I wanted to hear what everyone thinks of this post. Would they even know yet or are they talking out their ahole.
    BlackBerry 10.1: What we want to see next | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

Doesn't bash the Z10 so I'm not upset by the post but I just wonder how accurate it is. I'm pretty excited!
    Keep an eye out guys, I'm sure if it's legit CB will have an article on it soon, otherwise take it with a grain of salt
    02-02-13 09:20 AM
    Actually, mods please move this to the BlackBerry 10 OS topic - Probably more appropriate. Sorry!
    02-02-13 09:22 AM
    That article is just talking about what they want to see in the next update for BB10. They're not hinting at anything, simply saying what they believe should be changed/added/updated.

Kevin has already mentioned in his review of the Z10 that there are several things that need to be fixed in the next update and that he has already reached out to BlackBerry about it and they confirmed that improvements are coming.
    02-02-13 09:25 AM
    I can see it now:
    CNET makes a wishlist,
    Crackberry rumour forum goes crazy over 10.1 speculation
    A forum member with 0.1 posts has a friend who works at "Blackberry" who has shown him 10.1 and its coming out in X months
    Wallstreet burns BBRY stock for delays over something unconfirmed
    10.1 launches, everyone complains, including me cause I'm insane in the membrane
    DJRikko, zombie73 and fine1b01 like this.
    02-02-13 09:26 AM
    Yeah, I think you'll see a maintenance release fairly soon for the Z10 that addresses some little bugs and nit picks, then knowing how BlackBerry has rolled in the past, I'd expect a bigger 10.1 release with new features a little later this year. BlackBerry Live is in May.. would make a smart time.

When we first saw the Z10 months ago, we were told even then that the Z10 was in feature set lock down for launch... but you could tell then even that they already had a clear roadmap of what else they wanted to build in. So I think you'll see a lot of stuff happen in 10.1 when it hits.
    02-02-13 09:28 AM
    I wonder if that's when we, in North America, are going to see BBM Money and Visa implementation
    flyingsolid likes this.
    02-02-13 09:42 AM
    Yeah, I think you'll see a maintenance release fairly soon for the Z10 that addresses some little bugs and nit picks, then knowing how BlackBerry has rolled in the past, I'd expect a bigger 10.1 release with new features a little later this year. BlackBerry Live is in May.. would make a smart time.

When we first saw the Z10 months ago, we were told even then that the Z10 was in feature set lock down for launch... but you could tell then even that they already had a clear roadmap of what else they wanted to build in. So I think you'll see a lot of stuff happen in 10.1 when it hits.
    Hopefully it will bring the wealth of granular notification customizations and profile management flexibility we've come to know and love (and depend on!!!) with BB7.
    kolok, SEAWARRIOR and gdurnt like this.
    02-02-13 09:42 AM
    I kinda think a Blackberry Game Center would be fun like the iOS Game Center
    fine1b01, miketko and lorax1284 like this.
    02-02-13 10:36 AM
    I'm hoping they bring back the Reminder option for any tasks put into the Remember app. I don't want a notification once the task is due, that's redundant - I want to set a notification beforehand so that I can get it done on time.
    parabola likes this.
    02-02-13 10:46 AM
    I'm hoping they bring back the Reminder option for any tasks put into the Remember app. I don't want a notification once the task is due, that's redundant - I want to set a notification beforehand so that I can get it done on time.
    workaround= maybe set an appointment in calendar w/ reminder set???
    02-02-13 11:22 AM
    there already is a game thing where you register your id and you can play games against others.....at least thats what it seems to be
    02-02-13 11:25 AM
    workaround= maybe set an appointment in calendar w/ reminder set???
    Yeah there are a number of workarounds, and I'll probably end up using of them in the meantime. But I really hope BlackBerry can eventually implement reminders like the Tasks app had on my 9810 and 9780, it can't be too difficult I'd imagine.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    02-02-13 11:26 AM
    If it wasn't for Roger Cheng's name in the byline, I wouldn't have read it... there is nothing unreasonable there from the sounds of it and when I get my Z10 I'll be making my own list of UX requests.

The fact that C|Net cares enough to look forward in the literal sense to future BBOS enhancements implies they think of it as a real contender, and not just a fringe OS for BB stalwarts. So, kudoes to BB and the dev team for impressing those so willing to be dismissive.
    jakie55 likes this.
    02-02-13 11:39 AM
    Seriously though... don't even go down that road lol Comments like that need to be carefully phrased around here.

It's going to happen all over again. The *train of hope* is arriving, reminds me of:

- Wow! The dev alpha is amazing but REMEMBER people this is NOT the final hardware OR software, everybody relax, all will be known at launch!! (hinting on surprises in addition to what was seen)

Then on launch, it was a repeat of everything... all was known BEFORE launch, minus Alicia Keys, although I wouldn't call her a feature to my Blackberry

So yes, you WON'T see "a lot of stuff" happen in 10.1 thats significant feature wise, you may see some incremental improvements (which is the point of any upgrade, enhance, fix, tweak), but people... don't start dreaming up of fantasy features etc etc
    02-02-13 01:19 PM
    if blackberry can stay on top of updates that fixes little glitches we will see this OS move along pretty nicely as it grows. who knows what they will have by the time 5.0 hits in years to come
    02-02-13 01:40 PM
    All of the criticisms in the article are valid. With BB10 they'll be able to fix these things without waiting for carrier testing, so it should come to everyone and quickly.

Maybe if we're lucky they'll add more VPN options like PPTP and IPSec L2TP
    02-02-13 02:26 PM
    I agree. But have you heard if they also plan on updating BB Link to sync with local versions of Outlook not running on exchange? From the threads, this seems like a total deal breaker for many
    02-02-13 02:52 PM
    I agree. But have you heard if they also plan on updating BB Link to sync with local versions of Outlook not running on exchange? From the threads, this seems like a total deal breaker for many
    Are you saying BB Link does not currently sync with a local version of Outlook (ie: not connected to Exchange)?
    02-02-13 03:17 PM
    The fact that they are thinking about 10.1 is fantastic! Whenever Android releases an OS, people enjoy it, and then make a wish list for the next update. If there was no interest in 10.1, I would be concerned that everyone was apathetic, and therefore could care less about BlackBerry 10. Apple has a much softer approach to updates compared to Android. It will be interesting to see what BB10 looks like going forward.
    jakie55 likes this.
    02-02-13 04:09 PM
    Are you saying BB Link does not currently sync with a local version of Outlook (ie: not connected to Exchange)?
    no link doesnt sync email from outlook and it also wont connect to a playbook
    02-02-13 05:24 PM
    Are we only talking about email? I was more concerned about Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks for a local Outlook install.
    02-02-13 06:15 PM
    They already have that. It is called the games app and it is powered by scoreloop. It has achievements, you can see your friends games and achievements and online leaderoards, etc.
    02-02-13 06:20 PM
    Are we only talking about email? I was more concerned about Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks for a local Outlook install.
    link just seems to sync docs, pictures, videos and music nothing else. I does it in the background over wifi when the devices are on the same network
    02-02-13 06:24 PM
    I've done a backup of my Playbook using link.
    02-02-13 06:27 PM
    link just seems to sync docs, pictures, videos and music nothing else. I does it in the background over wifi when the devices are on the same network
    Seems that you are right. There is no USB sync with Outlook in BlackBerry Link for the new BB10 phones. Third party paid apps are coming available, but the native functionality seems to have been left behind. Gotta say, I'm pretty shocked. I may end up selling my Z10. Wow.
    02-02-13 06:29 PM
36 12