Hello,

My wife and I recently bought each other a PlayBook. Set up went fine and connecting to the wifi in the house went fine as well. However, shortly after, our PC and MacBook no longer had wi-fi access. Within seconds of the PC and MacBook going down, both of the PlayBooks went down as well. I thought it was just a fluke so rebooted the router. Nope, not a fluke. Everytime either of us tries to connect our PlayBook to the wifi the wifi goes down. After doing some research I altered both our bands on the PlayBooks to 2.4 GHz. This seemed to fix it for a few minutes but then the wifi went down again. We are running the most recent OS on the PlayBooks and use a DLink DIR-615 router.

Questions: Do I have to go out and get a new router or is there something wrong with this latest OS that basically makes the PlayBook useless unless altering the wifi settings? Should I set up two wifi networks in the house so that the PlayBooks have their own dedicated wifi? Am I just missing something in the set-up of the wifi?

We've had multiple blackberry smartphones use the wifi with no issues even up to now. Never had issues with wifi even when others bring laptops, iPods, other smartphones like Samsung and iPhone...etc...

At this point I refuse to give up because I love my PlayBook even though I've only had it for a few days now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks.
    01-01-13 04:05 PM
    Hello,

My wife and I recently bought each other a PlayBook. Set up went fine and connecting to the wifi in the house went fine as well. However, shortly after, our PC and MacBook no longer had wi-fi access. Within seconds of the PC and MacBook going down, both of the PlayBooks went down as well. I thought it was just a fluke so rebooted the router. Nope, not a fluke. Everytime either of us tries to connect our PlayBook to the wifi the wifi goes down. After doing some research I altered both our bands on the PlayBooks to 2.4 GHz. This seemed to fix it for a few minutes but then the wifi went down again. We are running the most recent OS on the PlayBooks and use a DLink DIR-615 router.

Questions: Do I have to go out and get a new router or is there something wrong with this latest OS that basically makes the PlayBook useless unless altering the wifi settings? Should I set up two wifi networks in the house so that the PlayBooks have their own dedicated wifi? Am I just missing something in the set-up of the wifi?

We've had multiple blackberry smartphones use the wifi with no issues even up to now. Never had issues with wifi even when others bring laptops, iPods, other smartphones like Samsung and iPhone...etc...

At this point I refuse to give up because I love my PlayBook even though I've only had it for a few days now.

Thanks.
    Mine has worked flawless on my Apple Airport network for a year and a half. I had issues when I went to my parent's last year when they had a Linksys, but worked fine over Christmas on their newer Netgear. Does your router keep an error log that you can look at and see if it is throwing error codes?
    01-01-13 04:20 PM
    Ah, routers, routers, routers.

Buying a router has become an art lately. The only time I've seen the PlayBook drop WiFi was over an old Bell Canada router while trying to VPN through it using the PlayBook.

I'd recommend shopping for a new router, one that would keep all your devices happy. But before doing this, give a shot setting your wi-fi to 802.11g, and play from there.
    rwaugh80 likes this.
    01-01-13 04:20 PM
    On one of the routers I regularly use, I found that the solution was to disable the "N" standard and force the router to use "G" instead. I have had no problems since doing this. Presumably there should be some option along those lines in your router's settings. (Usually the router will be assigned some IP address, and navigating to that IP address in a web browser will give you a web interface for changing the router's settings. Google may prove helpful if you can't figure it out).

Having said that, I was under the impression it was only an issue with that router because of a bug in it's specific software version, but perhaps the bug (or a similar one) affects other routers. (The router in question was a Virgin Media one, which I believe is produced by Netgear). It's certainly worth trying in my opinion.
    rwaugh80 likes this.
    01-01-13 04:33 PM
    I read in another thread that the PlayBook may kill the flow of packets in your router. What happens if you reset your router?
    01-01-13 04:35 PM
    Thanks for the replies so far! It's always nice to see what others have tried. I've reset the router countless times now. Even did a complete set up of the network all over again. I don't really want to drop down to G but if that is the only way it will work for now then so be it. I'm not very dependent on the speed anyway right now. Just very frustrating that I can't get everything working as it should. I've read on the net that there have been all kinds of issues with wifi with the latest OS release but I'm persistent and refuse to believe that I can't connect my PlayBooks!!!! I will keep trying things until my router decides to roll over and die!
    01-01-13 04:42 PM
    I really don't recall many (any?) threads where the pb has "killed" the router. That seems unusual. Have you made sure that your router has the latest firmware from the manufacturer?
    fasteddyktm likes this.
    01-01-13 05:23 PM
    Look for a firmware update for your router.

D-Link | Wireless N300 Router
    01-01-13 05:32 PM
    The problem is the Dlink router the 615 is the biggest pos Dlink ever made. Through all the revisions the wifi still was flakey and the firmware updates never fixed it. People installed DDWRT firmware to settle down this router to be less problematic but still has minor issues with it.

I owned two 615 a "c" and "e" revision they both sucked on wireless with frequent disconnects for no reason. It's also ALWAYS had packet loss on WIFI.

Buy anything other than Dlink.
    rwaugh80 likes this.
    01-01-13 05:34 PM
    I used wep security for years but when i bought the Playbooks they didn't like it at all......changed to wpa2 psk and they have worked fine since.
    01-01-13 05:46 PM
    Thanks again! I updated the Firmware first thing when I discovered the issue. Didn't resolve anything. I am using WPA2 as my security. I'm thinking of just dropping it down to a G network. I'm beyond frustrated at this point. Never really had issues like this with my network before the PlayBooks.
    01-01-13 06:57 PM
    The funny thing is the PlayBooks completely kill the wifi. Yet if I plug my MacBook directly into the router it still works. It's only the wifi that is affected. Soooooo frustrating!
    01-01-13 06:59 PM
    Wow you must have a cool girlfriend! Mine would have destroyed the playbooks, got her money back and made me sell my RIMM shares if she'd been in that situation...

My playbook seems to have a problem with certain BT routers... I try to connect to a saved one and the whole building goes down. I keep quiet until the router has been rebooted and it seems to be ok for 24 hours or so.... I hope BB10 ****s all over British Telecom.
    01-01-13 07:27 PM
    Got to admit, the PlayBook can slow wifi down. Although it does depend how many devices are connected at once. I limit to two on my router and it works fine. And it also depends how many people in your area are on the internet, because you're all connected to a box which is connected to the main network grid. So if every house with one person was on a device each, your internet would be extremely slow.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    01-01-13 07:36 PM
    I have always used linksys routers with no problem until a short time ago I was away from home and purchased a Belkin and almost every day I could not connect my playbook and other wifi devices with out rebooting. I searched forums and tried different things and same problem, finally I purchased another linksys and had no more problem. Funny thing with the Belkin I could connect my laptop with no problem every time but the PB and phone would constantly not connect from one day to the next.

Have you checked the settings as to how many devices are allowed to connect at any given time?

The funny thing is the PlayBooks completely kill the wifi. Yet if I plug my MacBook directly into the router it still works. It's only the wifi that is affected. Soooooo frustrating!
    01-01-13 07:43 PM
    Put your PlayBooks on 5.0 Band and leave everything else on the 2.4.
    01-01-13 08:32 PM
    I had all sorts of problems with the same router. I don't have alot of technical knowledge so I don't use it anymore. I would buy a new one. Routers are relatively cheap these days. Don't mean to be a pessimist but life is too short to pull your hair out over this issue.
    01-01-13 09:44 PM
    Put your PlayBooks on 5.0 Band and leave everything else on the 2.4.
    DIR-615 is not a dual band router. The router is the issue and nothing to do with the playbook. The issue with the router has nothing to do with hard wired connections it's always been a wifi issue since they made the 615 model.

Trust me a router not Dlink will solve your problem.
    rwaugh80 likes this.
    01-01-13 10:27 PM
    Hello,

Thanks.
    I own two dllink routers and cant use wireless n but wireless g works on both my playbooks and use wireless n (third router) for my laptops

Hope it helps
    01-01-13 11:32 PM
    my folks had this issue w/ dlink. tried resetting, tried disabling this or that, nothing seemed to work. bought a new one last year on boxing day special for less than 100 bucks and it had all the bells and whistles. bb worked perfectly.
    01-02-13 12:45 AM
    It seems that the problem is your router, probably it can not handle multiple connections or something like that. I have been using my playbook at work, coffee shops, hotels and airports and had not problems at all. I have a Linksys router at home and yesterday my wife was using her laptop and iPhone, I was watching Netflix and using my playbook and we didn't have any problems with our router or wifi.
    01-02-13 10:40 AM
    Thanks everyone! I bit the bullet and dropped it down to G and at least for the rest of the night it worked without issue. I haven't checked today as I am at work but I haven't gotten an email or call from anybody at home so I assume it is still working. I will be looking into a new router in the near future but if the bandaid works for now that's all I care about.

Thanks again!
    01-02-13 11:03 AM
    Cool. If that is an older router with draft N it seems the pb has trouble with draft N
    01-02-13 11:05 AM
    (...) Trust me a router not Dlink will solve your problem.
    Beware I get the very same issues with an (admitedly) very old Apple Airport router here...
    01-02-13 12:07 PM
    You'll need a new router. I used to have a linksys that drove me up the wall in this manner. But it was an android phone that would kill the wifi.

The issue is most likely related to crummy dhcp implementation by the router maker.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-02-13 12:12 PM
31 12