Just wanted to compile my experience with this OS update specific to this handset and carrier as there may be some issues that are unique to users of the T-Mobile version of the 8320. Hopefully this will help those of you pondering the upgrade and answer any questions before they develop.

Installation is straightforward if you've done an OS upgrade before. if not, please review one of the many guides on this and other forums for assistance.
    - removing the previous OS from your device (wiping) is not necessary.
    - if you're upgrading from OS 4.5.0.42 or higher, you may leave the media card installed in the device. if not, remove the card, back it up, and format it before reinstalling in the device to prevent a format read error that causes a device restart loop.

after 18 hours of testing, the device has not died, restarted, or dropped a call based on device errors.

-UMA calls connect cleanly and consistently.
    -wifi network detection seems to have lost some speed as it now takes just a bit longer for it to detect and connect to my T-Mobile Linksys hotspot router. i will be deleting the wifi profile database to see if this will fix the issue and report back.
    -If you use the bundled MSN Messenger app, the update will revert back to the older, packaged version. delete and resintall the newest version from mobile.blackberry.com, then go into Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > Shared > Loader > 8320-v4.5.0.81_P2.7.0.78 folder and locate the file "WLM.alx" and rename it to "WLM.OLD". This will prevent future connections to Desktop Manager from reverting to the old version automatically.
    -Bluetooth during UMA calling has finally been stabilized. the static present in previous releases has been fixed, and the reliability has been much improved. a 30 minute test call was successful, as well as receiving calls with the headset.
    -UMA handoff stability has been improved noticeably when transferring from UMA to cellular and vice versa.
    -Wireless Update. you will probably notice this option in Options > Advanced Options. it works, but once your service books are downloaded, this option will go away as T-Mobile does not support the function.
    -service books. you may notice before service books are installed the above wireless update option, and you may also lose your Email Setup icon. this will come back once your service books are updated.

for me this was a very worthwhile update. since 4.5.0.55, the UMA + Bluetooth calling had been pretty much dead for me, as every call would die after 30 seconds with that combo. with this release, it has been completely fixed; no static, no dropped calls, no mid-call reboots. if you had issues with UMA calling, bluetooth, or the combination of the two, i highly recommend upgrading to this release.

if you have an 8120, 8320, or 8820 and use UMA calling at all, i highly recommend upgrading to this release as it resolves ALL of the calling issues that UMA users have been having in recent releases.
    Last edited by oakie; 09-27-08 at 12:35 AM.
    09-25-08 11:29 AM
    Good job. Yea I haven't had a problem with .81 either. I actually really like it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-08 11:33 AM
    anyone have the link to download the .81 version?
    09-25-08 12:36 PM
    Great rundown and review Oakie!!

Very professional, spot-on and accurate... all of the bases were covered and everything you need to know is analyzed right here in this post!!

I am glad you finally got your BlueTooth and UMA conflict resolved with the upgrade to .81!!
    09-25-08 12:43 PM
    Geat post Oakie. Will answer alot of questions..!
    09-25-08 12:45 PM
    This is what I wanted to wake up too, beautiful news... :-)
    09-25-08 12:49 PM
    So this is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask..

I also have the 8320 on T-Mobile. I don't use the wifi or bluetooth. I was wondering if I should bother updating my OSM? I don't really get what the difference is? What are the benefits of the new system?

Sorry.. I'm not much of a BB genius like you guys!!
    09-25-08 12:53 PM
    So this is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask..

I also have the 8320 on T-Mobile. I don't use the wifi or bluetooth. I was wondering if I should bother updating my OSM? I don't really get what the difference is? What are the benefits of the new system?

Sorry.. I'm not much of a BB genius like you guys!!
    If those things that oakie mentioned arent very important to you or useful then no. an upgrade isnt needed. Most of us are upgrading to fix bugs that were in our previous OS
    09-25-08 12:59 PM
    Doesn't this OS fix also some of the issues with the volume?
    09-25-08 01:06 PM
    anyone have the link to download the .81 version?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...-8320-a-75755/
    09-25-08 01:08 PM
    Likewise I have found .81 to be rock solid on my 8310
    09-25-08 01:12 PM

I second that motion, Nice Job oakie!
    09-25-08 03:22 PM
    Good work Oakie..I had .55 and in a couple hours I will have .81!
    09-25-08 04:06 PM
    Doesn't this OS fix also some of the issues with the volume?
    i have never had volume issues with my device on any OS, even as early as 4.5.0.42, where the issue first came up.
    09-25-08 06:48 PM
    I followed the link in one of the other posts and when it brought me to the download page it said it was for Vodafone Australia and Fiji. I know I will have to delete the vendor.xml file as per the instructions prior to putting my 8320 (also on T-Mobile USA).

So, I guess this is probably a silly question, will it cause problems (bricking my phone) during the installation being it is a foreign installation file?
    09-25-08 11:01 PM
    Just did the update everything went so smooth. Only took bout 40 minutes Im pretty stoked!!!!
    09-25-08 11:06 PM
    I followed the link in one of the other posts and when it brought me to the download page it said it was for Vodafone Australia and Fiji. I know I will have to delete the vendor.xml file as per the instructions prior to putting my 8320 (also on T-Mobile USA).

So, I guess this is probably a silly question, will it cause problems (bricking my phone) during the installation being it is a foreign installation file?
    Nope your all good. I seriously just finished the update its so easy....
    09-25-08 11:08 PM
    Nope your all good. I seriously just finished the update its so easy....
    Thanks, I'm downloading the installation file now and will perform the upgrade sometime tomorrow.

09-25-08 11:09 PM
    I was running 8320E_PBr4.5.0_rel92_PL2.7.0.72_A4.5.0.69 and had the UMA vs. Bluetooth glitch that completely disallowed me to use Bluetooth while on UMA. Bluetooth was fine on t-mobile EDGE, but I was forced to use the speakerphone or standard headset to use UMA. I'm downloading the .81 release now, I'm pretty happy because it sounds like it's resolved. Thanks to all who helped and posted links.
    09-26-08 07:17 AM
    The short answer is no. Just remember to remove the vendor file and you should be fine.
    09-26-08 09:54 AM
    Just wanted to compile my experience with this OS update specific to this handset and carrier as there may be some issues that are unique to users of the T-Mobile version of the 8320. Hopefully this will help those of you pondering the upgrade and answer any questions before they develop.

Installation is straightforward if you've done an OS upgrade before. if not, please review one of the many guides on this and other forums for assistance.
    - removing the previous OS from your device (wiping) is not necessary.
    - if you're upgrading from OS 4.5.0.42 or higher, you may leave the media card installed in the device. if not, remove the card, back it up, and format it before reinstalling in the device to prevent a format read error that causes a device restart loop.

after 18 hours of testing, the device has not died, restarted, or dropped a call based on device errors.

-UMA calls connect cleanly and consistently.
    -wifi network detection seems to have lost some speed as it now takes just a bit longer for it to detect and connect to my T-Mobile Linksys hotspot router. i will be deleting the wifi profile database to see if this will fix the issue and report back.
    -If you use the bundled MSN Messenger app, the update will revert back to the older, packaged version. delete and resintall the newest version from mobile.blackberry.com, then go into Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > Shared > Loader > 8320-v4.5.0.81_P2.7.0.78 folder and locate the file "WLM.alx" and rename it to "WLM.OLD". This will prevent future connections to Desktop Manager from reverting to the old version automatically.
    -Bluetooth during UMA calling has finally been stabilized. the static present in previous releases has been fixed, and the reliability has been much improved. a 30 minute test call was successful, as well as receiving calls with the headset.
    -UMA handoff stability has been improved noticeably when transferring from UMA to cellular and vice versa.
    -Wireless Update. you will probably notice this option in Options > Advanced Options. it works, but once your service books are downloaded, this option will go away as T-Mobile does not support the function.
    -service books. you may notice before service books are installed the above wireless update option, and you may also lose your Email Setup icon. this will come back once your service books are updated.

for me this was a very worthwhile update. since 4.5.0.55, the UMA + Bluetooth calling had been pretty much dead for me, as every call would die after 30 seconds with that combo. with this release, it has been completely fixed; no static, no dropped calls, no mid-call reboots. if you had issues with UMA calling, bluetooth, or the combination of the two, i highly recommend upgrading to this release.
    what about ringer volume? does it compare to 4.2?
    09-26-08 12:05 PM
    Upgraded last night on my 8320, and this ssems to be the best beta yet. As for the ringer volume, its been so long since I used 4.2 that the volume seems normal to me.

09-26-08 12:09 PM
    Upgraded last night on my 8320, and this ssems to be the best beta yet. As for the ringer volume, its been so long since I used 4.2 that the volume seems normal to me.

ever since i started using beta's the sound quality and volume has deteriorated if there is one thing i miss about 4.2 its the sound quality
    09-26-08 12:11 PM
    The new OS helps a lot with volume compared to the 4.5.0.55

09-26-08 12:13 PM
    awesome review! thx oakie!
    09-26-08 12:13 PM
194 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD