So Facebook has released a mysterious message inviting the media to "come see what we're building."
    Facebook Issues Mystery Press Invitation - Digits - WSJ

Are they building new facebook apps? Or could this be the new Facebook phone that many have speculated on?

With BB10 being announced in 3 weeks, if Facebook indeed releases a phone, sounds like they're trying to steal a bit of thunder. CES has thus far shown off nothing in particularly new. Some new Android phones, but these days, unless you're Samsung, your phone is just another Android by some other manufacturer.Rumours also say that if Facebook were to release a new phone, it would be a variant of Android. Given how much time Blackberry has put into redesigning an OS in the past 2 years, it's not likely a completely new OS is being released by Facebook.

Personally I think that it's not likely that Facebook will release a new phone since they'll likely have shown it off at CES this week instead and would have gotten much more exposure.
    Secondly, if they do release a new phone, and it is indeed another variant of Android, they'll be lukewarm reception at best. After all, people don't really see anything special.

So, I"m curious as to whats so special with this mysterious invite is for. Hopefully it's not a new profile layout change, we all know how much users "LOVE" that.
    01-08-13 07:27 PM
    can't see that happening, I do have a facebook account, because its free, would never pay anything facebook
    01-08-13 07:31 PM
    Facebook is grasping at straws. No one in their right mind would buy a Facebook phone from a company that's sole business model is invasion of privacy. Would you hold a conversation on a phone from Facebook?
    01-08-13 07:34 PM
    This would have leaked by now. I don't see it happening. I agree that its just not that anticapated in the market and would be a flop. Oh boy oh boy I'm now a facebook fanboy! Not! <Sarcasm>
    I feel that FB is in a tight spot right now. The whole IPO failure, privicy issues that they never get over, peaking market penetration and a lack of revenue will make them hungry for new revenue streams but if they do something like biring out a phone that no one wants, that just highlights the other issues and it starts to get ugly!
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-08-13 07:39 PM
    can't see that happening, I do have a facebook account, because its free, would never pay anything facebook
    Sorry can't resist. You are paying with all your private info. It's not really free is it?
    mark37724, Geeoff and Dapper37 like this.
    01-08-13 07:44 PM
    Facebook's popularity has peaked....a phone would not be well received in the marketpalce.
    01-08-13 07:55 PM
    Sorry can't resist. You are paying with all your private info. It's not really free is it?
    what private info, my name, my birthday, anybody that knows has that info anyways, don't put anything on it that I don't want others to know. its social page.
    01-09-13 09:10 AM
    Facebook is grasping at straws. No one in their right mind would buy a Facebook phone from a company that's sole business model is invasion of privacy. Would you hold a conversation on a phone from Facebook?
    People freely give away their info every day. How many people would buy a Facebook phone over a BB10 phone? Millions. They aren't called sheeple for nothing.
    01-09-13 09:34 AM
    what private info, my name, my birthday, anybody that knows has that info anyways, don't put anything on it that I don't want others to know. its social page.
    It's more than that. FB even tracks what other web sites you go to and sells all that info to marketers.
    01-09-13 10:02 AM
    That's more than I've ever put on facebook. Lol (Which I haven't logged into in prob over a year)

No bday, no personal info, **** even my name on facebook is just my first name split in two, and has been from day one.
    01-09-13 10:16 AM
    Facebook and RIM have a good relationship. I don't think Facebook would try and sabotage a successful Blackberry 10 launch
    01-09-13 10:25 AM
    Facebook and RIM have a good relationship. I don't think Facebook would try and sabotage a successful Blackberry 10 launch
    this might be true, but then why can't they come up with a better app.
    01-09-13 02:13 PM
    Popularity for Facebook has gone waaaay down. It would be like Myspace making a phone
    kingb71 likes this.
    01-09-13 02:14 PM
    I lol'd. It's true.
    01-09-13 03:40 PM
    The others are correct Taz. There's not much they don't know about you once you agree to their terms of service.
    01-10-13 06:26 PM
    RIM core customers and Facebook core customers are very different I think.
    01-10-13 08:29 PM
    Well, it's confirmed. Facebook has scrapped plans to manufacture a phone. Apparently there were some obstacles the concept phone couldn't overcome.

1. The user couldn't turn it off, ever.
    2. When tucked away in the user's pocket the poke feature made the user very uncomfortable.
    3. The contacts list grew by a factor of 10 every 24 hours.
    just_luc and Barljo like this.
    01-10-13 09:23 PM
    Facebook is releasing a phone in 19 days?
    01-10-13 09:27 PM
    Not a chance that they would release a phone without giving devs advance notice.
    01-10-13 10:13 PM
    Facebook is not realsing a phone anytime soon period.
    01-10-13 10:16 PM
    they talked abt this a yr. or 2 ago & wasn't well recieved,,, the death of myspace was when they got saturated w/ corporate pages & advertising,,, guess where facelook's @ now??? am i really going to "like" my insurance providers', etc. page??? C'MOOOWN MAAAN!!!
    01-10-13 10:19 PM
    FB is now a public company, and since their existing business model is not making them enough money, they will explore all avenues to increase revenue to please their shareholders. That said, a hardware FB phone is not a good revenue model, for them it would have to be more something that is "viral" and social media or advertising oriented, with ultra-high margins.
    01-10-13 10:31 PM
    When I first saw this, my initial thought was they were going to do something with instagram. They bought them out if you remember and really haven't done anything with it. I think they are just releasing a new app/service implementing the two together.
    01-11-13 12:07 AM
    When i first saw this, i thought they might be building a new building.
    01-11-13 12:14 AM
    It could be the unveiling of the bb10 Facebook and instagram apps. The timing makes sense.
    01-11-13 12:36 AM
29 12