the device memory gets lower and lower...i didnt install any 3rd party apps...i closed every app

fro 22.1MB its down to 18.2 now....in 4 hours!!!
    09-27-08 03:24 PM
    the device memory gets lower and lower...i didnt install any 3rd party apps...i closed every app

fro 22.1MB its down to 18.2 now....in 4 hours!!!
    First off let me ask what build you have installed? Second, with the JVM, some memory leak is normal, and it's never going to go fully away. There are still large memory leaks up to atleast .154. I know it sucks, but they will get it more under control.
    09-27-08 03:27 PM
    Could it be cached objects?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-08 08:37 PM
    Ok so I have been testing a little and haven't noticed it being a huge problem but I did a full restart and made note of the memory at start and I will keep an eye on it for the next few hours.

If there is a memory leak it has not been a problem before. I have yet to get slow downs or out of memory errors....
    09-27-08 08:56 PM
    Ok so I have been testing a little and haven't noticed it being a huge problem but I did a full restart and made note of the memory at start and I will keep an eye on it for the next few hours.

If there is a memory leak it has not been a problem before. I have yet to get slow downs or out of memory errors....
    Really? I'm not using my 9000, but I'm told and I see that most people revert back to .150 over .154. Although .158 and .161 is being tested now. It just let's you know something's up when theres this many betas in such a short amount of time.
    09-27-08 09:01 PM
    Really? I'm not using my 9000, but I'm told and I see that most people revert back to .150 over .154. Although .158 and .161 is being tested now. It just let's you know something's up when theres this many betas in such a short amount of time.
    I hear you. .158 or .161 haven't come to the field yet but there are a few minor items, nothing I would say is a release impacting issue but minor little things that 99% of most users won't notice anyway.
    09-27-08 09:28 PM
    I hear you. .158 or .161 haven't come to the field yet but there are a few minor items, nothing I would say is a release impacting issue but minor little things that 99% of most users won't notice anyway.
    Yeah, I've been told of a few. The other builds I mentioned are still internal and haven't been released to all Partners yet. GL with your testing PG.
    09-27-08 09:32 PM
    If it is memory leak you wish to fix i would be looking at the OS .150

I have just recently installed the .150 beta to my handset and it has made a number of significant changes.

The one thing you will have to watch out for with this version of OS are the wifi issues. Seeing as i never use my wifi i wasnt troubled by this at all. just a matter of personal preferrence i guess
    09-27-08 11:19 PM
    If it is memory leak you wish to fix i would be looking at the OS .150

I have just recently installed the .150 beta to my handset and it has made a number of significant changes.

The one thing you will have to watch out for with this version of OS are the wifi issues. Seeing as i never use my wifi i wasnt troubled by this at all. just a matter of personal preferrence i guess
    I've been using .150 since 09/20 and I haven't experienced any issues with Wi-Fi...
    09-28-08 03:22 AM
    i'm using .126

how can i restore the memory? it goes from 18.6 to 18.3 to 16.9 to 17.3 to 18.1 lol...wtf??
    09-28-08 10:49 AM
    I'd upgrade to .150 or wait for .154 or higher to appear. I have been running .150 for over a week and it is definitely better for memory management and .154 is supposed to be even better.
    09-28-08 12:15 PM
    Ok so after about 14 hours I see no change in available memory. This is on SW .154. I also don't have a lot of other stuff loaded on it...
    09-28-08 12:31 PM
    How do I find the memory available and whether or not I have a memory leak problem with my Bold?

What are the symptoms and problems as a result of a memory leak?

Thanks
    09-28-08 03:01 PM
    To check your memory go to option, status or memory.

Ok so I looked at my status after reading this thread and I had 1mg of filesfree !
    I didn't realize I was that low because the first time I went and looked at the memory, not status.
    Man I'm pissed...I had to restart my curve 2-3 times a day! I don't want to have to do that with my Bold too!
    Anyway, I restarted my bold and at 4:30 I had 20mg of filesfree. It is almost 6pm and I'm down to 13mg!
    I am not liking this at all!

09-28-08 04:58 PM
    Thanks
    When you say restart do you mean a battery pull or just a shut down?
    Also what are the effects of low memory?
    09-28-08 05:35 PM
    Either way is fine. Many argue that a battery pull does more than just a soft reset. I only do the soft reset (alt, aA, del)) anyway.

The effects of low memory is data loss. Your emails, call logs, etc disappears among other things.

09-28-08 05:40 PM
    Thanks again.
    I hope you don't mean data loss is permanent?
    How do you know that the soft reset has occurred ie is there a reboot of some form?
    09-28-08 05:46 PM
    Thanks again.
    I hope you don't mean data loss is permanent?
    How do you know that the soft reset has occurred ie is there a reboot of some form?
    If memory manager kicks in to retrieve memory, yes the data is gone from your BB. Email might still be on the server if you use IMAP, otherwise if you don't have a backup, or copies of email to another machine - its gone.

Soft reset will reboot.
    09-28-08 06:05 PM
    yup...data loss is permanent. You avoid this by making sure your memory is always maintained at a specific level.
    Do a search on freeing up memory and avoiding memory leaks...lots of info in here.

When you do a soft reset, (which is doing the key sequence alt, aA, del) you screen turns off and reboots. So it's pretty obvious your phone is rebooting.
    Is that what you were asking?

09-28-08 06:06 PM
    I mentioned .154 .158 .161, well add .162 onto that list as well.
    09-28-08 06:15 PM
    Thanks for all your help.

Great forum with great members.

Darryl
    09-28-08 06:26 PM
    Ok so it's now 8:54pm and I'm down to 4mg.
    I have done nothing but chat on BBM and surf CB.
    I'm disappointed
    09-28-08 07:56 PM
    Like a few others I'd suggest upgrading the OS. I'm currently running .147 offiicial france and have not had any real issues. I have been running it atraight for at least a week know and my memory has never gone down below 17MB.

09-28-08 08:05 PM
    Ok so it's now 8:54pm and I'm down to 4mg.
    I have done nothing but chat on BBM and surf CB.
    I'm disappointed
    Definitely go on the hunt for .150, I've had it loaded for about 4 days now and experiencing no memory leak at all anymore
    09-28-08 08:06 PM
    Ok...I have never done an OS upgrade but I am assuming it's simple enough.
    I'll go ahead and search for the OS in here.
    I'll update you guys on how it goes.
    09-28-08 08:21 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD