I'm starting to feel myself getting excited for the release of the Z10. I haven't had this level of interest in a phone release for a long time.

I have to curb it a bit though, as from memory the last time I was this excited was for the release of the Storm. I paid an exorbitant amount for a handset off a stall holder at the Grove Shopping Centre in LA as the phone wasn't due to be released in Australia for months yet. I flew from Portland OR from the in laws place to pick it up. That's how excited and enthused I was!

I was SOOO excited and then so disappointed. I'm hoping RIM won't sell me a pup this time!
    01-10-13 02:20 AM
    Join the club! I'm the exact same way. The thing with the Storm was that while the device functionality was different for RIM, the OS was the same as devices that came before it. BB10 is completely brand new and introduces a new way of navigation never before seen on a mobile OS. I think this is something to be truly excited about!

I've never been too excited for new phones before I saw BB10 first back in May. Since then, I couldn't wait! January has been going by painfully slowly though, because the anticipation for 30 January is building! This will also be the first time that I purchase a device outright w/o a contract, but I'm pretty sure I won't be regretting the purchase, and I'm fairly certain you won't be either!
    01-10-13 02:28 AM
    The Z10 will not--repeat, NOT--be another Storm.
    anon(140126) and ibpluto like this.
    01-10-13 02:30 AM
    I would agree with that. I am a bit concerned it might be another Playbook though. I have convinced myself it won't but I keep hearing this little voice ........
    Mel25 likes this.
    01-10-13 08:36 AM
    I would agree with that. I am a bit concerned it might be another Playbook though. I have convinced myself it won't but I keep hearing this little voice ........
    That's fair enough. Guess it's really up to you to see what the announcement holds, to try one out and decide.

I couldn't stand the STORM when I briefly had it. PlayBook, at least, felt like that kid that got a report card that said, "tremendous potential but not living up to it". Storm felt like it would get a report card that said, "recommend repeat the second grade. Again."

There are differences between BlackBerry 10 and Playbook though. PlayBook was under a different regime and clearly rushed to market before it was ready. Honestly, the Storm seemed to be too. The iPhone started making noise and within a year or so of its release, RIM tried to tack a touch screen interface onto a long-existing OS, software and third party apps designed for a totally different UI paradigm.

BlackBerry 10 has been anything but rushed. If you consider the PlayBook development as part of BlackBerry 10s overall development cycle, it's been about 3 years in the making.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-10-13 08:47 AM
    We all hope that this is not another storm brewing....and by all accounts, the god of thunder states it is a true mobile computing platform we can get behind without getting all wet. (is that enough of the metaphor? )
    01-11-13 02:25 AM
    I liked my storm... even had it bridged with my playbook until I upgraded to the 9860. I can't wait for the z10 and bb10 for my playbook...
    01-11-13 03:47 AM
    I certainly hope so!
    01-12-13 04:18 AM
    Nope, you can't even compare it to the PlayBook.

Now, I actually LIKED the Storm (it was my first BB), and I actually loved the Playbook, but the PB launch was rushed. The sense I get is that RIM had intended to build a runtime for QNX that would run the legacy Java stuff, and I'm quite sure that this was meant to be ready for launch.

But then Apple was coming out with the iPad 2, and somebody (likely a few somebodys) panicked and felt a burning need to get the Playbook out to compete. And figured they could charge the same price. We all know how that turned out.

This time, they actually held off introducing sooner. Give the engineers time to build, give customers time to forget, give the developers time to create a great catalog. Everything I've seen leads me to believe that this will be a fantastic launch.
    01-12-13 07:06 AM