http://www.phonearena.com/news/Andro...y-11th_id38041

100$ for each app. wow. this is seriously geared towards small time android developers. the big boys probably couldn't care less about the 100$.

i strongly disapprove of rim's amass all kinds of apps regardless of quality kind of strategy. and i even more strongly disapprove of trying to build up the android app base instead of promoting native development.

are you concerned?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-27-12 06:18 AM
    if you have been checking "new arrivals" on the pb you will know what I mean.

David in Durham likes this.
    12-27-12 06:23 AM
    Don't be alarmed just yet. This is just for start, if developers will find that the BB market share good enough they will port apps using native frameworks. I don't like Android apps ether on my PlayBook and each time I use them my dislikeness just increases. I hope we'll have enough good native apps on BB10 so Android apps will be or converted to native or die
    12-27-12 06:38 AM
    Same amount of trash that's already on Android and iOS. Why should we care? As long as we get the big guys, we'll be OK.
    12-27-12 07:33 AM
    I detest the idea of the Android player in BB10 and think it hasn't helped the platform at all, has only helped people pirate Android apps onto the Playbook. But as long as the major important apps are native I could care less if the non-important apps are ports. Why? Because ignorant tech bloggers out there only care quantity of apps, not quality and if RIM can say they have hundreds of thousands of apps, even if most are crap ports or books wrapped as apps, and all the major name apps are native and work great, then it won't hurt the platform and may show Android developers that they can make more money in Blackberry and not have their apps pirated.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-27-12 09:01 AM
    I detest the idea of the Android player in BB10 and think it hasn't helped the platform at all, has only helped people pirate Android apps onto the Playbook. But as long as the major important apps are native I could care less if the non-important apps are ports. Why? Because ignorant tech bloggers out there only care quantity of apps, not quality and if RIM can say they have hundreds of thousands of apps, even if most are crap ports or books wrapped as apps, and all the major name apps are native and work great, then it won't hurt the platform and may show Android developers that they can make more money in Blackberry and not have their apps pirated.
    I'm still waiting for all those "major name apps" for the PlayBook... not to even have a native Twitter Apps??!!

That said, I wouldn't care about all the Junk in Apps World, if I could find the good stuff. I know RIM is suppose to be releasing a new App World for BB10, I just hope that have come up with a better ratings system that weights the votes based on the number of votes. And that does not allow negative votes to be removed so easily.

That said I've seen very few quality apps being ported over to the PlayBook from Android.. not sure why those developers don't seem to care?
    12-27-12 09:26 AM
    no i'm not concerned. there aught to be some rubbish in every ecosystem. that being said a well thought out app is a well thought app regardless of the ecosystem it was originally built for. i have dozens of android ports on my playbook and some of which i use quite often and would review very highly. Example: "Pimp My Music" by James Pickup. it's simple (looks like it was built in a couple hours) but it gets the job done and is the only app to edit ID3 music tags on the PB.
    12-27-12 03:03 PM
    Yes, i am concerned. It is obvious that RIM wishes to show large numbers on launch. Just hope that RIM has developed good filtering / search engine into BB world, else it will be a mess.

I am with you, i whant good apps and not filler apps.
    12-29-12 07:43 AM
    RIM honestly has no standards at all when it comes to BB10 apps. They will take any app a developer is willing to submit. They are even paying people $100 for each webworks web launcher. It takes all of 5 minutes to make a web launcher once the SDK and your signing keys are set up. Oh well. Easiest $1,200 I've ever made. Lol

Does anyone remember what it was like when the PlayBook first launched? BB10 will be even worst. They are gonna be proud of the 70,000-100,000 apps that nobody wants or needs and the majority of these developers will take the easy money and free devices and not develope for the platform again until the next promotion comes out.

But you can't fault the developers for letting RIM pay them for their garbage. Its RIM's desperation that allows people to take advantage of a situation like this. It won't be pretty.
    12-29-12 01:29 PM
    The Android Player is a waste of time and money. It also takes the full potential of BB10 OS away. Really disappointed in RIM in this aspect.
    kdna and David in Durham like this.
    12-29-12 01:41 PM
    Ugh, the atmosphere in this thread is yuck! :s We all here act like if we know it all and RIM knows $h!t about this market. Seriously guys, RIM has been around for many years and I can bet you anything that RIM knows that crappy apps will make it to BBW. They want quality AND quantity. They are making sure the important apps have the quality we all want and just let all the other medium to quality lacking apps make up the numbers. If you guys were thinking of at least 95% of BBW to be flooded with ultra-high quality apps, you guys were just delusional.

They know how to get this to work. Thor has been turning around a whole company and pretty much has been successful, yet you believe RIM is just a lil ignorant child in this? Apple is not the only one how knows his $h!t...
    12-29-12 02:03 PM
    The Android Player is a waste of time and money. It also takes the full potential of BB10 OS away. Really disappointed in RIM in this aspect.
    Unfortunately it could be the only way to get some apps before their developers decide to create/port app to BB10. So, it's somewhat useful.
    gokulesh likes this.
    12-29-12 02:05 PM
    Ugh, the atmosphere in this thread is yuck! :s We all here act like if we know it all and RIM knows $h!t about this market. Seriously guys, RIM has been around for many years and I can bet you anything that RIM knows that crappy apps will make it to BBW. They want quality AND quantity. They are making sure the important apps have the quality we all want and just let all the other medium to quality lacking apps make up the numbers. If you guys were thinking of at least 95% of BBW to be flooded with ultra-high quality apps, you guys were just delusional.

They know how to get this to work. Thor has been turning around a whole company and pretty much has been successful, yet you believe RIM is just a lil ignorant child in this? Apple is not the only one how knows his $h!t...
    You're right. They actually have a specific certification for BB10 apps (Build for BlackBerry if I remember correctly). So all rubbish apps won't have that certification and probably will not be promoted by BlackBerry World. I just hope we'll have a special section Build for BlackBerry, where only quality apps are listed
    12-29-12 02:09 PM

as much as i like your enthusiasm i find it extremely difficult to share the same sentiments as rim would not be in this position if they knew what they were doing. the grand plan of using android to build quantity is something mike and jim pioneered and i think it's not too late to remove the player before launch.

12-29-12 04:05 PM
    RIM is in between a rock and a hard place. Sure, made for BB is best, but App developers are suspicious of whether BB10 will succeed, so wait to see. In the meantime RIM are criticised for not having enough Apps.

What would you do to fill the gap in the interim? I'd do what RIM are doing.
    LuvULongTime and jimpilot like this.
    12-29-12 04:16 PM
    RIM is in between a rock and a hard place. Sure, made for BB is best, but App developers are suspicious of whether BB10 will succeed, so wait to see. In the meantime RIM are criticised for not having enough Apps.

What would you do to fill the gap in the interim? I'd do what RIM are doing.
    I agree, and remember among the dross the gold will shine. So give the small developer a chance to shine.
    12-29-12 04:27 PM
    You're right. They actually have a specific certification for BB10 apps (Build for BlackBerry if I remember correctly). So all rubbish apps won't have that certification and probably will not be promoted by BlackBerry World. I just hope we'll have a special section Build for BlackBerry, where only quality apps are listed
    I echo your sentiment. I really hope that in the new App World, it will be made abundantly clear which apps are native and which apps are android. I have utterly detested the inability to find this information out when getting apps on the Playbook. I actually stopped buying apps until I find out if it's a native app or if it's an android port as I refuse to use Android on my device. In terms of BB10, I only want to support BB10 apps - not ported apps so it would be very handy if this was clearly specified in App World.
    12-30-12 12:07 AM
    I echo your sentiment. I really hope that in the new App World, it will be made abundantly clear which apps are native and which apps are android. I have utterly detested the inability to find this information out when getting apps on the Playbook. I actually stopped buying apps until I find out if it's a native app or if it's an android port as I refuse to use Android on my device. In terms of BB10, I only want to support BB10 apps - not ported apps so it would be very handy if this was clearly specified in App World.
    I get why you would want to know if the app is Android or not but for RIM's sake, app developers who port Android apps are testing the waters. if no one ends up downloading the android ports, they may feel that developing for BB is useless. But if they do feel the hunger and desperation of the community, they might feel encouraged to develop a native app.

LuvULongTime and jimpilot like this.
    12-30-12 05:44 AM
    As long as we get the big guys, we'll be OK.
    It's not as simple as just the big names. Each person has their 'core' of apps they like/want/need and these differ from person to person. With iOS/Android more people are going to be able to find those differing apps because there are more to cherry pick from. When you only have a small app selection, those users are less likely to find that magic spot of a set of particular apps that suits them.

-this is where it gets more subtle, and this kind of ties in with the first point - tier 2 and tier 3 apps. These aren't the Facebooks or Instagrams, these are more like your file managers, personal organizers, bank apps, fitness trackers etc etc. There's a TON of these tier 2 developers on iOS/Android because the smaller potato guys know that's who butters their bread. It's hard to convince these guys to develop for OS's with a smaller user base, and really, these are the guys are the unmentioned backbone of an app store.
    12-30-12 08:02 AM
    It's not as simple as just the big names. Each person has their 'core' of apps they like/want/need and these differ from person to person. With iOS/Android more people are going to be able to find those differing apps because there are more to cherry pick from. When you only have a small app selection, those users are less likely to find that magic spot of a set of particular apps that suits them.

-this is where it gets more subtle, and this kind of ties in with the first point - tier 2 and tier 3 apps. These aren't the Facebooks or Instagrams, these are more like your file managers, personal organizers, bank apps, fitness trackers etc etc. There's a TON of these tier 2 developers on iOS/Android because the smaller potato guys know that's who butters their bread. It's hard to convince these guys to develop for OS's with a smaller user base, and really, these are the guys are the unmentioned backbone of an app store.
    I concur! This will be the problem that RIM faces going forward. I have an app that tracks every call and loads it into my calendar to keep me informed on what client I talked to and when. This is not a major developer but this is an app that I cannot live without. There are several apps like this in the Google Play Store but with the choices given you have way more options. I think RIM knows this but there is nothing they can do about it because nearly no one will create native apps until the user base is there. I think the android player will eventually be the downfall of this platform because what other incentive do developers have the create apps natively?
    12-30-12 11:08 AM
    I get why you would want to know if the app is Android or not but for RIM's sake, app developers who port Android apps are testing the waters. if no one ends up downloading the android ports, they may feel that developing for BB is useless. But if they do feel the hunger and desperation of the community, they might feel encouraged to develop a native app.

Unfortunately, your premise has not been proven by the experience in the Playbook. Developers have not used their Android apps as evidence that people want native apps nor have they gone on too subsequently release native versions of their apps to appease those individuals who only want native apps. In fact, the opposite has occurred whereby an app went from native to android during an upgrade - one of the speech translation apps whose name I forget as I deleted it once it did this.

I understand what are you are suggesting but I just don't believe it works. If developers are testing the waters with android versions of their apps only to find that consumers will not Download them because they are android, these developers were flawed from the beginning. They should be testing the waters with natively designed apps, using the tools that RIM has provided, and then making a decision as to whether consumers will support them.
    David in Durham likes this.
    12-30-12 06:22 PM
    I kind of view the implementation of the android runtime on the PB as a bandaid fix for a shortage of apps that's unfortunately now viewed by RIM as a permanent fixture. Thematically they don't even sit well with me, having the same look and feel as old Gingerbread apps rather than the style of qnx apps. Will this differing look and feel become even more pronounced on a newer bb10?
    12-30-12 07:08 PM
    I don't like the idea of having garbage apps in our bbw, but what app store doesn't? As long as the big name apps and games (games are important to) are there then nobody can say sh*t. I have faith in RIM, they know what they're doing. It doesn't matter how much money they blow on devs because if the apps aren't there at launch then no amount of money is going to save them. They will get bought, broken up, etc. This is their last chance to right themselves so we just need to have faith and wait.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-30-12 07:19 PM
    Like or not, rubish or not..gotta have that number of apps to survive this market. It's all about apps and market shar nums
    12-30-12 07:27 PM
    Look like RIM cannot win worth trying... If they do not have enought apps in App World compared to Android and Apple... they are a failure... If they do not have enough of what is considered "quality apps" ( whatever that maybe!!"... they are a failure..... Simple... if RIM wants to play in the big leagues we all have to put up with "crappy apps".... because whether we like it or not the amount of apps available at launch will have a great effect on BB10 success.... As for quality apps... that is very much in the eye of the beholder..... but realistically at lauch if either Netflix.. Skpe and Instagram are not there them RIM will have big trouble.... I for one could care less about any of them as I find my Playbook does what I want and have no use for any of them... but I am just one person.....
    12-30-12 07:53 PM
44 12