I've had this bberry for almost 2 years now, and it worked fine up until about a month ago when the phone would turn off with a "battery drained" popup when on a phone call, streaming a video on youtube, playing my music, or even when my internet cache goes to about 1MB without clearing it. Almost every time it wouldnt turn on regularly, and would require a battery pull. I've reinstalled the OS several times, downgraded, upgraded, etc. and It still didn't fix the issue.

When using data, I can open maybe 2 or 3 web pages with the browser before my phone would turn off. After the battery pull, I could expect to see the battery drop from 90% to as low as 0%.
    With wi-fi, it the browser would at-least go for 20-30 pages before shutting down, but it wouldn't shut down if i clear my cache regularly every 2-3 pages. Battery also drains between 30 seconds to 1:30 of watching a video.

I've also done
    1: Remove and reinsert the microSD card.
    AND
    2: Turn the BB Compression Setting off.

Both have not helped at all. I went from regular/heavy use of BBM, facebook, and browser and sometimes music lasting 2-3 days without charge to it barely lasting 12 hours with minimum use.

Please give me some suggestions. I've searched a solution for this regularly and I've seen several people with the same issue.

Thanks in advance!
    01-27-13 01:03 AM
    Sounds like your battery is dying.
    01-27-13 01:37 AM
    I have a battery issue related to that and I don't think it's a battery problem. Mine does a battery drain and when I do a hard reset, it could come up at 100% or 80% or whatever, then drain to 1%. It can remain at 1% for hours before finally shutting it.

I have checked every possibility, software upgrade and downgrades, possible app causes etc. yet no solutions. Funny thing is, when I plug it in, it indicates that it charges but the battery indicator doesn't increase. If I leave it on with the charger for about 1 hour and remove it, it acts as though it charges and can remain on for more than 2 or even 4 hours before shutting down.

I have checked through even forum known and it seems my BBerry has a peculiar issue as I haven't found a similar case being mentioned.

And btw, I have bought a new battery and it does just the same thing.

Any ideas?
    01-29-13 10:16 AM
    I have the exact problem and I have not been able to find a solution. I downloaded and installed an app called "Plug it in" and set the "Low battery level:" option to 10%. It made it better but it still shuts down once it hits like 50% of the battery's charge.

I've tried installing different OS versions (including OS 5 and 6), replacing batteries, using the phone with and without the SD card, completely wiping it, turning off data compression and turning on and off carrier's network and wi-fi network to no avail. I've noticed that this NEVER happens if the phone is plugged into the charger so I don't really know what's going on and I've found no one that has been able to fix this issue.

I wish I could be of more help rather than provide what I already know.
    02-03-13 12:59 AM
    Hi, it most likely is a battery issue..ive had my 9700 for over 3 years already and almost a week ago it started draining after a full charge. I went to a place here in Chicago called battery plus and I was able to buy a replacement battery and now, on one charge, I can make it through the day.

I've had this bberry for almost 2 years now, and it worked fine up until about a month ago when the phone would turn off with a "battery drained" popup when on a phone call, streaming a video on youtube, playing my music, or even when my internet cache goes to about 1MB without clearing it. Almost every time it wouldnt turn on regularly, and would require a battery pull. I've reinstalled the OS several times, downgraded, upgraded, etc. and It still didn't fix the issue.

When using data, I can open maybe 2 or 3 web pages with the browser before my phone would turn off. After the battery pull, I could expect to see the battery drop from 90% to as low as 0%.
    With wi-fi, it the browser would at-least go for 20-30 pages before shutting down, but it wouldn't shut down if i clear my cache regularly every 2-3 pages. Battery also drains between 30 seconds to 1:30 of watching a video.

I've also done
    1: Remove and reinsert the microSD card.
    AND
    2: Turn the BB Compression Setting off.

Both have not helped at all. I went from regular/heavy use of BBM, facebook, and browser and sometimes music lasting 2-3 days without charge to it barely lasting 12 hours with minimum use.

Please give me some suggestions. I've searched a solution for this regularly and I've seen several people with the same issue.

Thanks in advance!
    02-21-13 12:49 PM
    I have this same basic problem, sometimes it shuts down at 75%. Usually, when it does that I have to plug in to get it to start-up again, then the meter shows around 30% charge.

I decided to check the battery with a multimeter after it did this and found the voltage ranging from 3.60v to 3.90v depending which contacts you test to with the positive lead always on the positive connector. This indicates to me that there is either a bad contact between battery and phone or the power circuit is not reading properly. I would expect a 3.7v battery to be more than 30% at 3.60v.

Also, if I leave it shutoff for a while the charge comes back up to 75%+
    03-02-13 12:57 AM
    My 9700 behaves the same way. I got it on contract in June 2011, and about a year later started to experience battery shut downs like the OP stated. I reduced my usage to basically frequent text and occasional talk. My best solution was to get into the habit of shutting the device off every night before bed. I have the alarm set to turn it back on (and to wake me up) each morning. Sorry I can't offer any technical solution to the problem.
    03-02-13 09:06 PM
    I had issues with my older blackberry and it turned out the battery had gone bad. What I mean by that is when I finally examined the battery it was bloated and puffy. I think you should troubleshoot by popping in a new battery. Best of luck
    Noel Breaks likes this.
    03-07-13 12:20 PM
    you phone has a hardware problem maybe a litele short caused by a filter whitch one well my friend you have to serch
    start whit te ic flash cam generaly y damege whith wet but i recomendyou to give up un take to the service
    03-07-13 12:27 PM
    My wife's 9700 took a dump and we paid the deductable to get a new one. The new 9700 works great, except that it drains 5x as fast as her old one. I believe its a software version with hers.
    03-07-13 01:39 PM
    Hi there, I've bought two new BB batteries allready and charge them full as it must be. As soon as the battery comes to half, it says: Battery drained, shutting down. Sometimes even at three quarter full and then it shuts down. What could the problem be. I have a 9700 bold.

I've tried to upgraded and downgrade my software.
    Thanks
    Tess Jordaan
    03-11-13 02:18 AM
    Hi there, I've bought two new BB batteries allready and charge them full as it must be. As soon as the battery comes to half, it says: Battery drained, shutting down. Sometimes even at three quarter full and then it shuts down. What could the problem be. I have a 9700 bold.

My software is upgraded.

Thanks

Tess Jordaan
    03-11-13 02:39 AM
    i have my blackberry with the problem of battery drained shut down handled i tried to replace with a new battery but the same sms displays
    05-02-13 05:51 AM
    the problem is Twitter ... just log out and see the difference ... if you cant live without being logged in, then change the refresh times

for me this solved the prob .. from 8 hours life to 2 days

02-08-14 05:21 AM
    Hi, I just bought a new charger with an output voltage 11V and solve this problem. I hope it work for you!
    02-24-14 11:21 PM