I opened up my camera app and when switching from camera to video I get shades of gray.

any ideas? Oh I have already rebooted, wiped and reinstalled the OS.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Default camera app problems-uploadfromtaptalk1357407679790.jpg  
    01-05-13 11:43 AM
    Does the problem remain when you open the camera in other apps? Try the camera when going through the browser to AOL AV video chat. It uses the video camera also and can be switched between the front and back cameras.

Or open Ghost Commander or Quick App Manager and see what the front and back video cameras do through them. Afterwards exit those apps and restart to see if the screen problem remains.
    01-05-13 12:24 PM
    Most Camera issues are NOT user fixable but I just saw this hint yesterday that I captured. If not call Rim. Even call them if beyond warranty as they have been known to be understanding with Camera issues. Good luck

May fix camera

IF you cant do a screen shot (holding down the +/-) buttons at the same time, do as what I discovered:

-Choose the Battery Icon
    -Select Power Off
    -Wait until the Playbook is completely shut off
    -About 30 seconds, turn the Playbook back on
    -While in the process of turning on, Hold down the +/- buttons at the same time a few times..depends on how many times you wanna do it.
    -When the Playbook has finished turning on, Hold down the +/- buttons and you should hear the SNAPSHOT sound
    -Check the Camera app. You should be able to see through the Rear-Facing Camera but unfortunately will not be able to use the front-facing camera.

---------------

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    BB Geek likes this.
    01-05-13 12:31 PM
    Thank you both for the reply. The camera will load with other apps and works perfectly fine. The only time it will display this image is when I switch from camera mode to video mode but not all the time. I just tried using the camera and switched to video and it worked fine. Then I closed the camera app and waiting 5 minutes and loaded the camera again and the glitches appeared so its inconsistent.
    01-05-13 12:52 PM
    I just noticed this issue this last week. I've owned the PB is they were first released so I'm out of warranty and I tried calling Playbook support and they were unable to assist. I also tweeted Blackberry help and they were unable to assist as well.
    01-05-13 12:53 PM
    Check out our own SCrid, SCrApps, Video Camera, free app in appworld. Maybe a direct launch of the Video Camera could sidestep the problem.
    01-05-13 02:16 PM
    This is exactly what I was gonna suggest.
    Check out our own SCrid, SCrApps, Video Camera, free app in appworld. Maybe a direct launch of the Video Camera could sidestep the problem.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-05-13 08:38 PM
    This is exactly what I was gonna suggest.
    Let's hope it works.
    01-06-13 12:07 AM
    I downloaded the app and it brought up the same issue. I took a screen shot of the issue with the video camera and the forum to show you it just happened.

oh I was hoping that would have fixed the issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Default camera app problems-uploadfromtaptalk1357458152769.jpg  
    01-06-13 01:43 AM
    Did Rim give any reason why they could not help? Do you get a chance to send an image like you posted here? How 'bout another Tweet with reference to this thread? Or call and ask for Supervisor. A non-warranty repair may be too costly if you can get another one new from one of the sales going on.

Good luck.
    01-06-13 10:04 AM
    Did Rim give any reason why they could not help? Do you get a chance to send an image like you posted here? How 'bout another Tweet with reference to this thread? Or call and ask for Supervisor. A non-warranty repair may be too costly if you can get another one new from one of the sales going on.

Good luck.
    The other day I called 8776448410 and they would not help me without purchasing the extra support plan. I'm calling again right now and speaking with someone new and he seems like he's helping me out
    01-06-13 11:23 AM
    He gave me a free extension until the end of the month
    01-06-13 11:25 AM
    Ive had this issue too, and sometimes when starting the camera it will say "could not start the camera, close some applications and try again"

I called RIM and requested for RMA
    01-06-13 11:26 AM
    I'm still on the phone with him, we're going through some trouble shooting steps. Right now I'm on hold while he is reviewing the screenshots I sent him
    01-06-13 11:41 AM
    I hope it works out. There seems to be something with the camera that seems to pop up and generally can't be user solved. I don't think Rim admits anything but enough issues with it that there's a bug somewhere in the system and once triggered, it is hard to recover.

Good luck with that call.
    01-06-13 01:08 PM
    So after wiping the device and reinstalling the OS I was upgraded to the next level tech support. He looked at all the information and said he has seen this issue before and it's a hardware issue he is sending me a package to send in my PlayBook in for some repair. He said there was no charge unless they find something else that needs to be repaired if they see anything that was not a hardware issue.
    I'll update with my status to see what happens.
    01-06-13 01:22 PM
    Fantastic. They are super fast with the Rma process. From phone call to fixed PlayBook it was a total of 5 days for me including weekends.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-06-13 01:46 PM
    I just got a call back from them. He was having issues setting up the RMA. He said it will take another 4 to 5 days.
    01-06-13 03:13 PM
    I just got a call back from them. He was having issues setting up the RMA. He said it will take another 4 to 5 days.
    So I wanted to get this taken care of so I called back yesterday and spoke to someone new. They were still having issues processing the RMA and told me he would call me as soon as it is completed. Later in the day I got a call saying it was completed and an email arrived in my inbox.

Today I received the box from FedEx and now I'm on my way to a FedEx location to ship it back. What I think is pretty cool is the location is in Tennessee. So I should receive it back soon.

I'll keep updating as soon as I get more information or when it returns.
    01-10-13 12:16 PM
    Let's see how long it takes. Diagonally opposite end of the country from you and it took 5 days total from here and then back to my door!!!
    01-10-13 05:10 PM
    I'm thinking more and more about it the closer the release day gets here
    That's what the tech on the phone and also the paperwork I received said 5 days. I dropped it off by 2pm so most likely will be start delivery tonight.
    01-10-13 06:02 PM
    Let's see how long it takes. Diagonally opposite end of the country from you and it took 5 days total from here and then back to my door!!!
    hopefully yours will be returned back soon..I have sent my bold 9900 for exactly the same reason..camera problem they receive the phone on the 4th of December and I haven't got it back yet...I've been sending them follow up emails and calling them too but they don't know what's happening and they always say "we have contacted the repair facility and will get back to you ASAP" but no information at all from them..
    01-11-13 03:09 AM
    So the turn around was quick FedEx came by the house to deliver the PB. Problem was I wasn't home, now I have to wait for them to deliver it tomorrow.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-16-13 12:46 PM
    So the turn around was quick FedEx came by the house to deliver the PB. Problem was I wasn't home, now I have to wait for them to deliver it tomorrow.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    So FedEx stopped by the house and I now have my PB back. The camera works perfectly for now. I will continue to monitor to see if it appears again.

Right now I'm restoring my backup prior to sending it out and then heading back to Ghost Armor to replace my screen protector and carbon-fiber back.

Thank you again everyone and I have to say RIM RMA service was great to work with and there was a quick turn around.

KidKamel
    01-17-13 10:25 AM
    So it's been a few weeks now and the camera is acting up again. On the phone with Blackberry Support to see what they can do
    02-05-13 08:00 PM
31 12