My wife called the Rogers Plus store to inquire about buying the Z10 outright without a contract and the rep from the store said they may not be selling them outright due to high demand and will only take new contacts and contract renewal. WTF!? We have 1 reserved and were going to buy it outright, instead of renewing one of our phones contracts and now they say we may not be able too.
    01-26-13 08:41 AM
    My wife called the Rogers Plus store to inquire about buying the Z10 outright without a contract and the rep from the store said they may not be selling them outright due to high demand and will only take new contacts and contract renewal. WTF!? We have 1 reserved and were going to buy it outright, instead of renewing one of our phones contracts and now they say we may not be able too.
    Think it would be possible to buy from a different carrier and unlock it or unlocked direct from RIM?
    01-26-13 08:58 AM
    We've been with rogers for years, but i wanted to own it outright instead of going through all the contract renewal BS. I see they work it to there advantage eh? brutal.
    01-26-13 09:01 AM
    I would call around to other stores then. It's usually up to each store if they want to sell outright or not but if you do some digging you should be able to find a store that will let you buy them off contract.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-26-13 09:06 AM
    We did... there a 3 rogers store/sellers here and they all said the same.
    01-26-13 09:19 AM
    Do you not have phone shops over there? A carrier is bound to be reluctant to sell you a phone, they would prefer you go through them for the contract or PAYG.

A phone shop wants to sell you a phone - entirely different, surely?
    01-26-13 09:30 AM
    I just called Rogers, Sales/Customer Service as well as an actual store. The Customer Service guy put me on hold and checked and said they don't know of any restriction on selling BB10 phones. He didn't think that would be the case unless Blackberry put that restriction on (which he didn't think was likely). I hope not as I'm not due for an upgrade yet and want to buy outright too!
    01-26-13 09:36 AM
    Rogers did the same thing when the 9900 was launched. But people soon found that that certain stores either didn't get the memo or didn't care and were selling them outright. A lot of people, including myself got one from one of those stores.
    01-26-13 10:53 AM
    I went into the store where I have it reserved for and asked in person, they would not bend. In the first breath they said no can do, buying it out right and in the second, they said they have no material on the BB10 yet... well then how do they know ROFL! oh the games people play...
    01-28-13 08:40 AM
    If rogers pulls some shenanigans like this I will gladly take my business to wireless wave or someone else.
    01-28-13 09:44 AM
    You have it on reserve and you are a current customer with them. They wont refuse you when you are there in their face. They tried the same thing with the 9900. I called and was told they would only sell if I re upped my contract when in and said I wanted it an they handed it over no renewal needed. Its easy to say no over the phone. Most reps would rather not **** of a paying customer.
    01-28-13 01:09 PM
    I may have to strong arm. I received a 100 gift card for xmas for rogers as well and I better be able to use that as well toward it.... or I will not be happy to say the least.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-28-13 01:40 PM
    That rep is stupid.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-28-13 04:02 PM
    This is not true.

The stores make money on contract renewals, whether its a new contract or a hardware upgrade. They dont, when they sell the hardware outright. This is strictly a business move by the manager to reserve it for a customer that would make them more money (because of limited stock). They would rather sell it to a customer that would make them more money. That being said, this is NOT coming from head office.

With a reservation, theyre going to have to take it though. They definitely cant say no.

Source: Former Rogers Vendor Employee
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-30-13 06:54 AM
    We'll see in the next day or so when (if) they even call me... They seem to "play dumb"... as if they don't have any material yet for it..
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-30-13 07:50 AM
    I wouldnt worry. Rogers store tried that on me when i reserved an iphone 5. I basically just told them, if you're not selling them out right then why would the reservation system let me reserve a device if I am not up for renewal. They then sold it to me.

so if you reserved one then I wouldnt worry.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-30-13 12:02 PM
    i just finished chatting with a rogers rep on-line.. shouldn't be an issue

You are chatting with Tanya H.Rogers Live Chat
    1:03 PM Connecting...
    1:03 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    1:11 PM Support session established with Tanya H.
    1:11 PM Tanya H:
    Hi, you've reached Tanya, how may I help you?
    1:12 PM michael :
    hello. today i reserved a blackberry Z10 on-line and to be picked up in a near by store. I will be purchasing the device out right as i am not up for upgrade. will i have any issues from the rogers store?
    1:12 PM Tanya H:
    No you should be able just to go to the store when it comes in and get it
    1:13 PM michael:
    ok so I will be able to purchase the device at full price? do you know what the cost will be?
    1:13 PM Tanya H:
    I am unsure of the cost yet I apologize
    1:13 PM Tanya H:
    Keep checking www.rogers.com/telephones
    1:13 PM michael :
    no worries
    1:13 PM michael :
    thanks
    English
    Tanya H
    01-30-13 12:17 PM
    I tried to reserve one, and it only gives me an option to choose a new plan I like my plan, I'm grandfathered
    01-30-13 10:45 PM
    Rogers did the same thing when the 9900 was launched. But people soon found that that certain stores either didn't get the memo or didn't care and were selling them outright. A lot of people, including myself got one from one of those stores.
    01-30-13 10:50 PM
    01-30-13 10:55 PM
    If you are buying it out right why not shop around? I thought they were unlocked till you put in a sim card.
    01-31-13 06:18 AM
    Guys best thing to do is wait until is posted on Rogers website and order it on line that's what I did with my ex bb9810 and my present bb9900 and will with my new bb10 u will get it in about 2 to 3 days at your door step.
    01-31-13 06:39 AM
    Garbage... they cannot force you onto a contract/renewal if you don't want. If anyone has a problem, direct the person in question to the Rogers/Fido Reservation System FAQ:

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...ation%20System

Under: How much will the reserved device cost? its says:

When picking up the reservation, you have several options for purchasing your new device. As an existing customer, standard hardware upgrade eligibility rules and fees may apply. Please speak to your Rogers representative in store when picking up the reserved device for your specific upgrade pricing.

If you do not wish to commit to a new term agreement, you are able to purchase the device at no term pricing. [emphasis added]
    127.0.0.1, Lendo, keefrto and 1 others like this.
    01-31-13 02:31 PM
    This is why I don't deal with the Big 3 directly, go through a phone store like wireless wave or such, they do what ever it takes, plus there is always some kind of kick back, in store credit and such that they will offer. Just go in educated in what you want and what the cost are and they will work with you.
    02-05-13 08:42 AM
    Shouldn't be a problem. I just checked their website and the device is $599 without a plan. http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...+11+4294948709

Coincidentally, I got a call from my local Rogers store as a I was reading this thread, calling to tell me my Z10 is ready for pickup. On my way there right now!
    02-05-13 08:56 AM
39 12