All prior BB OS's have required cell data in order to fully function. Email, BBM, notifications, don't work without cel data. I belive it is all BIS data will not work with Wi-Fi.

This has really come to light for me as I am looking at two extended trips abroad this year. With my Android/iPhone, I can grab a prepaid cel card for voice, then use wi-fi for everything else. In the past with my 8900, 9780, and 9900 popping in a prepaid sim would and using wifi would not have worked. As prepaid cards don't include BIS (in any country I have been), and even on wifi, I couldn't connect to my existing BIS account (in canada).

I am sure this is has been taken care of in BB10, as in designing a new OS from scratch I can't imagine them hamstringing it like this. But you never know, and the details are murky on this subject. Just wondering if anyone knows the straight goods on this?

~S

ps - please don't post a business case why RIM needs BIS, I get that. I just want to know if phone will work for me in the scenario, like other smartphones would.
    01-07-13 12:18 PM
    Hey, completely understand where your coming from. I just switched my SIM card from my android to a blackberry and my data plan is rendered useless because you need BIS to access any of data eating features. I tried to loop around the problem by just being on Wi-Fi but most applications like BBM it wouldn't work.

But, from what I've read and understand that won't be a problem in BB10. You should be able to use it and access all the features with a normal data plan and through Wi-Fi.
    01-07-13 12:29 PM
    BBM works on the Dev Alpha over WiFi. If the PlayBook is any indication, all other messaging services (except SMS of course) should work just fine.

And, of course, BB10 can remotely connect to Exchange e-mail through ActiveSync.
    01-07-13 12:34 PM
    BBM works on the Dev Alpha over WiFi. If the PlayBook is any indication, all other messaging services (except SMS of course) should work just fine.

And, of course, BB10 can remotely connect to Exchange e-mail through ActiveSync.
    Great news. So bbm over WiFi works? They shouldve done this a long time ago. Just like imessage

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    daizymom likes this.
    01-07-13 12:58 PM
    BBM has worked over wifi for years but you still needed to have the PIN registered on some carrier network. We still dont know all the details on how BBM will work without BIS fees (read free) but we should find out on Jan 30th
    tjseaman likes this.
    01-07-13 01:04 PM
    can someone who has blackberry z10 confirm the original post here?
    basically I need to know if i change the SIM card (phone is obviously unlocked) with one without data plan, will my services work on wifi? (like iPhone and android)
    02-22-13 01:41 PM
    On my Z10, all of my services work when I'm connected to wi-fi only (with the cellular network connection turned off).
    02-22-13 02:28 PM
    You don't need BIS for the Z10, and everything works with WiFi
    02-22-13 03:55 PM
    All prior BB OS's have required cell data in order to fully function. Email, BBM, notifications, don't work without cel data. I belive it is all BIS data will not work with Wi-Fi.
    Not completely true. Email worked over WiFi on BBOS.
    02-22-13 04:00 PM
    It all works via wi fi on my 10. Should not have any problem whatsoever. Mail and BBM smoother than ever!! (only problem is that if coming from a bis unlimited contract one has to adapt to new high consumption of data and possible data charges if not careful... )

Posted via my Z10 using CB10
    02-22-13 07:37 PM
    Everything works over wifi. I had BBM and emails and such running the first time I turned on my phone without even putting a sim card in
    02-22-13 07:39 PM
    It all works via wi fi on my 10. Should not have any problem whatsoever. Mail and BBM smoother than ever!! (only problem is that if coming from a bis unlimited contract one has to adapt to new high consumption of data and possible data charges if not careful... )

Dude ! You shouldn't have dropped your unlimited BIS plan
    currentodysseys likes this.
    02-22-13 07:52 PM
    BBM has worked over wifi for years but you still needed to have the PIN registered on some carrier network. We still dont know all the details on how BBM will work without BIS fees (read free) but we should find out on Jan 30th
    Thanks, I was wondering where the OP has been for the last few years...lol
    02-22-13 09:17 PM
    Dude ! You shouldn't have dropped your unlimited BIS plan
    Well, I have not quit yet actually since my carrier will not bring the z10 to my country till April, they are not sure about the final configuration they will give bb10 with bis plans.

For the moment they have been kind enough to provide me with an extra normal data plan with no charge and I also keep my bis plan active till may. Then it will all have been decided and I ll know which way to go. Maybe I ll just get to carry both a BlackBerry10 and a bbos6 or 7 phone with me at the end lol!!!

The only downside on the z10 is that it is a real data eating monster in my hands... with bis I had approximately 600mb a month on heavy usage on bid and used wi fi as well... the first 24hrs on the z10 I went at about 110 megabytes....(wifi use not included..
    )

Ps:for ppl that might not know it, the voice control on bb10 although really really good, works with data.

Also one of my pop accounts (work one) downloads all the attacments automatically and that eats up my data like crazy...M I think an update to a big data plan will be in order by april...

02-23-13 06:26 PM