I cannot review a thread without reading a - VERY understandable - frustration regarding launch sequence, U.S not being the "first to dance".
    Of course, being European and used to be the last to receive new tech devices (<= this is an important point) I truly and sincerely share your pain.

But, as I'm not under influence, I'd like to make a small list of "what it means".
    1. It sucks for you, U.S BlackBerrians. But please; count in days, not in months. I also presume T.H took all the precautions to avoid something like pushing the date later. Better than announced is still a valid option.
    2. It's hard for the brand, because leading tech media are Americans and same goes for investors (therefore the stock dive). Even in French press, we can feel the blast ...
    3. It's cool for us, but beware: I've been tracking release dates and in France, there's nothing really massive in February (at least from what I got as-of-date). Most is pre-order thing, we might not get our devices before early March. There's not really anything to be jealous of ... even more ...
      [now we go in the "why" section]
    4. There's absolutely zero chance that BB10 is "perfect" at launch. Glitches, bugs, annoying "little things" ... they will happen, and I believe we (first comers) will be more likely to apprehend them and wait for their resolution (thanks to QNX OTA incremential updates !) with relative patience. If released not 100% polished in - hostile - U.S market, Z10 would be killed in its birthday suit.
    5. Apps ... "will come" is not enough to gain traction with the U.S market. "IS here" is mandatory. Skype is the one I'm talking about, in particular. It have to be pre-loaded and hub embedded (IMHO). Same goes for other "major" apps we've heard a little during the show (P.S : We don't have Netflix here)
    6. In terms of sales, let's roughly say that EU+CAN is equal or bigger than U.S for BlackBerry.

I don't believe this is a particular problem with carrier or certification processes. This was planned.

Sorry, I've not been able to find T. Heins interview where he confirmed the BBOS "leaked" launch sequence below, but it did catch my eyes when published.
    BlackBerryOs.com - 07-02-2012
    With the help from an anonymous source, we have gotten our hands on what appears to be a BlackBerry 10 Roadmap for 2013! Boo-ya!! I'll explain more below, but first, here is a quick overview of the roadmap dates:

• 4G PlayBook - Q4, 2012
    • BlackBerry 10 London/Nevada - Q1, 2013 - Europe launch before N. America
    • BlackBerry 10 Upgrade for PlayBook - Q1/Q2, 2013

• BlackBerry device codenamed "Nashville" - Q2/Q3, 2013

• BlackBerry 10 inch PlayBook "Blackforest" - Q3, 2013

• BlackBerry device codenamed "Naples" - Q3/Q4, 2013

Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-31-13 at 10:39 AM.
    revtech and Chaddface like this.
    01-31-13 10:07 AM
    From what I remember they fudged the answer - they said available in North America within 30 days which lead many to belive that meant the USA as well as canada. I remember many arguments here where people said it was impossible it wou
    01-31-13 10:13 AM
    Perhaps part of the deal Blackberry had with US carriers was a wait and see approach. They wanted to see the reaction in the uk and canada before fully committing on a launch date. And those markets would create buzz for the American market.
    revtech likes this.
    01-31-13 10:22 AM
    Still, holding a big "launch" in New York and then airing an ad in the Super Bowl more than a month before the phone is even available in the US market smacks of pure nonsense, if not blatant stupidity.

Do not underestimate the extraordinarily short attention span of the American public, as BlackBerry seems to have done.
    01-31-13 10:25 AM
    Leaked confidential RIM roadmap shows launch of BlackBerry 10 handsets
    will first hit the European market during the first week of January next year. A month later, the devices will make their Stateside launch.
    Leaked BlackBerry 10 roadmap reveals 2013 plans - SlashGear
    Interestingly, those devices will launch in Europe before heading to the United States.
    2 more quotes from July 2012. I think the information came from the same source.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-31-13 10:27 AM
    Glad to see someone of your stature promoting this. I wondered aloud elsewhere whether a cynical and overfed US market would be the best place to work out the wrinkles, or rather to do it where bb is already popular and a more 'forgiving' marketplace. "Killing it in its birthday suit" as you said is a very apt description of what 'may' have happened . . After all, look how some of our media outlets panned the launch event.
    01-31-13 10:27 AM
    Still, holding a big "launch" in New York and then airing an ad in the Super Bowl more than a month before the phone is even available in the US market smacks of pure nonsense, if not blatant stupidity.

Do not underestimate the extraordinarily short attention span of the American public, as BlackBerry seems to have done.
    Yup, the SuperBowl ad is still questioning me. Very valid point.
    01-31-13 10:28 AM
    Thank you (and sorry, again : you pointed it right before in the other thread.)
    01-31-13 10:31 AM
    this is wild guess but perhaps they are thinking that us market will be the hardest to tackle so they want to warm it up a bit buy releasing it first in europe and canada. then good reviews and positive feedback will flow in and will make us customers to buy bb10 more.
    spike12 and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-31-13 10:44 AM
    "3 waves" ... I knew I read it ...
    You'll remember ... it was about South Africa ...
    Thorsten Heins - gadget.co.za - 09-22-2012
    “South Africa is a priority one market for us, and we will acknowledge that with the launch of BlackBerry 10. There will be three waves in taking it to global markets, and South Africa and Nigeria are in the top range of Wave 1 launches. We will pay tribute to our customers here by delivering BlackBerry 10 in South Africa when it is launched.”

this is wild guess but perhaps they are thinking that us market will be the hardest to tackle so they want to warm it up a bit buy releasing it first in europe and canada. then good reviews and positive feedback will flow in and will make us customers to buy bb10 more.
    In the same article ... I believe it goes in that direction
    Thorsten Heins - gadget.co.za - 09-22-2012
    “In the US, we are clearly a turnaround case. In the rest of the world, we are still growing our overall global subscriber base. Other regions in the world are more than compensating for losses in the USA.”

From : Gadget Web Site - BlackBerry boss thanks South Africa
    01-31-13 11:02 AM
    did south africa and nigeria get any love this week/month?
    01-31-13 11:15 AM
    It may or may not have been mentioned elsewhere in reference to this boneheaded move, but the Macintosh went on sale two days after the famous Super Bowl "1984" ad introducing it.
    01-31-13 11:16 AM
    consider the superbowl ad a reminder to the american public, that, blackberry isn't dead and they have a new phone coming soon.
    it's better than not advertising at the superbowl and have america continue to think, they're dead.

people in large groups will say, 'hey, i heard that phone is really good'. then someone else responds, 'yes, ive been watching some demos online. think i may get one'...etc
    01-31-13 11:26 AM
    did south africa and nigeria get any love this week/month?
    South Africa is one of six countries globally selected for the official launch and the unveiling of the first two BlackBerry 10 smartphones.
    Seems like they showed "some love". Don't know if the phones have been released yet there.
    01-31-13 11:38 AM
    Yup, the SuperBowl ad is still questioning me. Very valid point.
    The Super Bowl ad was decided on 6-9 months ago. It was a gamble that won't pay off. Props for effort though.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-31-13 11:45 AM
    Launching was focused on thEir market strengths and thats why maybe US needs to wait. Other than the carriers where just not too keen enough to launch fast.
    01-31-13 11:56 AM
    If it is the plan, BB needs better planner.

The problem is two-fold. First, in two months, S4 and HTC M7 would have landed here with next gen SOC and 1080P screen, Z10 will be a mid end phone at best. It is a very unforgiving market in US and Blackberry really blew it. Secondly, Apps development and investment are still heavily focused and influenced by North America market share. To grow apps development, one has to have key mindshare and marketshare in North America market. Period.
    Elops saw this and moved most of Nokia software development to here in Sunnyvale in order to encourage organic app development and platform growth.
    jegs2 and rnhld like this.
    01-31-13 12:38 PM