Hey Crackberry Nation!

It's been a while since I've been a card carrying member or even made a post. If RIM plays the right card, I'll be rejoining the fraternity soon. Any word on whether there is a camera-free (camera-less?) version of the Z10?

Steve
    01-17-13 12:31 PM
    Not that anyone's aware of, or at least not at retail.

If this has to do with a security requirement, I found out something interesting not long ago: It can be made a BES policy to disable the camera.
    01-17-13 12:47 PM
    Thanks Thunderbuck.

It does have to do with security, but it has more to do with the locations I visit. Not all of them believe in software modifications to prevent the camera from functioning, instead they rely on the existence test. I do still carry my camaralessTour 9360 when I have to, but I'd really, really, really like to be able to let it retire in piece.

Steve
    01-17-13 01:05 PM
    Was wondering too, I know of some friends that work in state facilities where they prohibit carrying camera phone (it is not very strictly enforced) but you can still get caught and be written up. I also keep seeing news here and there that xyz company or some government sector/dept etc has allowed use of iphone or android, and I don't know how they can allow that since they have cameras. I think those places lax their policies to allow iphone and android?
    01-17-13 11:55 PM
    I strongly suspect that RIM will be offering a camera-free Z10 because they do supply to sensitive organisations. Obviously it is quite tough to find camera free devices these days. You may have to get in touch with RIM directly to obtain a camera-free device outside of a BES service contract; I'm sure they'll be keen to help you out or at least put you in touch with a supplier. Alternatively you could talk to someone at one of the security conscious places and ask if they will source a device for you if you pay for it. I can't see them having a problem with that, since its to protect their security and they will appreciate that going camera-free is damn near impossible nowerdays.
    01-21-13 01:01 AM
    I strongly suspect that RIM will be offering a camera-free Z10 because they do supply to sensitive organisations. Obviously it is quite tough to find camera free devices these days. You may have to get in touch with RIM directly to obtain a camera-free device outside of a BES service contract; I'm sure they'll be keen to help you out or at least put you in touch with a supplier. Alternatively you could talk to someone at one of the security conscious places and ask if they will source a device for you if you pay for it. I can't see them having a problem with that, since its to protect their security and they will appreciate that going camera-free is damn near impossible nowerdays.
    I wonder if it is possible to get a different back on the device...one that doesn't have camera holes. Alterntively maybe you could just cover the hole with electrical tape on the inside and out? Not sure if that would meet the security requirements but might prevent people from noticing the camera.
    01-21-13 07:42 AM