It seems the latest update fixed STELLARIUM. Back to the stars.
    12-19-12 09:43 PM
    I installed the OS update and Stellarium is still broken. How did you get yours to work?
    Did you sideload it?
    Last edited by pragmaticjack; 12-20-12 at 06:46 AM.
    12-20-12 06:13 AM
    Me too... Despite the PlayBook OS update to 2.1.0.1314, Stellarium is still freezing the moment that I touch the screen after the app loads. :-(
    12-20-12 08:16 AM
    mine locks too as soon as you touch the screen.
    12-20-12 08:20 AM
    Mine also locks up after touching the screen. I also updated the os yesterday.
    12-20-12 12:34 PM
    Yup, mine doesn't work either.
    12-20-12 12:57 PM
    Going to have try deleting and reinstalling to see if that works when I get home.
    12-20-12 02:18 PM
    I tried deleting and reinstalling it, but still freezes.
    12-20-12 03:27 PM
    Yep, delete .. reboot .. reinstall and ........ nada
    12-20-12 05:12 PM
    I installed the OS update and Stellarium is still broken. How did you get yours to work?
    Did you sideload it?
    No I didn't sideload it, I just reinstalled the app after the update opened it up and was suprised it let me zoom in to Saturn. I left it on why I posted this thread, went back to it and played with it a little longer. Before going to work this morning started it up and it froze up immediately. I'm going to try and get it going again. Sorry about that CB. Heads, I thought the update fixed it along with Stick Tennis.
    12-20-12 08:45 PM
    Mine just crashes on launch now, on 2.1.0.1314. On 2.1.0.1088, it would freeze on first touch.
    12-21-12 03:57 AM
    I don't want to sadden anyone here (indeed I hesitated to react these last days), but this is just to mention, the alternative "What'sUp" app never stopped working in the meanwhile. Given its impressive quality and documentation, you may wish to switch...
    H.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    12-21-12 07:31 AM
    I don't want to sadden anyone here (indeed I hesitated to react these last days), but this is just to mention, the alternative "What'sUp" app never stopped working in the meanwhile. Given its impressive quality and documentation, you may wish to switch...
    H.
    This apparent support fiasco saddens me as well. We need more science apps on PB/BB10 and losing this one is not a good thing. I simply do not understand why Stellarium should not be available. One thing is certain though - there is no underlying intractable problem with the OS itself. So the fault lies entirely with the developer. There could be many reasons why the app does not work under 2.1 but that's why RIM gives us early access to beta OSs so that we can work the bugs out of our products. Problems were reported early in the beta period but they did not get corrected although there was plenty of time to do so.

I hope that there is a happy ending for those who bought this high profile app. but I fear that there may other reasons why the dev has abandoned you. Compared to my own experience, he had all the advantages in leveraging a mature open-source project. Having said that, it is a lot of work to single-handedly support a complex program like stellarium unless you have been working with it for a long time. In addition, the app has so many obscure settings and features that it must be a nightmare for novice users to master. I believe that the on-board help in What's up is second to none but still most of the emails that I receive are queries about how to use my app. It's a lot of work.

In addition, this forum is littered with threads that document my early problems in getting the magnetometer working and cohering Air to behave itself. RIM certainly did not make it easy for me but thing have improved greatly since the early days. Still, if you look at the work involved, there is a low expectation of getting rich by offering a PB app. You really have to love what you are doing in order to keep on keeping on. I hate to think that the profit motive is involved in all of this but who knows? Anyway, here's hoping that Stellarium returns.
    Herve5 likes this.
    12-21-12 09:02 AM
    In past hour I have 'found' and downloaded (i.e. purchased) What's up and WOW - it is BRILLIANT! Will look for dedicated forum to discuss (LOTS to learn but already have couple questions / ideas).
    Remember to KEEP SMILING and KEEP LOOKING UP! Clear skies from sunny South Africa
    Herve5 likes this.
    01-16-13 07:22 AM
    It can be difficult to make money of apps, but it's not entirely impossible. Thinking about apps like Files and Folders and the Xlabz apps.
    01-16-13 06:50 PM