The reason evrybody in the US is in an uproar was ironically RIM's good fortune. When they first announced the Jan. 30th launch date, internally they didn't believe any carrier anywhere in the world would be ready that quickly. They thought everybody would be launching towards the end of Q1. When many carriers were ready early, RIM was put in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Delay the lauch and upset many global carriers(who if we're being honest are keeping RIM afloat) or launch without the US and upset the rest of the world. I think they made the right decision, however difficult. What they should have done imho, is move the main event to Toronto where the crowd was much more enthusiastic once they knew how availability was going to shake down. The New York crowd was sad, very little excitement.
    bhrgvr likes this.
    01-30-13 09:36 PM
    if it wasn't a good product they wouldn't be so upset its later LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    spyeagle and revtech like this.
    01-30-13 09:38 PM
    Blackberry screwed over the US and might have pushed them further away.
    Clinto likes this.
    01-30-13 09:41 PM
    Agree, they should have launched in Canada if they knew of the delay in the US. The Superbowl commercial will end up as a $3-4 million waste now too.
    Clinto likes this.
    01-30-13 09:42 PM
    Agree, they should have launched in Canada if they knew of the delay in the US. The Superbowl commercial will end up as a $3-4 million waste now too.
    God I hope not... That's so much dough to drop on a 30 second spot. Hopefully they can keep the hype rolling until all the carriers get their acts together
    01-30-13 09:45 PM
    Sigh... once again, it is the US carriers that have not yet approved the phones. And, they are still holding true to their original promise of Q1. Good grief... I understand not being happy about having to wait but find out why first and what, exactly, was told to you by RIM. If you do that, then maybe you can call, email, tweet, or whatever else you can think of, your carriers and tell them that you aren't happy and you want them to get their **** together.

EDIT - I was trying to be safe and use the word p.o.o.p and it got censored....lol
    01-30-13 09:50 PM
    oh come on they didnt "screw the US"
    Im as dissapointed as anyone but Im not gonna rush out and buy a windows phone anyway
    Hopefully things will go well elsewhere maybe get a couple more apps on board maybe an update
    if you ever really wanted it you will still want it in march
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    01-30-13 09:51 PM
    if it wasn't a good product they wouldn't be so upset its later LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I NEVER thought about it that way. Gives a whole new twist to the story.
    01-30-13 09:55 PM
    I totally agree with what you say. +1
    Carriers in US, since they subsidize, need to think of ways to make money off people and not the manufacturer. This takes time and my opinion is that the carriers in US were just not ready with the plans, with / without BIS / BES. I am sure TH would have wanted a worldwide release simultaneously or staggered over a month....

I may be incorrect... but thats just my opinion...

On a different note... RIM sounded so much better as a company than taking on the name of the brand...
    01-30-13 09:57 PM
    That was a $4 million gamble they decided on 6-9 months ago. In retrospect I'm sure they're not thrilled either. Nothing you can do now, just move on.
    Last edited by jagrlover; 01-30-13 at 10:24 PM.
    01-30-13 09:58 PM
    I believe it is more than just not having the phones available for the US market it is the view that the media and the investors see. The delay in the US for many is a message that things really have not changed and the confidence is not there. When confidence is low then it is easier to become negative about the product. As a tiny stockholder today was a double blow because the stock did so poorly once the word was no US until March. You do not go in to the Wall Street and put on a show and at the end say "oh this is not for you now; we will have something for you later". The investor's react to such a message. The economics is what went wrong with the US launch. You don't do a sales pitch to everyone in the room and say at the end sorry I have no products to sell to you now. Maybe the next time I come to town I will bring some so you can buy.
    01-30-13 09:59 PM
    I totally agree with what you say. +1
    Carriers in US, since they subsidize, need to think of ways to make money off people and not the manufacturer. This takes time and my opinion is that the carriers in US were just not ready with the plans, with / without BIS / BES. I am sure TH would have wanted a worldwide release simultaneously or staggered over a month....

I may be incorrect... but thats just my opinion...

On a different note... RIM sounded so much better as a company than taking on the name of the brand...
    I agree with you on the RIM thing, although we may be alone. Apple doesn't make apples......
    01-30-13 10:01 PM
    Wow how many of these threads do we need, no point in beating a dead horse.
    Villain likes this.
    01-30-13 10:03 PM
    I believe it is more than just not having the phones available for the US market it is the view that the media and the investors see. The delay in the US for many is a message that things really have not changed and the confidence is not there. When confidence is low then it is easier to become negative about the product. As a tiny stockholder today was a double blow because the stock did so poorly once the word was no US until March. You do not go in to the Wall Street and put on a show and at the end say "oh this is not for you now; we will have something for you later". The investor's react to such a message. The economics is what went wrong with the US launch. You don't do a sales pitch to everyone in the room and say at the end sorry I have no products to sell to you now. Maybe the next time I come to town I will bring some so you can buy.
    That's why I said they should have done it in Toronto.
    01-30-13 10:03 PM
    Sigh... once again, it is the US carriers that have not yet approved the phones. And, they are still holding true to their original promise of Q1. Good grief... I understand not being happy about having to wait but find out why first and what, exactly, was told to you by RIM. If you do that, then maybe you can call, email, tweet, or whatever else you can think of, your carriers and tell them that you aren't happy and you want them to get their **** together.

EDIT - I was trying to be safe and use the word p.o.o.p and it got censored....lol
    I agree, but you have to understand that people, at their most basic levels, are lazy. So who are they going to blame, without doing the necessary research? Right now, unfortunately, it is very easy to blame BB. Rightly or wrongly, BB will be blamed for not getting it done (especially in the media). And that sucks, and I fear it will continue to suck for a long time.
    01-30-13 10:05 PM
    While I agree the wait shouldn't matter I doesn't make it any less excruciating.
    01-30-13 10:12 PM
    But blackberry makes blackberries.
    01-30-13 10:19 PM
    They would be better off sitting the $4 Million in cash in front of th Waterloo HQ and lighting it on fire, because that's what running an ad for a phone over 6 weeks before people can buy it will do. They built up all this hype with the press that has been brutal to them, and then gave them everything they needed to beat them back up again. Stock is dropping, the market they ignored they continue to ignore, and BB10 is still "coming soon". Gets harder and harder to defend this company every day that passes.
    01-30-13 10:57 PM
    God I hope not... That's so much dough to drop on a 30 second spot. Hopefully they can keep the hype rolling until all the carriers get their acts together
    not likely,,, nothing to hype,,, & if the commercial vid that was floating around here is anywhere near legit, it's gonna sting a little,,, upside, some bugs will be worked out & some features missing will be returned...
    01-30-13 11:07 PM
    I NEVER thought about it that way. Gives a whole new twist to the story.
    Oh I can already see where a few people are headed with this. I predict we're going to see a lot of this behaviour for a while. I've already responded to 2-3 people who are acting this way:

1. User really wants a z10 badly
    2. Behaves like an impatient child because (s)he must wait 8 weeks longer than some others
    3. In a childish fit of pique, goes out and says "wah Ima buy an iPhone NAO! That'll teach BB for scorning my love, I'll show them"
    4. Immediately in that one day denies all previous like for BB10 and starts bashing it on the forums while claiming how superior their new non-BB device is.
    graxyq likes this.
    01-30-13 11:07 PM
    So the theory is that RIM's original plan was to launch on Jan 30th and then not have the phone ready to sell ANYWHERE until March? That's even worse than what actually did happen.
    01-31-13 12:24 AM
    So the theory is that RIM's original plan was to launch on Jan 30th and then not have the phone ready to sell ANYWHERE until March?
    RIM's original plan was to launch in Q1 2013. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Villain and Prince_Poppycock like this.
    01-31-13 12:30 AM
    RIM's original plan was to launch in Q1 2013. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Right. I don't know why I'm shocked about it, I already knew for months and months. I guess a little part of me was hoping they would make it earlier.
    01-31-13 12:40 AM