I dont want to do this! Dear hubby is dropping from Verizon family plan. To costly. My contract is done but my phone is just fine. It appears that none of the talk and text plans I have looked into will let me use my BB Bold. That is so unacceptable to me. Does anyone have any ideas for me, short of selling my phone.
    You see I am blind in one eye. Text and talk is all I use my phone for.
    Any of you know a way around this problem???
    missmouthy
    01-14-13 06:28 PM
    What about boost or cricket? They use cdma and use blackberries
    01-14-13 08:52 PM
    Why not switch to a GSM Blackberry?
    01-14-13 09:20 PM
    What carrier is he switching you to? Do you both 'have to' use same carrier / be on the same plan?

All 4 major us carriers have bb phones/ plans. So you might just update your bb to the new carriers flavor / new os 10 model.

T-mobile has a pay as you go bb plan where the bb purchase cost is high but the monthly recurring plan cost is lower for a net savings + you can bring your own unlocked gsm device. Price compare with simple mobile.

Possible to use a very inexpensive talk plan using an inexpensive basic phone + a good bb data plan without many talk minutes. May not be cheaper than one bb plan + requires carrying 2 phones

For cdma - Recently saw boost mobile bb phones on sale on amazon.

Considering how best to lower my plan costs too + remain w bb! Good luck!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    01-15-13 08:06 AM
    What city do you live in? Here in Los Angeles, we have some smaller carriers that do the talk and text plans. Check on Craigslist.
    01-17-13 06:45 PM
    01-17-13 06:53 PM
    If you really want to keep your 9650, you can put it on Simple Mobile. You must be sure it is fully unlocked, and you will be stuck completely on 2G as Simple Mobile uses T-Mobile's network.

I recently switched to Simple Mobile having left Verizon and bought a used T-Mobile Bold 9900 off of eBay, but just for kicks gave the SIM a shot in my 9650 as it is not listed on Simple Mobile's supported devices page. After simply updating the Host Routing Tables, I had full service and 2G BIS on my 9650.

There are several better options, but if you wanted to keep your 9650 specifically and bad enough, this is an easy and affordable way to do so. As far as I know, Simple Mobile is the only prepaid carrier I'm aware of in the US that offers prepaid "bring your own" BlackBerry service, otherwise, all you're left with are these crappy little Curves available on the likes of Boost or Virgin Mobile.

Good luck.
    01-25-13 08:49 AM
    I realize the question has already been answered, but I will chime in with one more alternative--provided the carrier you are going to is gsm--if you are uncomfortable unlocking your 9650, you could trade it for a Sprint 9630 (Tour). They are basically the same phone, and the Sprint phone will (in most cases) accept a new sim card without having to go thru the unlocking process.

I recently picked up a VZW 9650 and a Sprint 9630 off Craigslist, and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to unlock the Sprint device...just popped in my AT&T sim and was good to go. I did have to replace the service books to get the browser working, but if all you need is talk and text, you won't need to worry about doing that at all.

Depending on where you live, you might find an independent wireless store that buys and trades phones, and you may be able to pull off an even swap, or maybe put an ad on CL for a trade...

It isn't the end of the world just yet, you still have a few options...good luck!
    01-26-13 12:58 AM
    1 Unlocking isn't going to be the end of the world- no reason to go backward in model. See the unlock your phone area of the forum for more
    2 a sprint (vs Verizon-branded) 9650 comes unlocked the diff is in the carrier policy, not phone model

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    01-27-13 06:21 AM