Three weeks.

That's how long until RIM officially launches its new BlackBerry 10 phones. One year ago, I explained why RIM had a long road to getting developers enthused enough to create apps for the new platform. The company has spent that year going down it, honing its developer message, offering $10,000 guarantees, posting insane videos to rally the troops, and launching zero BlackBerry 10 devices.

This year, as I sat down with RIM yet again to discuss the state of its app situation, my number one question was simple: does RIM have the apps it needs to have a successful launch? RIM's VP of Global Alliances and Business Development, Martyn Mallick, answered with conviction:

"Yes."

RIM's VP of Developer Relations, Alec Saunders, added that the company had achieved its goals both in total numbers and in landing the most important, top apps people want. Saunders said that December's announcement of the launch date "changed the flavor of the conversation [with potential developers] dramatically," leading to an uptick in apps.

"If there's an obstacle in the way, we try to remove it."

Mallick said that RIM has directly reaching out to a vast array of developers in multiple categories and widespread regions with the goal of getting their apps on BB10. "If there's an obstacle in the way, we try to remove it," he told me, "Whether that's technical, so be it. If that's business, so be it." Saunders was just as direct: "Nobody treats developers better than RIM does right now."

It shouldn't surprise anyone that RIM is willing to remove "business obstacles" (a veiled reference to RIM's cash guarantee), because the platform will be dead-in-the-water if it can't get both big-name apps and a robust independent developer community going for BB10.

The lead-up to any launching any product usually involves a complicated game of managing expectations. So hearing RIM's blunt answer about whether it had the apps it needed was surprising. I would have expected RIM to try to subtly lower expectations so that it could beat them with even modest app support. Instead, Mallick claims that RIM had set goals for itself for the launch and that the company has "exceeded even our most optimistic metrics."

"At the end of the day, you're not going to have every app."

It wasn't all bluster. "At the end of the day," Mallick said, "you're not going to have every app." Saunders added a hint that it's likely that some big name apps will likely be missing, "Even if a particular app isn't there that the user would want, there will be other credible substitutes."
    On the bright side, RIM isn't (yet) enmeshed in an ecosystem war like we're seeing between Microsoft and Google. BlackBerry 10 will support CalDAV and CardDAV for syncing Google contacts and calendar. It also has a very fast WebKit-based browser, which should help ensure it won't be locked out of the increasingly webkit-optimized mobile web.

Since RIM began its push to bring developers into the BlackBerry 10 fold, I feel like I'm now writing the same story for the third time: can it get the apps?
    RIM says it has the apps it needs for successful BlackBerry 10 launch | The Verge
    sullibr01 and 00stryder like this.
    01-10-13 11:21 AM
    That always happens to wish lists.
    01-10-13 11:42 AM
    Honestly this was expected well from me atleast. I expected some big apps but not all but the most important thing was to make it easier for developers to developed for the platform unlike the bbos. So even if some big names don't support it just yet we will see as the platform grows more and more developers will be creating more apps for it. I honestly think no1 has anything to worry about here.
    01-10-13 12:27 PM
    Yes, something someone badly needs won't be there.

I understand only Apple has the "right" to expect the biggest things first time everytime; even Android waits, and so does WP8. Haters will nonetheless ID the missing "Big One" as evidence BB10 is set to fail, but if BB10 sets sail well, the Big Ones will almost certainly appear in pretty short order.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-10-13 12:48 PM
    No skype ....okay , bring on the 30th
    BigAl_BB9900, robkd and bbmtna like this.
    01-10-13 12:49 PM
    If Skype aint there, but there is a credible substitute capable of making voice/ calls to actual phones (landlines, cells) and video chat client-to-client then that'd be fine. In fact, it'd be Skype's loss.

Similarly for WhatsApp.

NetFlix, Hulu, Google Maps etc - not sure if they have credible substitutes out there. But maye browser would be good enough to use their web-apps. That way, you'd get full experience even if dedicated apps are missing.

This is just-in-case Skype, NetFlix, Hulu, WhatsApp turn out to be missing.
    whitbags likes this.
    01-10-13 12:50 PM
    So long as I can get my BB10 Flash Light App I will be soooooo happy....Geez enough already about the app thing.
    01-10-13 12:59 PM
    you bring a good point. With the browser being as fast as a desktop browser I would almost prefer the web apps.
    01-10-13 01:05 PM
    So after all of this time and effort, Saunders added a hint that it's likely that some big name apps will likely be missing. I don't care and I guess we'll see how many do.
    01-10-13 01:22 PM
    There have been a few sources that have suggested that Skype won't be there, so I'm kind of prepared for that.

No, BBM isn't Skype, but it will gain video chat, and there's a rumor of a desktop BBM client coming later on. This would satisfy the needs of many.
    01-10-13 01:26 PM
    It's okay if it's not there. We still have faceflow
    01-10-13 01:29 PM
    So after all of this time and effort, Saunders added a hint that it's likely that some big name apps will likely be missing. I don't care and I guess we'll see how many do.
    Some will care and some won't, guess it will just depend on the ratio.

I don't think this is a surprise to anyone who has been following the Bb10 app story. RIM has invested heavily in offering incentives to the smaller devs but there's been hardly a mention of the majority of the big names.

Like people have been saying from the start, it's a chicken and egg problem. Big devs aren't going to come until the platform is established and users are waiting for the apps. If the platform takes off, the big devs will start to come on board.
    kbz1960 and Blacklatino like this.
    01-10-13 01:30 PM
    There have been a few sources that have suggested that Skype won't be there, so I'm kind of prepared for that.

No, BBM isn't Skype, but it will gain video chat, and there's a rumor of a desktop BBM client coming later on. This would satisfy the needs of many.
    I hope that RIM sticks to what they have ready for release, I don't want them to say anything about we are working on, or it well be ready soon. Media would take that and rip RIM apart for all the times they have said that in the past and failed to deliver - and the fact that BB10 is a year late and several delays behind as it is wouldn't help. They need to focus on what they have ready and talk about future or coming soon features at a later time.
    01-10-13 02:14 PM
    If there was one thing that could hurt RIMs launch it would be apps. I've got my fingers crossed that they will deliver like they say. With the hardware and software rock solid RIM could make a very fast impression on the entire market. 19 days and we will see.
    01-10-13 02:36 PM
    My worry is that a majority of the apps will be substitutes for the big name apps. Some people are okay with those options, however I prefer official apps. Windows has all the money in the world, yet winmo is missing some key apps. I find it hard to believe that bb10 will have all the key apps considering they are releasing a brand new platform. I hope I'm wrong...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Darlaten likes this.
    01-10-13 02:50 PM
    If Skype aint there, but there is a credible substitute capable of making voice/ calls to actual phones (landlines, cells) and video chat client-to-client then that'd be fine. In fact, it'd be Skype's loss.

Similarly for WhatsApp.

NetFlix, Hulu, Google Maps etc - not sure if they have credible substitutes out there. But maye browser would be good enough to use their web-apps. That way, you'd get full experience even if dedicated apps are missing.

This is just-in-case Skype, NetFlix, Hulu, WhatsApp turn out to be missing.
    I'm guessing Skype wont be there and BBM is going to be the alternative. Netflix I am unsure of, it may or may not be there. I'm sure whatsapp will be there.
    01-10-13 03:23 PM
    According to this article, 90% of the top 600 iOS and Android apps will be there. That sounds pretty good until you do some quick math and realize that 60 will be missing.

RIM to hit multiple price points with range of BlackBerry 10 devices - FierceWireless
    01-10-13 06:00 PM
    According to this article, 90% of the top 600 iOS and Android apps will be there. That sounds pretty good until you do some quick math and realize that 60 will be missing.
    [/url]
    Plus....what if those 60 apps are in the top 100?
    01-10-13 06:05 PM
    Plus....what if those 60 apps are in the top 100?
    even if 20 of the top 100 are missing thats bad news. Even 10
    01-10-13 06:09 PM
    It's okay if it's not there. We still have faceflow
    And ooVoo they will be there at launch.
    01-10-13 06:14 PM
    even if 20 of the top 100 are missing thats bad news. Even 10
    Granted its not good and the more developer suport the better. What RIM has to do first is get current users to upgrade. Enough do and we are off to a successful launch. With all these new apps current users are going to be extremely happy. Next they have to win over some new customers. From what i"ve seen in social media thats already happening! During that time they will continue to gain dev suport!
    Once the ball starts rolling its not going to stop. with the power of BB10 becoming very evident its just a matter of time and all apps will be there. It souonds to me like RIM have done a fantastic job!
    I understand the resons for ALLLL this app talk but I can asure everyone, in less then a year from now it wont be talked about, let alone an issue!
    01-10-13 06:53 PM

RIM to hit multiple price points with range of BlackBerry 10 devices - FierceWireless

But then again you missed the most important part of that, there will be 540 of the top apps. Granted that could mean that the first top 60 are missing, but have you looked at the Google play store free apps lately? The top free app as of Jan 10
    1.Facebook *got it on bb10
    2. Skype ( the largest miss if they don't have it)
    3. Facebook messenger (not sure if we need it with full browser)
    4. Instagram *confirmed on bb10
    5. Angry Birds starwars ( hopefully waiting )
    6. Adobe reader *confirmed on bb10
    7. The weather network *confirmed on bb10
    8. Flow free
    9. Zedge
    10. Subway Surfers
    Etc.
    My point is if you look at the top 100 free apps or even the top 10 paid apps there wouldn't be many holes in the app world if RIM did not get all of the ones from the Play Store.
    Last edited by jmurph66; 01-11-13 at 01:30 AM. Reason: grammar
    00stryder, NdBlu14 and robkd like this.
    01-10-13 11:30 PM
    3.Facebook messenger (not sure if we need it with full browser)
    I think it's a good idea to develop (or get) apps for stuff that is capable of running in background. Sure, you can access FB via BB 10 browser. But ideally you'd want FB messenger to be able to run in background, you'd want an app for it. That said, I am sure FB is going to be fully supported on BlackBerry. Including the FB messenger. If not at launch, then probably within few weeks of launch.
    00stryder and howarmat like this.
    01-10-13 11:33 PM

Please remember us Mac desktop/laptop users RIM.
    01-11-13 03:10 AM
    What if this is a "set low expectations" type of interview.

What if he said, "we'll have all the top apps at launch." That wouldn't be any fun or surprising on launch day would it? These interviews are similar to leaks. They are meant to create buzz and interest and not to tell the full story. Just like we've seen the same old Hub, Peek, camera, and keyboard videos - we've been hearing the same old interviews.

The (cough...marketing...cough) message hasn't changed since the announcement of the official release date. So at this point, I'm not going to play into what RIM is saying today, but will on Jan 30th...when it counts.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    Last edited by walt63; 01-11-13 at 06:37 AM.
    robkd, Sansu94 and cckgz4 like this.
    01-11-13 03:38 AM
57 123