrying exclusively.
    I think if your looking for just a superior 4g network with this phone you should switch anyway. While the simultaneous voice and data is a nice feature I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker when you look at verizon's 4g LTE coverage as compared to other carriers. Plus there seems to be wifi everywhere. Except if your riding in a car and you have to do voice and data.
    02-10-13 03:17 PM
    I understand the technology. I been around this game for a long time. It IS not enabled on Verizon with 3g. This is fact. I tested it myself. and the last thing I read about the subject, Verizon never committed to upgrading its network once phones were equipped with the proper chipset CDMA2000. They opted to go with upgrading LTE as fast as possible. So I would ask you to become informed before you speak in absolute certainty.

BAM!
    02-11-13 10:24 AM
    BAM!
    I stand corrected. Apparently there are limited devices with this capability, the thunderbolt, the rezound, the razr m, maxx, etc. This capaility for 3g to do both data/voice together is apparently not widely publicized. It took me a good while to dig up this info. I wonder why. My apologies. It looks like i was wrong as a few things have changed very quietly in the last year or so.

That brings me to the z10 again and makes me wonder if it will do the same, under both 3g and 4g.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    02-11-13 12:01 PM
    I stand corrected. Apparently there are limited devices with this capability, the thunderbolt, the rezound, the razr m, maxx, etc. This capaility for 3g to do both data/voice together is apparently not widely publicized. It took me a good while to dig up this info. I wonder why. My apologies. It looks like i was wrong as a few things have changed very quietly in the last year or so.

That brings me to the z10 again and makes me wonder if it will do the same, under both 3g and 4g.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    The features are never advertised, even Sprint has one phone with it the Evo 4G LTE. It's just a hit or miss thing with the current market and lack of advertisement.
    02-11-13 05:27 PM
    The z10 will support simultaneous voice and data. I can say this because I tried it myself.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    RicanMedic78 likes this.
    02-11-13 05:54 PM
31 12