View Poll Results: Were you underwhelmed with the BB10 Launch?

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it was exciting!

64 28.44%
  • Yes, but I'm still buying a BB10 device!

122 54.22%
  • No, but I'm not buying a BB10 device...

6 2.67%
  • Yes, I'm not buying a BB10 device!

33 14.67%
    Just wanted to do a survey, it seems like a lot of people were underwhelmed.
    01-30-13 11:28 AM
    No, because I wasn't expecting anything beyond what they announced. Too many people got caught up in all the hype, hoping that there would be some "secret" knock-out feature announced. It's hard to live up to the ridiculous amounts of hype some people around here built up.

You should have all listened to Bla1ze...
    01-30-13 11:33 AM
    You figure most of the people here would/should be. We've all looked at leak after leak after preview from the get-go. This was the formal announcement for the people who dont follow every breadcrumb there is to follow.

My only real dissapointment was the drop date for the US. Not because it's after everyone else, just because it's so long after the superbowl commercial that they spent so much on. Everyone that doesnt follow blackberry and gets impressed by that commercial is going to have the impression wane long before the phone is avail.

*shrug* Whatcha gunna do. This point I'll probably re-up my contract with something else just to keep my contract locked since by march t-mo wont allow device discounts with contract.
    01-30-13 11:33 AM
    I voted yes underwhelmed and will not buy, but really I am on the fence.

I was very underwhelmed with the presentation. I think it was pretty lame. It seemed like the audience was less than enthusiastic also. But I was fairly impressed with the BB10 OS, although I don't recall seeing anything that really hasn't been leaked already, thus the underwhelmed feeling. I think the new BB10 OS is a big step in the right direction for BB and the industry.
    01-30-13 11:37 AM
    No, because I wasn't expecting anything beyond what they announced. Too many people got caught up in all the hype, hoping that there would be some "secret" knock-out feature announced. It's hard to live up to the ridiculous amounts of hype some people around here built up.
    what mike said. i come to this forum everyday and i knew that a lot of stuff talked about at the launch event would be things i already knew or was expecting. this event was more for your average joe, not the enthusiast who actively seeks out the information.
    01-30-13 11:40 AM
    I didn't think it was underwhelming at all, I think those who did had bought into the highly dubious conspiracy theory that rim were behind most of the leaks when the reality is that they probably hated most of them.
    01-30-13 11:41 AM
    No PlayBook update. No phones in the US for about 60 days. Didn't really see anything new. Change the company name? Yawn. Ms. Keys was a bright spot.
    Just so you know, he did confirm a PlayBook update.
    Just no date.
    01-30-13 11:41 AM
    Yes, Because it beats the iphone5 and SG3 on almost every metric.
    01-30-13 11:42 AM
    They needed a home run and they legged out an infield single. The phone is great, the OS is great, but the event and presentation was brutal to watch at times, there was poor audience response, and no surprises or "wow" moments. I thought they would talk about the PlayBook on BB10 and the integration of the platform with that and other devices with more specifics. Just very dry and uninspiring.
    01-30-13 11:44 AM
    Except one; availability!
    hahaha cheeky! i like
    01-30-13 11:45 AM
    I'm not underwhelmed because i did not buy into the hype. But i didnt find it exciting.
    It went as i expected and i will be buying it
    01-30-13 11:45 AM
    Except one; availability!
    its out tomorrow
    undone and MC_A_DOT like this.
    01-30-13 11:46 AM
    i was impressed even though ive watched every leak i can, i knew the hub was deeply integrated but i didnt know you could go that far into apps and notifications without leaving the hub at all i assumed you could go in and reply or check something and thatd be it, i had a quick scan of android central and imore and the general feeling is that the new phone is impressive (from android) and that they can reccommend BB to others as a simple phone easy to learn over iphone now, imore seem to be silent on the launch though

the only disappointment for me is the release date for America, it doesnt affect me as the phones are avaliable tomorrow in my country but Rim worked hard on their advertisements and the American CBers must be really disappointed to have to wait so long - that said its probably the carriers and not RIM holding the phones back (theyd be stupid to)
    Attached Thumbnails Were you underwhelmed?-untitled.png  
    01-30-13 11:46 AM
    Strict Apple user here. The presentation was lackluster, nothing new that wasn't already known, ecosystem is raw. That being said, it is a very promising system. I like many of the features and the hardware seems very solid. Good luck RI.....err....Blackberry. Competition is always good.

Not a home run, but more of a solid double.
    01-30-13 11:49 AM
    I was excited, simply because I wanted to see if there was going to be a physical keyboard version. I have no intention of getting the Z version. If I wanted a full touchscreen, I'd just keep my 4S. I've always regretted selling my 9900 and getting the iPhone. The Q is exactly what I want. I will miss the trackpad, but by eliminating that whole row of buttons, it made the screen just a little bit bigger, which is what the 9900 needed to begin with.
    01-30-13 11:51 AM
    poll results so far don;t surprise me. I think most people recognize that this was an IT company presentation without expectations of laser light shows and hollywood performers.
    01-30-13 11:54 AM
    Yes I was and not because of nothing new mentioned. It was kind clunky and the audience didn't seem very enthusiastic. The release for the USA was disappointing but then again I'm waiting for my contract which is in the fall so no real biggie for me.
    01-30-13 11:55 AM
    A little, but it was still cool to see it running. The Q1 was cooler than I thought it would be and the OS is nice. Skype and Kindle were nice surprises.
    01-30-13 11:57 AM
    I was hyped initially...until the release dates were announced.
    Then the initial reviews came in and confirmed some of my worst fears. Battery life is said to be at best average, at worst mediocre. Coming from the battery life disaster that was the Bold 9900, this sucks real bad. Disappointing to see CB's review gloss over the battery life situation.

3rd party app situation is also suspect. Engadget and TheVerge reviews mentioned serious dearth of quality in many of the apps there, with some apps even being formatted poorly. Android app player still seems to be based on Gingerbread, not ICS.

Finally, CB's review glossed over the camera performance, but initial reports put the picture quality as nowhere in the league of the likes of iPhone 4S/5, Galaxy S3/Note II and HTC One X. And Most OEMs in 2013 are even beefing up their camera performance to exceed the high water marks of 2012.

I'm definitely still getting one, but it does not seem to live up to the hype. I'll reserve my final judgement until when I get it in my hands.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-30-13 11:57 AM
    Sure there was a lot of info here that had already been leaked, but there were still a few surprises -- for me, anyway. Story maker, the built-in photo editor, BB Remember, all stuff I wasn't aware of. So maybe it wasn't a sock star knock-your-socks-off event; I still wouldn't call it 'underwhelming'.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-30-13 12:01 PM
    I'm not underwhelmed. I've been waiting for the announcement since last year!

I agree that the audience were not as excited as I thought they would be. Especially when the guy mentioned "You don't need to reboot your device!". I can tell he was hoping that people will laugh or something.

This is coming from someone who checks Crackberry every few hours.
    I found that they didn't show anything exciting that would make the crowd wow, which they could have, such as using NFC to add a contact on bbm or to send an app? I don't know, they should have done something to catch peoples attention. I still want the Z10 but I fear not many non-blackberry users will feel the same.
    Yes, Because it beats the iphone5 and SG3 on almost every metric.
    The GS3?? You *can't* be serious! That's the most laughable comment I've ever heard. I gave up waiting on RIM in December and ditched my 9810 for a GS3 and I can't tell you how absolutely satisfied I am and happy I didn't. Wait on this huge disappointment from BB!

Just about every spec of the Z10 was current a year ago, and surpassed by the competition 6 months ago and will be trounced in another month with MWC announcements in Barcelona.

Cheers,
    TRJB

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    mikeo007 and raysgrumpy like this.
    01-30-13 12:04 PM
    For me I didn't have to be sold on the phone like most of us who's been keeping up with all the leak For the past few months this was more for everyone else who reallly didn't know much about BB10, and. The u.s. Launch date to me is o.k. Cause that's around the time I would have the money and be able to get my white Z10, and in the U.S. Many people will be getting there income tax around march. Lol!
    01-30-13 12:06 PM
    The audience response was really surprising to me, you'd think they'd stack the deck w/ some ringers/homers but there were definitely some really awkward moments where the guy on stage was waiting for applause and it trickled in (It was really bad during the App World presentation)
    01-30-13 12:10 PM
54 123