Does the "Work" partition of BB10 Balance only work with BES?

Or, can one use both partitions independently without requiring one of them to be BES?
    12-27-12 05:38 PM
    Based on the information available - you need BES.
    12-27-12 05:49 PM
    As a consumer I would like to have one partition that is safe/secure for my personal activities like banking and the other partition for every day usage. RIM could go for the jugular on security issues that Android and Apple have from time to time. Think about it, with a few tv commercials pointing out security issues with other platforms RIM could probably gain a lot of new users. Nothing wrong with a little fear in marketing. What do you think?
    12-27-12 08:09 PM
    As a consumer I would like to have one partition that is safe/secure for my personal activities like banking and the other partition for every day usage. RIM could go for the jugular on security issues that Android and Apple have from time to time. Think about it, with a few tv commercials pointing out security issues with other platforms RIM could probably gain a lot of new users. Nothing wrong with a little fear in marketing. What do you think?
    I like this idea. especially when my friends want to use my phone, kids playing with it, etc.
    12-27-12 10:26 PM
    That's what I was thinking. I don't have kids but I have friends that do and their kids are always playing games on there phones and sometimes delete or download stuff there not supposed to. Having a second partition available for consumers to be able to set up a seperate profile for there kids that was safe and secure and not able to download content unless preapproved and able to be monitored and managed by seperate computer would be awesome,,,kinda like kids corner on WP8 only better.
    chrysaurora and phylez like this.
    12-27-12 11:23 PM
    Agreed. Need this feature/ability. Some sort of "guest" profile.
    phylez likes this.
    12-27-12 11:25 PM
    maybe there will be a BES 10 express.. then you can manage it on your own BES, not sure if you need a BES data plan though.
    12-28-12 10:24 AM
    maybe there will be a BES 10 express.. then you can manage it on your own BES, not sure if you need a BES data plan though.
    BES doesn't require any different data plan other than BIS.

I have to admit, I have trouble seeing what's being suggested here, unless you're looking for some kind of "stealth" functionality (a la Blackbook). Yeah, okay, the "guest profile" thing might be useful if you're in the habit of letting your kids into the phone, but as for keeping stuff secure... don't you want to keep the WHOLE phone secure?

BTW, I understand that there may be a new, quick secure-unlock feature, though typing a pw on the keyboard is reasonably quick...
    12-28-12 10:35 AM
    My idea was for a secure partition similar to what enterprise/business demands except for consumer privacy. This would be a hack proof area to do, let's say, your personal banking or online shopping. I obviously don't know if it can be done but I think it would be very attractive to many consumers as more and more people do everything on their phones now.
    I'm not worried about kids so much as I am for minimizing cyber criminals .
    12-28-12 02:54 PM
    So here is the deal. Not sure if this is an Exchange thing or the particular MDM (not BES for sure) thing but when my co-workers bring their own devices (androids and iphones) and use the work Exchange account, they get notified and have to agree that IT can wipe their device. I've never understood this because presumably all your personal stuff is also lost if and when this happens. Now, if I could use my work account on a separate partition, then I wouldn't mind it so much. I am sure this is not an isolated scenario. This could be a potential marketing goldmine for RIM.
    12-28-12 04:57 PM
    So here is the deal. Not sure if this is an Exchange thing or the particular MDM (not BES for sure) thing but when my co-workers bring their own devices (androids and iphones) and use the work Exchange account, they get notified and have to agree that IT can wipe their device. I've never understood this because presumably all your personal stuff is also lost if and when this happens. Now, if I could use my work account on a separate partition, then I wouldn't mind it so much. I am sure this is not an isolated scenario. This could be a potential marketing goldmine for RIM.
    That is exactly what BB Balance is. It's a separate profile, with a virtual partition, that your companies IT department has access to, can lock down and limit what is accessible, and can wipe if needed. None of your personal stuff is touched in any way.
    12-28-12 06:19 PM
    That is exactly what BB Balance is. It's a separate profile, with a virtual partition, that your companies IT department has access to, can lock down and limit what is accessible, and can wipe if needed. None of your personal stuff is touched in any way.
    But it won't work unless the company is running BES which my company isn't. I guess this is the difference between what RIM is offering and what VMWare is looking into in the ars article.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...a-smartphones/
    12-28-12 06:20 PM
    But it won't work unless the company is running BES which my company isn't. I guess this is the difference between what RIM is offering and what VMWare is looking into in the ars article.

Ars readers confirm: We want dual-persona smartphones | Ars Technica
    Right... wasn't looking at the service being used by the employer, just the feature. With that said, it doesn't necessarily need BES, but a BlackBerry solution none the less.. i.e. BlackBerry Fusion.
    12-28-12 06:27 PM
    My question would be does my employer have to enable balance via BES or can I enable it from the phone? The reason for my asking is my current employer will not enable balance for BB7 phones. They also use outdated phone policies and ridiculous restrictions that make many apps and phone functions just not work. This has added to the perception of poor quality for RIM and sped up the transition off BB. The user needs to be able to force creation of the balance partitions in BB10.
    12-28-12 09:18 PM
    My question would be does my employer have to enable balance via BES or can I enable it from the phone?
    Balance enables on the device upon activation of an Enterprise (work) e-mail account, BES or no BES in the picture. For those in the BYOD ActiveSync Camp - this is how things will work. You add a work e-mail account & the partition is created. Images/Docs/etc that are saved from that account will be in the work partition.

With a BES in the picture - is a great question. I believe you are wondering if a corporation with BES can still completely lock down BB10 phones so there is no personal use (apps/etc) allowed? I don't believe that will be the case - but could be wrong.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-29-12 10:42 AM
    I think balance is a great feature but as soon as I saw it I had a feeling it would only be available for BES.

As a university student i often add professors/teaching assistants/group members (not really friends...) to my contacts. While I don't need all of the security features that enterprise users may require, I would certainly find use in having two separate profiles on my mobile device. I have to say, for something that they are showing off quite a bit, its a little disappointing that normal consumers may not have access to this.

I wonder if anything will replace this downward-swipe gesture - it would be a shame to just not have anything at all since its such a convenient gesture.
    12-29-12 01:27 PM
    Balance enables on the device upon activation of an Enterprise (work) e-mail account, BES or no BES in the picture. For those in the BYOD ActiveSync Camp - this is how things will work. You add a work e-mail account & the partition is created. Images/Docs/etc that are saved from that account will be in the work partition.
    Wow! If this is true, this right here, will be the killer feature of BB10. It will be interesting to see how having a BES *and* ActiveSync "work" account will be handled.
    12-29-12 02:27 PM
    Yes. If this is true that BES (or Mobile Fusion) is NOT required for Balance to work on BB 10, as we were previously led to believe, then this is a great thing.
    12-30-12 12:12 AM