Hi there,

I'm a student and pay for the cost of living by (contract) developing apps - mainly for iOS and Android. I ported one of my clients' apps to BB10 and suddenly felt in love with the platform.
    Becoming sure that my next private device will run BB10, I also started porting other stuff that I regularly use and could not find for BB10, e.g. a "CookingCalc", that solves my problem of often handling with US and non-US recipes. I lived in the US for 6 months and took home quite a few cooking books... Since it takes me only ~ 24 hours to publish little tools like that I offer them for free.

One thing that I found missing is a great XBMC remote. Currently there are two options: the Android version, running in the on-device simulator (I really want apps to look "native" to the platform) and a PlayBook-port that does not support the most recent versions of XBMC (a no-go for me).
    That's the reason I started another app, a BB10-only XBMC remote with native look and support for v12 ("Frodo").

I've now reached a state where I could live with the functionalities built in and only some minor glitches (see screenshots below).
    So given I'm the only one interested, I'd stop coding now. If there are some other people, perhaps even willing to spend 99c on such an app, I'd consider making it marketable (e.g. more stability, adding FAQs and help) and perhaps even new features (like cover previews along with movie details, search or something you could ask for here )

Any other XBMC addicts in here?-img_00000003.jpgAny other XBMC addicts in here?-img_00000004.jpgAny other XBMC addicts in here?-img_00000005.jpg
    01-13-13 02:42 AM
    That's actually wonderful! I've never tried XBMC but from what it looks like it does I would gladly pay 99 cents for this app.

Kudos and keep up the good work
    01-13-13 02:47 AM
    Thanks, and great work!

I hadn't upgraded to Frodo due to lack of remote app support. This looks alot prettier than the xbmc remote I use on Playbook and its great to see software volume buttons !

Could u share screenshots of how the music selection and playback looks ?
    I would really like cover previews, and with the amount of time spent on collecting all the little CdArt, Artist Thumbnails, and Fanart i would really like to see some of them make an appearance on the remote app.

I just came to this Thread to say i loved XBMC and probably say that we should do something to get a remote app and a native client for BB10, but what i saw here totally made my day !
    01-13-13 03:13 AM
    I am preparing to build my first HTPC and will buy your app if available. I think you will find a nice marketplace for it when BB10 launches.

It looks great!
    01-13-13 06:05 AM
    i want to know if can be possible to use a xbmc remote control for blackberry 9700 ? thanks you.
    01-13-13 01:27 PM
    Any other XBMC addicts in here?-showcase.jpg

Great news!

I've spent the last couple of days to add a couple of features:
    • Progress Indicator: during playback you will see the current playback position and the total length (works for Music, Shows, Movies and also Apps like YouTube)
    • Send text: Allows to conveniently enter text into (search) boxes by conveniently using your nice BB10 keyboard
    • TV Shows: Will show a list of your library's TV shows and upon selection the contained episodes (order shows by name, play count or date added)
    • Songs: Shows a list of your artists or albums, selecting one will display all songs within that album or by that artist
    • Power Button: Added a configuration on what should happen once you click the power button. Possible are: Quit app, hibernate system, reboot system, shutdown system, suspend system
    • Help: How to find out the IP-address, how to enable remote control, ...

XRMT has been submitted for BlackBerry World review yesterday. Will hopefully show up in time for launch day.

Still on my to-do list:
    • Add possibility to view details about any Song / TV Show / Movie including description, cast, fanart, cover, ... (displaying all covers in the list views was not performing too well, possibly only on my Dev Alpha A)
    • Share XRMT configuration via NFC (make it easy for your spouse or visiting friends to control the TV)
    • (Universal) Search

Any other XBMC addicts in here?-img_00000008.jpg Any other XBMC addicts in here?-img_00000009.jpg Any other XBMC addicts in here?-img_00000010.jpg
    01-19-13 03:12 AM
    I would pay .99 cents for this in a heartbeat!
    01-19-13 08:03 AM
    Hey looks awesome! I have a question on the lists, how will it look using a dark theme? Also can I request not using white as the background for the list since if you are watching a movie with the lights down low it will blast you with light haha Thanks in advance!
    01-19-13 11:06 AM
    I would definately pay for this!

If you are taking suggestions, I have one that would be a huge help for me. Using the media keys on the device to control playback/volume.
    API here: https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...eywatcher.html

Also some other random ideas:
    Pause media when the phone rings and send a notification to XBMC with caller id and phone number (could be user configurable option) API: https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...ion_phone.html

Also have a look at NowPlayingConnection, that will give the user control outside of the app itself: https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...onnection.html

BBM integration: update bbm status with whats being played
    Invokation framework: share text, gives the ability to update Twitter, facebook etc... with whats playing

If you haven't already added covers for active frames PM me and I'll send you some code (or if you need code for bbm or invokation), its very easy to implement.
    01-19-13 11:23 AM
    Would definitely pay for a great XBMC remote - if you build it, they will come

It looks fantastic btw!

I know on twitter for sure I've seen people looking for a great one.

You build it right, and people will buy
    01-19-13 11:29 AM
    Hey looks awesome! I have a question on the lists, how will it look using a dark theme? Also can I request not using white as the background for the list since if you are watching a movie with the lights down low it will blast you with light haha Thanks in advance!
    Hey,
    thanks for you comment. I've had the dimmed light situation in mind when designing the control screen, which is in dark colors. Since lists are only used to select a movie, show or song it shouldn't disturb your TV experience too much...
    However I've added "dark lists" (possibly as a setting) to my feature request list.
    01-19-13 12:59 PM
    If you are taking suggestions,
    Sure I am! Thanks for your feedback, which I really appreciate.
    I've added a couple of your points to the top of my feature request list (like BBM and invocation framework integration). Those might be implemented before the BB10 devices ship.

All your other great ideas unluckily cannot be implemented yet using WebWorks - although I've already posted three feature requests (see https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-W...amework/issues), because I'd really like to make those things happen, too.
    Before you ask why I chose WW instead of the other possible combinations like QML&JS or QML&C(++): The most responsive XBMC API is JSON RPC via a WebSocket connection. WebSockets are simply made for HTML5 (and not available directly in the QML&JS variant) and bbUI is pretty neat, too.
    01-19-13 01:41 PM
    Just a remote app or could I select files directly off my NAS?
    01-19-13 06:59 PM
    Not sure about this App, but XBMC usually sets up for a network and sees your NAS box. At least that is my experience with Linux versions.
    01-19-13 08:48 PM
    You are able to see and select all files that are in your XBMC's database. I've set my system up to include folders on my NAS and scan them periodically for new content in order to have everything added to my database automatically.

XBMC is able to use all kinds of sources, e.g.
    • Local Harddrive
    • Network Filesystems (NFS)
    • ReplayTV Devices
    • UPnP Devices
    • Windows Networks (SMB)
    01-20-13 01:34 AM
    I'm glad to announce that some requested features (thanks dentynefire & Shao128) have already been built in and submitted to RIM for review.

Any other XBMC addicts in here?-img_00000019.jpg Any other XBMC addicts in here?-img_00000017.jpg Any other XBMC addicts in here?-img_00000018.jpg

Here's the changelog for v1.0.2:
    • Upgraded to WebWorks SDK 1.0.4.7
    • Added transitions for switching between functions
    • Added error notifications (toasts) when trying to use remote functions without being connected
    • Modified action bar buttons to look more BB10-like (color gradient instead of plain white)
    • Modified list view colors: background is now darker (grey)
    • Added Invocation Framework to share the current status via BBM, Twitter, Facebook, …
    • Added BBM Status Integration allowing to directly update the BBM Status
    Qaxl likes this.
    01-20-13 05:15 AM
    If this is going to be a paid app, you should try submitting it for B4BB.
    Looks great!
    01-20-13 10:10 AM
    If this is going to be a paid app, you should try submitting it for B4BB.
    Looks great!
    Thanks, man!
    Unluckily I'm too late for B4BB. I would need to apply until tomorrow, but the app is not even approved yet.

I've built a small page to inform about updates: XRMT. Remote control for XBMC (v12+).
    01-20-13 10:28 AM
    Thanks, man!
    Unluckily I'm too late for B4BB. I would need to apply until tomorrow, but the app is not even approved yet.

I've built a small page to inform about updates: XRMT. Remote control for XBMC (v12+).
    You might be able to contact them and ask, as its not your fault that it hasn't been accepted yet.
    It looks good though!
    01-20-13 10:45 AM
    Well well look at this. I know what the first app I will be getting when I get new phone now!!
    01-20-13 10:47 AM
    Thanks, man!
    B4BB doesn't end. Just the 10k commitment. You can apply for B4BB at any time once your app is approved.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-20-13 12:16 PM
    When I get a BB10 device I would be willing to pay 0.99$ for a great native XBMC remote. I don't know if it is easy to do but a wake-on-LAN function could be useful too.
    01-20-13 01:59 PM
    Good news: XRMT was just approved and is now available @ App World:
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...tent/21527921/

- The two most requested features, namely Search and some basic Playlist Handling will be added to the next version scheduled for the end of next week.

Looking forward to getting your feedback. Post it here or drop me an email: [email protected]
    02-01-13 02:32 PM
    I just tried out the app, and it's does the base features really well. I'm not a huge fan of webworks apps though. Is using a TCP socket in Qt/Cascades that much slower? Either way, definitely worth downloading still.

The main thing I'd like to see is the info/images for movies and TV shows.
    02-01-13 05:33 PM
    I just tried out the app, and it's does the base features really well. I'm not a huge fan of webworks apps though. Is using a TCP socket in Qt/Cascades that much slower? Either way, definitely worth downloading still.

The main thing I'd like to see is the info/images for movies and TV shows.
    Thanks for your feedback!
    Actually using websockets has one huge advantage over the "classical" JSON-RPC API: it works as a push service with the ability to proactively inform each connected remote about changes currently going on. A scenario for this are if you and your spouse (or friends) are all connected to the same XBMC and each remote gets notified of changes (volume, items added to playlist, pause, ...) immediately.

Item details are definitely coming soon, too. I'm still playing with the cover/fanart images: XRMT will probably need to download and save them all on the remote in order to run at a feasible speed.
    02-02-13 01:12 AM
129 123 ...