Do you guys think there would be a way to install the Final BB10 software on the dev alpha.. perhaps dingleberry? lol
    01-10-13 05:20 PM
    Do you guys think there would be a way to install the Final BB10 software on the dev alpha.. perhaps dingleberry? lol
    I'd be very skeptical, much as I'd like to.

Remember that RIM has already made it clear--repeatedly--that all the Dev Alphas will be bricked at some point after the BB10 introduction.
    01-10-13 05:57 PM
    It'd be really cool if we could
    01-10-13 06:27 PM
    It'd be really cool if we could
    They are not meant to last forever, they were there to support the dev community prior to release.
    01-10-13 06:34 PM
    If you know how to hack the phone, then yes.
    Is RIM going to provide an easy way for you to do it? Probably not.
    01-10-13 06:55 PM
    what if I change my time and date settings and use the final bb10 bootrom loader?
    01-10-13 08:13 PM
    I sure, after the kill date, RIM will blacklist the Dev Alpha PINs so it will stop features from working. They've blocked PINs before.
    01-10-13 08:23 PM
    That's true
    01-10-13 08:41 PM
    theyve already stated these devices will be killed in some way shape or form, so no it`ll never happen.

also if ya wanna try make a phone call with the dev alpha A then good luck lol, doesnt have a microphone haha
    01-10-13 11:13 PM
    They can kill the dev alpha for all I care as long as they approve my app and give me a limited edition L series
    anon(3896606) and bbquincar like this.
    01-10-13 11:30 PM
    I doubt it will be very useful as a functional device for day to day use, even with a full OS. Battery is probably not all that high capacity either.

Someone mentioned no microphone but that is untrue. My Dev Alpha A had a mic and I tried it with a few apps that displayed sound input detection so I know it worked.

I don't know if the SIM slot actually ever worked, did anyone use it for making calls?

May make a good media player and web browser, and to play games. But RIM can easily kill it by eliminating the Dev Alpha "app store" and we don't know whether any new OS installed will detect the hardware and refuse to run (or identify it so no matter what your Dev Alpha cannot be masked).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    01-11-13 12:55 PM
    Someone mentioned no microphone but that is untrue. My Dev Alpha A had a mic and I tried it with a few apps that displayed sound input detection so I know it worked.
    lol i`ll reword it then, the dev alpha A is basically a small playbook (an ipod touch if you like) and yes it does have a mic, its at the top of the device, this isnt designed for phone calls as there is no microphone on the bottom of the device, so you would would need to hold the phone upside down for them to hear ya......then rotate again to hear them lol. so yes it has a mic but not where you need it.
    01-11-13 01:01 PM
    hmm, I don't think it would be possible without some extensive work due to the brick happening at possibly the bootloader level. Unlike android where its open sourced and easy this isn't the case here. In addition, that would technically be illegal (Read the EULA especially in regards to tampering with the device and its software).
    01-11-13 09:43 PM
    I'm not sure why all the comments about the mic etc. I'm running an internal version of close to final software and the phone features work fine, albeit with not so good battery life. My colleague is using the dev B and he's essentially using it as his main phone right now, also on an unreleased close to final software.
    Btw there are 2 mics afaik, the one on top is for noise cancelling/note taking
    kajenius likes this.
    01-12-13 12:22 PM
    Just to clarify, I'm on the original dev alpha. Batt life is alright but not great. My colleague on the alpha b is getting batt life on par with average smartphone expectations. Personally I'm hoping us users of the internal builds won't get devices bricked (get special access as our user base is in the millions). Only time will tell as they haven't really said much to us on this.
    01-12-13 03:17 PM
    What exactly do you do?
    01-12-13 04:13 PM
    Marketing for a large developer. Don't code but got my dev alpha at the Orlando jam. The guy who said its a small play book is spreading misinformation. The original dev alpha was supposed to be a production device that never made it due to delays/changes in plan. It's code name was the blackberry colt. The dev alpha b is the same hardware as the soon to be launched device albeit with a different housing.
    01-12-13 04:41 PM
    Marketing for a large developer. Don't code but got my dev alpha at the Orlando jam. The guy who said its a small play book is spreading misinformation. The original dev alpha was supposed to be a production device that never made it due to delays/changes in plan. It's code name was the blackberry colt. The dev alpha b is the same hardware as the soon to be launched device albeit with a different housing.

im not spreading misinformation thanks, there is NO visible microphone on the bottom of the dev alpha A, thats not even up for debate tbh lol.

Also just so you dont spread misinformation, the dev alpha B is NOT the same hardware as the launch device, its already been confirmed that there will be 2Gb RAM in the touch device, which isnt in the dev alpha B.

also you mention you get special access because your userbase is in the millions, but thats not just something for you, many many other devs are in that boat (myself included) but we all play by the same rules. simply put, if ya want a working device, make an app, submit it to the LE tradeup and get a LE phone.
    01-12-13 06:23 PM
    im not spreading misinformation thanks, there is NO visible microphone on the bottom of the dev alpha A, thats not even up for debate tbh lol.

Also just so you dont spread misinformation, the dev alpha B is NOT the same hardware as the launch device, its already been confirmed that there will be 2Gb RAM in the touch device, which isnt in the dev alpha B.

also you mention you get special access because your userbase is in the millions, but thats not just something for you, many many other devs are in that boat (myself included) but we all play by the same rules. simply put, if ya want a working device, make an app, submit it to the LE tradeup and get a LE phone.

The Dev A and B can both record video with audio, means there ARE microphones there. Regardless if you can see it or not, they are there. There is a possibility that the software from the L series will work on the other devices, but it will definitely have a performance hit. Keep in mind that RIM HAS shown BB10 software on the Dev devices, so it obviously CAN be done. It is likely a custom build, but it does work.
    01-12-13 08:37 PM
    lol i`ll reword it then, the dev alpha A is basically a small playbook (an ipod touch if you like) and yes it does have a mic, its at the top of the device, this isnt designed for phone calls as there is no microphone on the bottom of the device, so you would would need to hold the phone upside down for them to hear ya......then rotate again to hear them lol. so yes it has a mic but not where you need it.
    The Dev A and B can both record video with audio, means there ARE microphones there. Regardless if you can see it or not, they are there. There is a possibility that the software from the L series will work on the other devices, but it will definitely have a performance hit. Keep in mind that RIM HAS shown BB10 software on the Dev devices, so it obviously CAN be done. It is likely a custom build, but it does work.
    as you can see i already covered the whole mic thing. secondly, im discussing the dev alpha A device. if you look, ALL the demos have been done on a dev alpha B device, so theres no proof it can be done as you put it on a dev alpha A.
    01-12-13 10:27 PM
    Sigh. There are 2 mics on the dev a, and it works fine as a phone. if you have access to the internal software you'd realise you are talking a load of rubbish. Sure the other devices in my company will be traded up, but not all of them, and since I'm not a coder I'm likely to be stuck with the dev alpha until I'm given a production device (the devs get priority for obvious reasons). At least be a gentleman and admit it when you are clearly wrong. You also fail to understand that things like memory size is not a huge hardware change. The hardware platform however is identical to what will be launched. It is naive to think that rim treats all developers the same. The more critical of a partner you are the more they bend over backwards to give you perks.especially at this point in time where they need as much dev support as possible. I can't go into details without revealing confidential information.
    Last edited by afhstingray; 01-13-13 at 04:45 AM.
    01-13-13 03:58 AM
    Sigh. There are 2 mics on the dev a
    really? pics then please
    01-13-13 06:17 AM
    It works fine for phone calls. If you have evidence that there is no mic for phone calls, please present it. As you made that assertion, the burden of proof is on you. And im sorry mate, just claiming you cant see the mic dont mean it aint there. Do you even have one of these devices? And by the way, at the dev alpha launch at blackberry world 2012 in Orlando, they did give demos on the dev a's. I'm sure other people who attended can verify that here. during the sessions they even hooked the devices themselves up to projectors for demos. Not to mention that the dev alpha was originally slated to be the first bb10/qnx based phone. Remember colt, Milan, and London? We now know only the London made the cut and is what the dev b is. Dev a is the colt.
    01-13-13 08:52 AM
    It works fine for phone calls. If you have evidence that there is no mic for phone calls, please present it. As you made that assertion, the burden of proof is on you. And im sorry mate, just claiming you cant see the mic dont mean it aint there. Do you even have one of these devices? And by the way, at the dev alpha launch at blackberry world 2012 in Orlando, they did give demos on the dev a's. I'm sure other people who attended can verify that here. during the sessions they even hooked the devices themselves up to projectors for demos. Not to mention that the dev alpha was originally slated to be the first bb10/qnx based phone. Remember colt, Milan, and London? We now know only the London made the cut and is what the dev b is. Dev a is the colt.
    err i was there in orlando. the phone function was NOT demo`d, so to insinuate it was would be incorrect.

also your saying there are 2 mics, yet you seem to be the one unwilling to prove that number
    01-13-13 10:01 AM
    It was demoed to some people

Pm me with your email and I'll drop u a couple of pics. Got no problem using my device for calls
    01-13-13 11:54 AM
502 123 ...