Hello from South Africa. Like everyone else, I was super stoked for launch of BB10, only to find that there will no longer be a BIS uncapped data bundle.

This is a MONUMENTAL mistake on RIM's part, especially in emerging markets where RIM was so strong all along. The main calling card for BlackBerry was BIS. RIM are really setting themselves up to fail in emerging markets. I'm so guttered.
    za_berry likes this.
    01-31-13 01:24 PM
    Hi there Ishaq786. I agreed with you until I spoke to our account manager at MTN. Apparently MTN are going to go with voice/data packages for the Z10. As BB will still compress data the data usage will still be much lower than mesages (like Whatsapp) sent on Apples and Android. The "free" data thrown in with the Z10 offerings will (or should be) sufficient to make up for the loss of BIS.

Still cant wait to get the Z10 - whenever that will be??
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-31-13 01:32 PM
    I agree Ishaq786 , the differentiator here in south africa was the unlimited browsing on our BlackBerries that kept us loyal and waiting patiently for BB10. I feel like all th ewind has been knocked out of me. I've been promoting BlackBerry10 as the best thing to come only to hear that they discontinuing with unlimted data. We once again going to be held captive to the Service providers and carrier who charge exorbarant prices for data. It's because the carriers were not able to exploit blackberry users for large data plans that have hug out of bundle rates that if not carefully monitored leave us with a heavy bill. Recently got charged R900 for an extra 200mb out of bundle on my 3g card.

The one thing emerging markets loved about BlackBerry was the unlimited data, I still love the device but feel let down by a company that i have supported through its darkest times. If icant save on my data (oh 20mb free per month on a BlackBerry plan aint going to do it) With the landline service providers competing with unlimted data bundles the Cellular providers are still milking us dry. The solution to make them irrelevent is for more people to setup open wifi networks on unlimited data plans, however with the poor penetration of landlines in Sout Africa ADLS is going to be slow.

Right now I feel like buying a Sony Erriccson phone. While I will be paying for data, I hope it sends a message to BlackBerry that the markets that kept them afloat and allowed them to survive during a time when the Americas and Europeans were writing them off are going to respond and unfortunately the iTOys and Droids are going to be laughing at us as we try and sell this ridiculous change. We are not America and Europe where WIFI is everywhere and Mobile means being on WIFI. Even hear in South Africa ITOy and Droid users always stay of their data plans and wait to arrive at the office before switching to WiFi or when they get home.

We were told we were getting mobile computing what we getting is Carriers dictating launch dates, availability of products and when we can buy them.

Sorry BlackBerry, I'll stay with my 9900 untill it dies cause that's goin to keep BIS and BlackBerry10, Ill use my playbook to exepriance it , when BB110 eventually comes to the playbook

Goodbye BlackBerry, go worry about your American market that left you to dry while we lick our wounds her in the emerging markets and finally have to succumb to the cash cow carriers.
    01-31-13 01:57 PM
    Hi there Ishaq786. I agreed with you until I spoke to our account manager at MTN. Apparently MTN are going to go with voice/data packages for the Z10. As BB will still compress data the data usage will still be much lower than mesages (like Whatsapp) sent on Apples and Android. The "free" data thrown in with the Z10 offerings will (or should be) sufficient to make up for the loss of BIS.

Still cant wait to get the Z10 - whenever that will be??
    MTN, the same company that charges us out of bundle 2 rand a MB. I won't keep my hopes up with those thieves. Thank god I ported to Cell C. I'm hoping Alan Knott Craig comes up with something for us BlackBerry users.
    01-31-13 02:53 PM
    Australia is another emerging market; we still have restrictive data plans with massive overage fees. I have convinced people to get 9900's despite all their flaws just for the data plans so they don't have to worry about going over quota. It's nice that they can sell LTE phones with unlimited data in some parts of the world, but making the rest of the world suffer for that sounds just like what Apple and Samsung are doing. Why should I get a Z10 over an Android or iPhone?
    01-31-13 03:43 PM
    Did eventually get the Z10 on a 2GB data plan from Cell C. hate the fact that I need to monitor my data. MTN decided to cap. BIS with 200MB that's going to kill BlackBerry on their network. But porting to Cell C was the best move ever for my BlackBerry. I get 2.1 gigs of data plus corporate BES data is unlimited.

Having used the phone for over a month I'm definitely using more data. One gripe though no LTE on the Z10 here in SA. Could understand if we didn't have LTE at all bit all networks are trialing and bit bus the future.

Losing lots of BlackBerry users to Droids because of this move to introduce data capping labelling it as fair usage.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 03:55 AM
    Hello from South Africa. Like everyone else, I was super stoked for launch of BB10, only to find that there will no longer be a BIS uncapped data bundle.

This is a MONUMENTAL mistake on RIM's part, especially in emerging markets where RIM was so strong all along. The main calling card for BlackBerry was BIS. RIM are really setting themselves up to fail in emerging markets. I'm so guttered.
    A monumental mistake that every single other hardware manufacturer is also making, the obvious difference being that BB are still offering BB7 devices for those who would rather have BIS than a modern device.
    04-25-13 05:54 AM
    But unfortunately no unlimited data which other markets enjoy or at least have at reasonable prices. Suppose The more you get rid of unlimited BIS the cheaper the data rates will get on so they tell us.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 06:07 AM
    Welcome the real world.

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for you. We lost unlimited data in the developed world 3 years ago your just catching up now. Buying a Sony to get revenge isn't going to teach BlackBerry anything this is much more a carrier thing .

So once again welcome to the real world of capped data and stupidly expensive cellphone plans

Posted from my LE Zed10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    04-25-13 06:54 AM
    Ahh, if you read further in you would have noticed after my rant in February I bought the Z10 cause I got a great deal from Cell C.

Data and minute plans are doubled in UK for what we paying here in SA, and our infrastructure, was built with GSM so we actually leap frogged the US's analogue mobile system. Secondly our networks are global competitors to the AT&T and Vodaphones of the world. So in some cases we have technology implemented superior to the US. Where we lack is solid land line link that allows for wireless hot spots all over the country which allowed iPhone and the Droids to take over the smart phone industry without hurting the pocket of the consumer. Here in South Africa BlackBerry did extremely well be case it filled that gap. By getting rid of unlimited its playing to its competitors instead main tiling its differentiator which made it so succesfull. Now with data rates dropping although the most expensive still Android and hand me down iPhone are becoming more attractive then an unlimited package with a old phone such as the 8520

Hoping that the mid level phone, coming soon is able to stem the tide because Android is the fastest growing OS on South Africa and with the negative publicity and bas rap BlackBerry is facing its getting harder and harder to keep people on the BlackBerry platform

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 09:38 AM
    The funny thing is, rather you choose android, ios, or Windows Phone or the same thing. Though if post #2 is right BlackBerry would still be best to stick with.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 12:31 AM
    The funny thing is, rather you choose android, ios, or Windows Phone or the same thing. Though if post #2 is right BlackBerry would still be best to stick with.

Posted via CB10
    It's not right, there is no data compression with BB10, at least not yet.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 02:24 AM
    I don't want to be the same with all those other phones, I want to be better, all the things we used to highlight as differentiating factors are being eroded and we following iSheep. Let's create the future not be followers. We off to a start but we losing the elements that make bus unique. I never moved from BlackBerry so I expected my loyalty to be rewarded not eroded so that we can please the itoys and hope they come back.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 11:39 AM
    Well it's not their fault they don't have BIS, every other phone doesn't have BIS so why change to an android when it will be the same thing? Seems like you guys only liked blackberry for their BIS services.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    04-30-13 11:44 AM
    Of course we did. Unlimited Internet Inn a world where data costs are huge and no access to cheap wifi. That's why we loyal blackberry fans, and I didn't go with Android but many people are as the worst phones were flogged on the masses. But know that the BIS factor is gone. Many are saying why should I be with a phone that gave me issues.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 11:51 AM
    Of course we did. Unlimited Internet Inn a world where data costs are huge and no access to cheap wifi. That's why we loyal blackberry fans, and I didn't go with Android but many people are as the worst phones were flogged on the masses. But know that the BIS factor is gone. Many are saying why should I be with a phone that gave me issues.

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 doesn't give me issues. It's the best phone on the market in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 12:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    I didn't have unlimited bis but I'd still take it back any time on BB10 for emails alone.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 12:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    So you didn't like the phones themselves then, you just wanted the service, every other phone is the same exact thing when it comes to data consumption, so you're not as loyal as you say you are then.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    04-30-13 12:28 PM
    It was the combination of the phone and the service. That's why we dealt with reboots and buggy os's. And we didn't jump ship when it made sense from a user experience to do so. Loyalty is using something even when it doesn't give you the best experiance and until the Z10 we didn't have the best experiance. Sure I was able to do many of the most important things which is why I was able to stay loyal but BIS was definitely the differentiator and now we won't have the 50% market share of smartphones which we had in South Africa.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 05:37 AM