I want to buy the Z10 from a Canadian carrier but am unsure which carrier to buy from to ensure compatibility with T-Mobile. I want to make sure that the phone can do HSPA and LTE when T-Mobile rolls that out.

Any thoughts?
    austriker likes this.
    02-01-13 06:14 PM
    I want to buy the Z10 from a Canadian carrier but am unsure which carrier to buy from to ensure compatibility with T-Mobile. I want to make sure that the phone can do HSPA and LTE when T-Mobile rolls that out.

Any thoughts?
    Wind mobile.
    02-01-13 06:28 PM
    For starters, I'd start my search looking for whatever carriers have an LTE network on the 1700 MHz band (the band T-Mobile is said to be launching its LTE on.) Then I'd try to find out which blocks they are on, and if T-Mobile will be on the same blocks.

Currently, T-Mobile's 3G/'4G' (HSPA+) network is predominantly on the 1700 MHz frequency. I believe, although I cannot say this with complete certainty, that when they refarm the 1700 MHz for LTE, they are going to completely switch to 1900 MHz for 3G/HSPA+. I am not 100% sure about this because surely the spectrum they own in 1700 MHz must be greater than the 1900 MHz transferred from AT&T.

If you're looking strictly for HSPA+ compatibility, Wind, Mobilicity, and Videotron would be your options for most cities.
    02-02-13 01:16 AM
    Hi Raino,

Thank you for the details answer. I checked T-Mobile's wikipedia page and you are correct (based on that). Their existing HSPA network will run off the 1900 MHz and their new LTE network will be on the 1700MHz. I guess now the trick will be to determine which blocks they are going to use.

Does the Z10 not have the ability to use any blocks regardless or it has to be especially created for that particular carrier's network?

Alon
    02-02-13 05:14 AM
    Does the Z10 not have the ability to use any blocks regardless or it has to be especially created for that particular carrier's network?
    That's a very good question, Alon. I wasn't even aware about frequency blocks until I read how the Verizon iPhone can't run on the AT&T LTE network and vice-versa despite both being on the same LTE frequency (700 MHz.) I'm afraid we aren't going to have a definitive answer until T-Mobile/networking gurus reveal what blocks they own. Maybe (hopefully) the blocks issue won't even matter. So here's hoping to the Z10 (and Q10) covering the entire 1700 frequency, or T-Mobile owning all the LTE spectrum in 1700 MHz!
    02-02-13 11:40 AM
    Hi Raino,

Thanks for your insight. I guess I will have to just sit tight nd wait till the official Z10 comes out for TMo.

Alon
    02-02-13 12:07 PM
    Hi Raino,

Thanks for your insight. I guess I will have to just sit tight nd wait till the official Z10 comes out for TMo.

Alon
    And hopefully it will even have wifi calling.
    02-02-13 12:15 PM
    And hopefully it will even have wifi calling.
    Good point! I will post in the "We got a Z10, ask us anything" thread. Let's see if anyone can answer.

Edit: seems like an Orange UK has already answered this. No UMA at least.
    02-02-13 12:19 PM
    Hi Raino,

Alon
    So you are going to wait? I just want to find someone who will be buying the z10 up north and testing out on tmobile in the us before I do
    02-02-13 10:55 PM
    I have both TMO and Wind SIMs so I will be testing a Koodo phone Monday if the reps will let one be pried from their mitts. Engadget specs the Z10 as pentaband hspa+ to cover the big three as well as Wind and TMO.

Not sure why no one on the Crackberry team can seem to confirm AWS freq compatibility and pentaband operation. Gents?!
    Last edited by llamax; 02-03-13 at 10:17 AM.
    annon91221, raino and austriker like this.
    02-03-13 12:02 AM
    I have both TMO amd Wind SIMs so I will be testing a Koodo phone Monday if the reps will let one be pried from their mitts. Engadget specs the Z10 as pentaband hspa+ to cover the big three as well as Wind and TMO.

Not sure why no one on the Crackberry team can seem to confirm AWS freq compatibility and pentaband operation. Gents?!
    Do Koodo stores sell unlocked phones? I don't think the Wind/T-Mobile SIMs would work otherwise. Even then, the T-Mobile SIM might roam on a Canadian network if there's no native (T-Mobile) coverage.
    02-03-13 12:16 AM
    Yes. I will wait. There is too much uncertainty about TMO LTE compatability for me.
    02-03-13 12:54 AM
    Yes. I will wait. There is too much uncertainty about TMO LTE compatability for me.
    Fair enough. I'm really hoping to hear from someone who dives in the water before me.. so I can know for certain which canadian z10 will work fully (ie lte when it rolls out) on tmobile usa
    02-03-13 09:48 AM
    Do Koodo stores sell unlocked phones? I don't think the Wind/T-Mobile SIMs would work otherwise. Even then, the T-Mobile SIM might roam on a Canadian network if there's no native (T-Mobile) coverage.
    I expect them to be locked and will use an unlocking service. TMO will use the 1700 band for LTE when rolled out which is spec'd as a supported freq by the Koodo model. I will see what the TMO SIM reports back from the unlocked phone with a quick drive to the border.
    araskin and austriker like this.
    02-03-13 10:31 AM
    I expect them to be locked and will use an unlocking service. TMO will use the 1700 band for LTE when rolled out which is spec'd as a supported freq by the Koodo model. I will see what the TMO SIM reports back from the unlocked phone with a quick drive to the border.
    Oh yeaaaa! Please do let us what you find out. How much is the non contract z10 from koodo? I'm quite interested in getting on then
    02-03-13 10:57 AM
    @llamax

I thought you were going to make the determination in-store. My apologies.

What you're actually planning to do, I consider 'above and beyond.' Thank you.
    02-03-13 01:12 PM
    No problems, Gents. Once the unlocking for TMO and Wind is confirmed, I will be turning my usual gratis generosity, uncharacteristically, into dollars.

See my post in the Marketplace for more info.
    02-03-13 01:39 PM
    No problems, Gents. Once the unlocking for TMO and Wind is confirmed, I will be turning my usual gratis generosity, uncharacteristically, into dollars.

My biggest concern is LTE. Since TMO has barely begun rolling out LTE, I don't know how you could confirm whether the phone will be compatible with TMO's LTE network.
    austriker likes this.
    02-03-13 02:54 PM
    My biggest concern is LTE. Since TMO has barely begun rolling out LTE, I don't know how you could confirm whether the phone will be compatible with TMO's LTE network.
    Good point.. hmm fly to vegas? Ha I think that's the first place they are releasing it right?
    02-03-13 03:54 PM
    Yes I believe that is the first city.
    02-03-13 04:05 PM

Let me know if the TMO works...I'm interested.
    02-03-13 04:26 PM
    Looks like all the Canadian phones unlocked will work on TMO. I confirmed on Wind with Koodo phone today.
    02-06-13 12:02 AM
    Looks like all the Canadian phones unlocked will work on TMO. I confirmed on Wind with Koodo phone today.
    Hmm but there's been a debate over the tri vs quad band and if they will support tmobs lte when it comes on 1700. The tri does not supposedly. I really want someone to confirm all these details before buying one. I'm not sure I can last until april (march 27 is basically april! Boooo)
    02-06-13 02:28 AM
    Jeez still no comfirmation
    02-19-13 12:47 AM