Does someone have any update when the BB10 for playbook will be release this year ?

Thanks

Eric
    01-22-13 08:16 AM
    I got the impression from Vivek that we shouldn't hold our breath. It might not be coming to the PlayBook anytime soon...
    01-22-13 08:44 AM
    I got the impression from Vivek that we shouldn't hold our breath. It might not be coming to the PlayBook anytime soon...
    Well, you got the worst possible impression. There have been plenty of offical sources saying that it will happen. Latest was John at Beta Zone (yes, the project manger for the PB over there).

So no. "shouldn't hold our breath" is not the right one to go here. It will be out. I'd go for 2-3 months after phones are fully deployed, but it may be sooner.
    carlyincanada, MTL and antiRIM like this.
    01-22-13 08:54 AM
    Well, you got the worst possible impression. There have been plenty of offical sources saying that it will happen. Latest was John at Beta Zone (yes, the project manger for the PB over there). So no. "shouldn't hold our breath" is not the right one to go here. It will be out. I'd go for 2-3 months after phones are fully deployed, but it may be sooner.
    Are we speaking about an OS update to the current Playbook or are you thinking a 'New' playbook?
    01-22-13 08:57 AM
    "Vivek also stressed the BlackBerry PlayBook is still getting updated to BlackBerry 10 in 2013 with a free update that will breathe some serious life into the product."
    01-22-13 09:04 AM
    Damn and here along I thought I would be Upgrading on 30 Jan. Is this going to be Apple or Microsoft Vapor ware for use 1st gen Playbook owners? Wanted to see how much it improved before deciding to switch back to the phones.
    01-22-13 09:07 AM
    Is there anything really technical that is preventing them from doing it shortly after launch of BB10. Won't the new phone have a similar aspect ratio as the playbook? BBM is based off you're Blackberry ID not the phone PIN anymore? So really the Playbook is just a bigger version of the phone, minus cell capabilities or am I totally out to lunch?

Only 8 more sleeps until we all get to see what BB10 has under the hood!
    01-22-13 09:18 AM
    Is there anything really technical that is preventing them from doing it shortly after launch of BB10. Won't the new phone have a similar aspect ratio as the playbook? BBM is based off you're Blackberry ID not the phone PIN anymore? So really the Playbook is just a bigger version of the phone, minus cell capabilities or am I totally out to lunch?

It's a whole new device to test on, which would definitely take time. I would like a PB update too but if it meant the release of BB10 was pushed back because of it then I say no thanks. They need BB10 desperately right now.
    kozmo68 likes this.
    01-22-13 10:07 AM
    oh my god... there is a thing called the search function. This has been discussed already. Yes it will come in 2013, beta dev tests should be live before March and final product by end of May at the latest from what I have heard.
    01-22-13 10:23 AM
    It's my thought that playbook will, get OS 10 this summer
    "Vivek also stressed the BlackBerry PlayBook is still getting updated to BlackBerry 10 in 2013 with a free update that will breathe some serious life into the product."
    01-22-13 10:43 AM
    Okay this is what we do know. There was an internal road map leaked that showed PlayBook getting BlackBerry10 between Q1 and Q2.

Blackberrydev has since tweeted that BlackBerry10 for PlayBook is ahead of schedule.....This is all we know. January 30th will likely give us a much needed answer to all 14,000 PlayBook BB10 threads.
    carlyincanada, kozmo68 and Sansu94 like this.
    01-22-13 02:27 PM
    Okay this is what we do know. There was an internal road map leaked that showed PlayBook getting BlackBerry10 between Q1 and Q2.

Blackberrydev has since tweeted that BlackBerry10 for PlayBook is ahead of schedule.....This is all we know. January 30th will likely give us a much needed answer to all 14,000 PlayBook BB10 threads.
    So, do you think it will be out Jan 31?!!!!?????

(just kidding!!!)
    01-22-13 03:22 PM
    So, do you think it will be out Jan 31?!!!!?????

(just kidding!!!)
    I think he/she is saying that since the road map showed between Q1-Q2, it will come on or before March 31. However, a BlackBerrydev tweeted that BB10 for Playbook is ahead of schedule, so it should be come earlier. My guess is late February.
    01-22-13 03:46 PM
    Are we speaking about an OS update to the current Playbook or are you thinking a 'New' playbook?
    We're speaking current PlayBook.

I'd say you are halfways in both. It's not just BBM is it? It's a whole OS. BB10 isn't a skin for the current Tablet OS, there is a great deal of stuff in there that the PB didn't have to handle. Also, since the device is a heck bigger, they must make sure usability and user experience will be good. Tablet OS was pretty much a landscape experience, BB10 seems to play a portrait game. Details. It's all about details.

I think he/she is saying that since the road map showed between Q1-Q2, it will come on or before March 31. However, a BlackBerrydev tweeted that BB10 for Playbook is ahead of schedule, so it should be come earlier. My guess is late February.
    Quite refreshing to actually not have to disagree with you for a change. Optimistically speaking, yeah, Feb/13 seems like the perfect time. Some mentioned (unofficial sources) that we may have BB10 even before that, so RIM has a hands-on platform to advertise the new OS - which would only make perfect sense. If we get our hopes to realist levels though, I'd expect to see that Beta by Feb and a stable around Mar/Apr.

But I really would want it to be announced at the 30th and released on the 31st. ><
    01-22-13 03:46 PM
    Is there anything really technical that is preventing them from doing it shortly after launch of BB10.
    Probably more a case of available resources to do the work.
    01-22-13 03:52 PM
    I also think a beta will be released very soon following the launch. The cool thing is that this time around there is no reason to hold anything back from the beta.
    01-22-13 04:34 PM
    I hope it will be very quick after the launch. It will be to the advantage of RIM, because that will seriously increase the BB10 adoption rate in the beginning. This is a succes factor, and the perception of success is very important to market BB10. So, give me BB10 RIM, oh make that a double for both my PBs!

Bedtime now.
    01-22-13 05:18 PM
    I'm hoping fairly soon - I'd really like to give BB10 a try on my playbook before buying a BB10 and locking myself into their infrastructure again for another couple of ears.
    01-22-13 05:52 PM
    For all those who just cannot concieve that PlayBook is getting BlackBerry10 BlackBerry dev just tweeted this : @BlackBerryDev: @zwei3vier A date has not yet been disclosed, but yes, RIM has publicly stated that #BlackBerry10 will be coming to #PlayBook
    01-22-13 06:15 PM
    I will believe it when we start seeing leaked screenshots of the os on the playbook. I sure hope playbook gets some love, it is such a handy sized device. I sure dont want to have to get a samsung/android tablet.
    01-22-13 06:33 PM
    Not likely till Sept 25th of this yr. imho
    01-22-13 06:46 PM
    Not likely till Sept 25th of this yr. imho
    Please, share your reasoning. Anyone can bark random dates.

Like the mayans and that end of the world thing...
    Cracklen likes this.
    01-22-13 08:54 PM
    I'm kinda surprised myself that there haven't been any leaked pictures yet.
    01-22-13 10:59 PM
    i sure hope BB10 comes out for the playbook, at my work (bestbuy) we just had all of the 16/32gig playbook prices update to like $79 for the 32gig, which as far as im concerned is not a good sign seeing as the HP touchpad did the same thing and the plug was pulled thereafter. guessing they're clearing out any remaining stock doesn't show theres any more on order for the time being.
    01-22-13 11:45 PM
    i sure hope BB10 comes out for the playbook, at my work (bestbuy) we just had all of the 16/32gig playbook prices update to like $79 for the 32gig, which as far as im concerned is not a good sign seeing as the HP touchpad did the same thing and the plug was pulled thereafter. guessing they're clearing out any remaining stock doesn't show theres any more on order for the time being.
    It only makes sense not to manufacture new units of the old model. If and when a new tablet comes, it will have specs matching (maybe even surpassing) what we've seen on the phones.

Let's face it guys, our tablet is really really old, by any electronic product life cycle standard.
    01-23-13 07:21 AM
29 12