Hello All.

As many of you have, I got the "white screen" on my Bold 9780. Now after a little research, I've found out that the phone needs to be disassembled (done), and the screen model# will be found printed on the back (done 004/111). Fine, I order a new one (from a chinese company on eBay...stupid me - don't make that mistake yourself). So after a month of waiting, my replacement screen (002/111) arrives. F**k, they sent the wrong screen for the right model.

So after all that, and having read over and over that you CAN NOT swap one screen for another I got to thinking...why on earth would a company do that? Have non interchangeable screens for the same model phone? It occured to me that the different models of screens come from different factories producing the same model phone. In my opinion, it would only make sense that you could simply change/update/install a device driver for that specific screen on that specific device.

Anyone have any idea if this could be true, or how to update a device driver for the screen?

Thanks in advance for any help someone/anyone could give.

Cheers all.
    12-15-12 02:32 PM
    Different screens for different phone make sense as you will have different electronics inside the device later in their build life. Sometimes you will find that the exact same model of a device which is made in different countries uses different parts due to what can be sourced locally. There are also posts in this forum where people have been sent 9700 screens for their 9780 phones.

Hit EBay with a complaint and get your money back. You have not been sold the product you requested. You should have law on your side to get this corrected.

Then order the correct screen from a reputable retailer with good feedback.

I don't think you will get far trying to find the correct "driver" for a different screen. It is more likely to be an electrical difference. If it was possible to install the "wrong" screen and get it to work, there woudl already have been plenty of posts about it.
    QC_Al likes this.
    12-17-12 09:35 AM
    Unfortunately, on eBay this retailer had a good rating 98.8% positive...unfortunately, outside of eBay in some forums...not the same case.
    12-20-12 05:39 PM
    was this in manchester by any chance
    phoneXXX

Keith
    01-20-13 11:05 AM
    I had the similar problem if you load OS5 on that device it will possibly work again, but you will not be able to upgrade the OS ever.. i also purchased from EBAY Chinese company long time ago they did not explain that those screens had to be OS5. i got ripped for 3 at the same time.
    i take to local guys now they seem to have the good stuff LOL!
    01-20-13 11:11 AM
    @PALeafs67: You won't be able to get OS5 onto a Bold 9780. It is OS6 only.
    01-20-13 11:18 AM
    Your right i was thinking 9700 s good catch...
    01-20-13 04:35 PM
    I had the similar problem if you load OS5 on that device it will possibly work again, but you will not be able to upgrade the OS ever.. i also purchased from EBAY Chinese company long time ago they did not explain that those screens had to be OS5. i got ripped for 3 at the same time.
    i take to local guys now they seem to have the good stuff LOL!
    What a thing. I got ripped of by an eBay Chinese company for 3 LCDs I had bought from them early last year. All 3 screens came cracked. Returns these and got replacements but they were cloned screens: same serial numbers but the LCD flex & the structure of the LCDs were noticeable different. By that time, the 40 days for filing a claim had passed so I lost my money. I now buy replacements from one seller in NY. There is another seller in Westminster CA that I purchase other BB, HTC & Samsung parts. But most of my purchases are for blackberry phones. Interestingly I bought 3 LCDs from the seller in NY late last year and got the correct ones bought two more a month after and got the cloned ones which I recognised immediately. When I asked the customer rep if he knew the difference between the two types, he didn’t have a clue. Because I have a good relationship with this seller I had no problems to get the correct replacements at a discount. Always insist on looking for OEM replacement LCD and touch screen digitizers and ask questions before making a purchase. You have far less headaches that way.
    01-20-13 05:45 PM