The Z10 is a good smartphone. Frankly, it's a better smartphone than I expected from RIM at this stage in the game. It does everything a modern phone should do, usually without hesitation. It doesn't do everything perfectly, but it does many things � most things � reasonably well.

The problem with the Z10 is that it doesn't necessarily do anything better than any of its competition. Sure, there are arguments that could be made about how it handles messages or the particulars of its camera, but no one could argue that there's a "killer app" here. Something that makes you want or need this phone because it can do what no other phone can do. That's not the case � in fact if anything is the case, it's that the Z10 can't yet do some things that other devices can. Or at least, can't do them quite as well.

And that's where I end up. The Z10 is a fine device, well made, reasonably priced, backed by a company with a long track record. But it's not the only device of its kind, and it's swimming against a massive wave of entrenched players with really, really good products. Products they figured out how to make years ago. Products that are mature. The smartphone industry doesn't need saving.

If you love RIM and the BlackBerry brand and really want to keep supporting them, buying a Z10 wouldn't be a mistake. But I think there are better phones on the market, and I don't yet see a compelling reason for most customers to choose this phone over those better ones. So why the Z10? Why now? Until Research In Motion can answer that question, I would be careful about how you spend your money.
    EWY likes this.
    01-30-13 10:51 AM
    The Z10 is a good smartphone. Frankly, it's a better smartphone than I expected from RIM at this stage in the game. It does everything a modern phone should do, usually without hesitation. It doesn't do everything perfectly, but it does many things — most things — reasonably well.

The problem with the Z10 is that it doesn't necessarily do anything better than any of its competition. Sure, there are arguments that could be made about how it handles messages or the particulars of its camera, but no one could argue that there's a "killer app" here. Something that makes you want or need this phone because it can do what no other phone can do. That's not the case — in fact if anything is the case, it's that the Z10 can't yet do some things that other devices can. Or at least, can't do them quite as well.

And that's where I end up. The Z10 is a fine device, well made, reasonably priced, backed by a company with a long track record. But it's not the only device of its kind, and it's swimming against a massive wave of entrenched players with really, really good products. Products they figured out how to make years ago. Products that are mature. The smartphone industry doesn't need saving.

If you love RIM and the BlackBerry brand and really want to keep supporting them, buying a Z10 wouldn't be a mistake. But I think there are better phones on the market, and I don't yet see a compelling reason for most customers to choose this phone over those better ones. So why the Z10? Why now? Until Research In Motion can answer that question, I would be careful about how you spend your money.
    I think the bolded part is the view BlackBerry will have to fight to overcome.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-30-13 10:53 AM
    Many outlets have mentioned the "lack of apps" as well. Sure, apple has a bazillion apps, but what percentage are essentially duplicates? what, 5000 fart apps and the like? The talking point should be on QUALITY of APPS, not the NUMBER of apps.
    jinxednuance and meganVee like this.
    01-30-13 10:56 AM
    i read it and its not "harsh" but realistic i think. All concerns they mention are probably valid. None of us have got it in our hands yet so its hard to say for sure.
    01-30-13 10:57 AM
    Ok so what cant the Z10 do that other phones can do???? I like how they didnt tell us.
    01-30-13 10:59 AM
    sounds spot on from what i saw.
    its competitive, but not a clear cut winner.
    its not saying you shouldnt buy one, its saying there's no overwhelming reason to buy one and it comes down to preference
    mithrazor and BSFA2008 like this.
    01-30-13 11:00 AM
    Many outlets have mentioned the "lack of apps" as well. Sure, apple has a bazillion apps, but what percentage are essentially duplicates? what, 5000 fart apps and the like? The talking point should be on QUALITY of APPS, not the NUMBER of apps.
    And RIM/BB will take a beating there too.
    anon5398027, BSFA2008 and mikeo007 like this.
    01-30-13 11:01 AM
    Hows many apps did wp8 launch with?
    meganVee likes this.
    01-30-13 11:01 AM
    ***** blogger post IMO. No mention of the hub, the active frames, or the cascades, or the peek feature. None of that sheet is on other phones. What a moron. Someone should queue the gong show.
    meganVee and redk like this.
    01-30-13 11:02 AM
    They one big thought that kept going through my mind when it was over is Where were the "holy cow just wait you haven't seen it all yet" features we were supposed to see?! I can overlook the B- peresentation by Thor cuz we don't need a hyped up cheerleader (we have Kevin for that =)) but there just seemed to be an underwhelming lack of something I can't put my finger on.
    01-30-13 11:02 AM
    ***** blogger post IMO. No mention of the hub, the active frames, or the cascades, or the peek feature. None of that sheet is on other phones. What a moron. Someone should queue the gong show.
    not being funny, but they arent winning features to everyone...
    most people are happy with the messaging systems they have already and peek and flow will not change anything for them.
    Blackberry ahs always done messaging better, and BB10 hasnt changed that. But it never helped the old platform against rivals and i dont see that changing with BB10
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-30-13 11:04 AM
    We need to find the ORIGINAL source of the 01/30 Surprise rumor and jump him/her LOL.
    01-30-13 11:04 AM
    Exactly. He should give some examples. I'd love to hear them.

Ok so what cant the Z10 do that other phones can do???? I like how they didnt tell us.
    01-30-13 11:05 AM
    It's the verge. Horrible website. Always has been.
    01-30-13 11:10 AM
    They one big thought that kept going through my mind when it was over is Where were the "holy cow just wait you haven't seen it all yet" features we were supposed to see?! I can overlook the B- peresentation by Thor cuz we don't need a hyped up cheerleader (we have Kevin for that =)) but there just seemed to be an underwhelming lack of something I can't put my finger on.
    Would have to agree, felt the entire presentation was a bit underwhelming. Stating that however, I did like what I saw.
    01-30-13 11:10 AM
    sounds spot on from what i saw.
    its competitive, but not a clear cut winner.
    its not saying you shouldnt buy one, its saying there's no overwhelming reason to buy one and it comes down to preference
    And that deserves a score of 7?
    01-30-13 11:11 AM
    Another kind of negative review by Engadget

BlackBerry Z10 review

01-30-13 11:11 AM
    Have to say I was pretty disappointed by what I saw... there really was nothing that we hadn't already seen in the "leaks". I for one was waiting for that big surprise that would make people leave andriod and iphone for our beloved Blackberry but alas... that moment never came. Having said that I will buy a Z10 because I'm a BB guy but the presentation left me kind of "blah".
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-30-13 11:12 AM
    I have to say, as excited as I am for BB10, the announcement this morning was a let down. First, release date in the US is terrible (not RIM's fault I know). Second, I want the Q10...so that's fun. Third, the part of the presentation that I was most anticipating was apps. After the presentation, the part that was most disappointing was...apps.

Great, you have Skype. I don't use Skype. My company doesn't use Skype, we use Google Hangouts. You have Kindle. Believe it or not, I don't read novels on my phone, I have a tablet for that. Great, you have Box. I use Dropbox...why no mention? Is it not ready? I also use Google Drive...again it's not directly RIM's fault that Google hasn't developed the app, but at the end of the day, it's Blackberry's problem.

For that matter, no mention of anything Google. At all. Guess what? Both my personal and work lives are heavily integrated into the Google ecosystem. I use Google for Gmail, Texting (Voice), Calendar, Contacts, Drive, Music, Books, News (Currents & Google News), Social (Google+), Maps, Chat, Photos (Google+/Picasa), and Video (YouTube - which was limited to the webapp in the demo today). At some point, it's on RIM to get that on their platform.

I'm being very critical, I know. It's just that I was really excited and I'm feeling deflated. I still plan on buying a Q10. In fact, I might get impatient and buy a Z10 to use until the Q10 is available. But I'm not normal. Normal people who use all these specific products & services will be very disinclined to take the plunge on BB10. I really hope RIM can remedy the situation, and quickly.
    01-30-13 11:15 AM
    And that deserves a score of 7?
    i feel its directly related to the hype that built it up.
    wanna blame someone, blame the people who set it up to fall. the over zealous fans
    anon5398027 and m1a1mg like this.
    01-30-13 11:23 AM
    Another kind of negative review by Engadget

BlackBerry Z10 review

they at least gave a reasonable idea on battery life.
    01-30-13 11:24 AM
    The mobilesyrup.com review talked about the quality of apps - Buggy and less features then their apple/android counterparts.
    01-30-13 11:26 AM
    This is harsh?
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    01-30-13 11:29 AM
    I hate this argument so much. Having a large catalog of apps ensures that the apps that are specific to my needs are available. Your app needs might be completely different, but there is a good chance you would find it in the iOS/Google Play store. For example, my coworkers most used app has to do with Fishing (weather reports, and fishing conditions for his favorite locations). An app I would never use, but is his most important app (certainly to him more important than Skype and Netflix).
    01-30-13 12:04 PM
    I agree with alot of what you said. See my comments in red.

I have to say, as excited as I am for BB10, the announcement this morning was a let down. First, release date in the US is terrible (not RIM's fault I know). Second, I want the Q10...so that's fun. Third, the part of the presentation that I was most anticipating was apps. After the presentation, the part that was most disappointing was...apps.

Great, you have Skype. I don't use Skype. My company doesn't use Skype, we use Google Hangouts. You have Kindle. Believe it or not, I don't read novels on my phone, I have a tablet for that. Great, you have Box. I use Dropbox...why no mention? Is it not ready?Pretty sure the standalone app IS ready and I know the dropbox service is also integrated into many of the native apps. There is a great app for playbook - this means you can expect it on BB10 too - called Files and Folders. That app works with Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, Sugersync, and Skydrive. I have it. I use it. It works. I also use Google Drive...again it's not directly RIM's fault that Google hasn't developed the app, but at the end of the day, it's Blackberry's problem.

For that matter, no mention of anything Google. At all. Guess what? Both my personal and work lives are heavily integrated into the Google ecosystem. I use Google for Gmail, Texting (Voice), Calendar, Contacts, Drive, Music, Books, News (Currents & Google News), Social (Google+), Maps, Chat, Photos (Google+/Picasa), and Video (YouTube - which was limited to the webapp in the demo today). I can't address EVERY google service you mentioned, but you can rest assured that gmail, contacts, and calendar will work for you. They're available on the playbook and work very well - auto syncing and everything else.At some point, it's on RIM to get that on their platform.

I'm being very critical, I know. It's just that I was really excited and I'm feeling deflated. I still plan on buying a Q10. In fact, I might get impatient and buy a Z10 to use until the Q10 is available. But I'm not normal. Normal people who use all these specific products & services will be very disinclined to take the plunge on BB10. I really hope RIM can remedy the situation, and quickly.
    01-30-13 01:11 PM
35 12