"Sound profiles have been changed up in BlackBerry 10 from what you're used to. You cannot create custom sound profiles anymore, and the volume settings for a profile apply to all of the apps in that profile. In the old BB OS you had Normal, Loud, Medium, Phone Calls Only etc. Now in BB10 they've been cut down to Normal, Phone Calls Only, Vibrate and Silent. It's easier to set up for the average user, but it sort of sucks for power users. For example, on BB OS with my normal profile, I'd always have the phone calls volume maxed out, text messages at a middle volume and BBM messages extremely quiet. This worked great for me - I never want to miss a phone call, and I get so many BBMs that I don't want them to be loud and distracting, yet I still want them audible. With BB10, if I have sounds turned on for an application, they're all coming through at the same volume. All loud, or all quiet. No separate volumes, and I'll admit that kind of sucks. Likewise, BlackBerry made an all or nothing change to Bedside mode. Instead of being able to choose which profile you want to be active during Bedside mode, currently the only option is to either have notifications enabled or fully disabled. Turning off notifications in Bedside mode currently includes disabling the phone from ringing, which negates the whole premise of bedside mode - you want to be disable everything except phone calls. We've talked to BlackBerry about this and more settings will be coming back to Bedside mode in a future maintenance release."

THIS SUCKS...at least for me. Profiles were my favorite part of BB and now they are gone for the most part. I wonder if an app will be made to make it like the old days!
    01-30-13 12:48 PM
    i was really disappointed when i read that too. Bedside mode is jacked up as well all or nothing i really hope they bring some of this back i really loved have such individual control over every little suound. and no word on colour changing on the LED
    01-30-13 12:51 PM
    This was crushing. I've been missing sound profiles for the whole year and a half I've had to use this iPhone for work. I was REALLY looking forward to getting them back (in fact, it was the MAIN reason I was looking forward to BB10). It was one of the primary differentiators between BB and IOS and Android. But it looks like it's no more flexible and functional than a couple of Android apps. I'm now not in any hurry for BB10. (Maybe the 6 week delay to March is so they can put features like this back in before US launch? We can only hope.)
    jhnptrlimo1, pre456 and DJM626 like this.
    01-30-13 12:57 PM
    I wonder if it was something they had to cut out to get the OS ready in time and something we may see in future updates

does it still do contact specific alerts? That's a bigger one for me.
    anon(1005582) and Zirak like this.
    01-30-13 12:57 PM
    I was worried about this too. Also worried about BB mobile conferencing, contact alerts and such....but after today it might just be a moot point. I'm so mad about the crappy launch that BB and Thorsten did not to mention a march release here in the states. I have remained faithful for the past two years, was still a believer....till today. Thorsten, thanks pal, you just turned a hard core fan in to a hater. I'll be stopping by the vzw to look at other options....I'M TIRED OF WAITING AND WAITING TO BE DISAPPOINTED BY RIM EVERY DANG TIME!
    pre456 likes this.
    01-30-13 01:00 PM
    THIS SUCKS!!

i have a driod for the time being and i cant do this !! one of the main things i miss on my bb

Black berry why are you doing this to us smh
    01-30-13 01:00 PM
    Yea this is HUGE, and one of the main reasons I gave up Android to come back to a 9900 during my wait for BB10...now to find out that it's gone in the new OS is utterly mind-boggling...
    01-30-13 01:03 PM
    Netwerks1...exactly. Everything about this is just bad!!! His presentation did nothing to hype anyone up. And how they could take the profiles away is beyond me!! Add features...don't take away!!!
    netwerks1 likes this.
    01-30-13 01:03 PM
    "Sound profiles have been changed up in BlackBerry 10 from what you're used to. You cannot create custom sound profiles anymore, and the volume settings for a profile apply to all of the apps in that profile. In the old BB OS you had Normal, Loud, Medium, Phone Calls Only etc. Now in BB10 they've been cut down to Normal, Phone Calls Only, Vibrate and Silent. It's easier to set up for the average user, but it sort of sucks for power users. For example, on BB OS with my normal profile, I'd always have the phone calls volume maxed out, text messages at a middle volume and BBM messages extremely quiet. This worked great for me - I never want to miss a phone call, and I get so many BBMs that I don't want them to be loud and distracting, yet I still want them audible. With BB10, if I have sounds turned on for an application, they're all coming through at the same volume. All loud, or all quiet. No separate volumes, and I'll admit that kind of sucks. Likewise, BlackBerry made an all or nothing change to Bedside mode. Instead of being able to choose which profile you want to be active during Bedside mode, currently the only option is to either have notifications enabled or fully disabled. Turning off notifications in Bedside mode currently includes disabling the phone from ringing, which negates the whole premise of bedside mode - you want to be disable everything except phone calls. We've talked to BlackBerry about this and more settings will be coming back to Bedside mode in a future maintenance release."

THIS SUCKS...at least for me. Profiles were my favorite part of BB and now they are gone for the most part. I wonder if an app will be made to make it like the old days!
    You have BB Z10?
    01-30-13 01:12 PM
    I'm really pissed seriously i usually have a custom profile for when my boss wants me to come in an work overtime. Her text come in super loud and so do her phone calls. This is something i really need smh RIM yes i said it new company same bs!
    netwerks1 and dreamstate7 like this.
    01-30-13 01:12 PM
    There is still some customization of tones and you can turn some on vibrate etc while the profile itself is set to silent. Individual applications can have individual tones, but the volume isnt controlled at the app level.
    mooda likes this.
    01-30-13 01:16 PM
    "
    I'm really pissed seriously i usually have a custom profile for when my boss wants me to come in an work overtime. Her text come in super loud and so do her phone calls. This is something i really need smh RIM yes i said it new company same bs!
    You can set custom tones per contact
    battery, lorax1284 and mooda like this.
    01-30-13 01:17 PM
    I've never bothered with the custom profiles. My life runs just fine

Sent from my BlackBerry Laguna using Tapatalk 2
    01-30-13 01:21 PM
    I was worried about this too. Also worried about BB mobile conferencing, contact alerts and such....but after today it might just be a moot point. I'm so mad about the crappy launch that BB and Thorsten did not to mention a march release here in the states. I have remained faithful for the past two years, was still a believer....till today. Thorsten, thanks pal, you just turned a hard core fan in to a hater. I'll be stopping by the vzw to look at other options....I'M TIRED OF WAITING AND WAITING TO BE DISAPPOINTED BY RIM EVERY DANG TIME!
    in all reality here if the phone is launching tomorrow on other carriers then who is to blame for making you wait?
    01-30-13 01:22 PM
    You have BB Z10?
    He must lol. He seems to know everything about it.
    Nazoomer likes this.
    01-30-13 01:50 PM
    You have BB Z10?
    The quote is from Kevin's review on front page.
    Mel25 and millerliteboy like this.
    01-30-13 01:57 PM
    He must lol. He seems to know everything about it.
    The quote is from Kevin's review on front page.
    BlackBerry Z10 Review | CrackBerry.com
    01-30-13 01:58 PM
    Wow, if true this is crazy. This is one of my favorite features of my bold..

ALSO another disappointment, I heard the LED indicator on the z10 is ONLY one color??? Which means the classic "I know what message and who its from without turning on the screen" blackberry line can no longer be used. That was probably the favorite part of my bold.
    PJD642, dreamstate7 and Mel25 like this.
    01-30-13 01:59 PM

I agree this is disappointing, but I would almost guarentee that this is the kind of stuff we will see in future updates. As is, BB10 is still a baby OS... Sky's the limit as far as I'm concerned
    austriker, sf49ers, DJM626 and 1 others like this.
    01-30-13 02:07 PM
    As mentioned from someone else, that was not my review. I've been waiting almost a year for this...what a blow!
    01-30-13 02:08 PM
    Highly disappointed here too...the ringer won't ring in bedisde mode unless ALL my sounds are working??? I can't have a blue LED for email and a red one for text messages? But the profiles bugs me the most - I have a noisy one with vibrate for on the road, and a quiet one (less obnoxious sounds) for in office, and another for home. WHY in the world wouldn't those basic things that (almost) EVERYONE uses be available to us???
    austriker likes this.
    01-30-13 02:13 PM
    Without customizable sounds and LED this truly sucks!. I absolutely love that about my BlackBerry and its mind boggling why one would keep the notification light which is classic BlackBerry but take away the features that make them special. They were smart enough to keep making physical keyboards for their many fans that love them but they are forgetting the other things that make them special. As one poster said "add " dont take away. It may sound like a little thing but its a little thing with huge functionality and those of you who love your BlackBerrys know what Im saying is the truth. Hearing this has taken away much of my excitement about getting this phone. I sure hope an app will address this problem.
    austriker and mount.zed like this.
    01-30-13 02:23 PM
    This is like the PlayBook launch all over again.

Features BB users took for granted were either crippled or missing completely.

I really like having different sound profiles based on the message type - I know when I have an SMS message by the sound. I know when I have a BBM message by the sound. Emails? Too many of those so I don't bother with sounds or the notification LED. For me, the LED is reserved for a real-time conversation like SMS or BBM. It's an alert letting me know someone is talking. Emails can wait until I check the device. It's all about personalization.

Bedside mode is another let down. I don't want to hear emails and IM's coming in at 2AM, but if someone is calling me at 2AM it's probably important enough to wake me up.

RIM (Sorry, BlackBerry) has looked at iOS and Android and thought "How can we capture that audience? ... ... ... I know, we'll dumb it down to the same level! Brilliant!"

I bet the more you look throughout the OS the more you'll find that the classic "BlackBerry" features have been removed. Woo and wow the public with the new camera app all you want, but I'll hold onto my Torch 9800.
    trsbbs, PJD642, netwerks1 and 4 others like this.
    01-30-13 02:42 PM
    I wonder if it was something they had to cut out to get the OS ready in time and something we may see in future updates

does it still do contact specific alerts? That's a bigger one for me.
    If they had to cut-out sound profile to finish the operating system, I fear for the future of BlackBerry. Hire people whom can get the job done correctly and on the first release. Maybe Alicia Keyes can fix the sound profiles; the current crop of developers seem out of touch with the smartphone users.
    netwerks1 and AtomicFrost like this.
    01-30-13 02:52 PM
    I don't know on sound profiles, I never used them much, but really I don't get the need to remove them.

BUT on led, I think the ability to peak at the screen, slowly pull up the bottom like we have all seen, is the way to see it. I know not the same, but it is something.
    01-30-13 02:56 PM
137 123 ...