If the software is ready to go, why not at least release it for the PB? It would give those of us who have been DYING for it something to enjoy before the new Phones are released, and I think it can help spread the hype to others about the greatness of the OS.... So why not release the update for PB?
    12-12-12 07:46 PM
    Probably because the L and N series will be their new flagship. While the PB will eventually get BB10, it will not be before the January 30th unveiling. It's as yet unreleased, so I am not sure what you want them to do. Release it for the PB just after the announcement but before they release their new phones? I don't see it happening.
    12-12-12 07:59 PM
    If the OS was ready to go, we would have BB10 phones or already.

It's getting close, and the recent Dev Alpha shows how much progress has been made over the past few months, but there is still room for improvement.

Since the push is to get the new phones out, I wouldn't expect to see BB10 on the PlayBook until the phones have been released.
    12-12-12 08:10 PM
    It would be silly for RIM to waste the big release momentum on a product that is sellling for 129 bucks.
    12-12-12 08:16 PM
    Yeah... PB will get BB10 but consider it on the back-burner while they push & promote the L-Series and N-Series.
    12-12-12 08:25 PM
    Will be a while......
    12-12-12 08:37 PM
    I hope we find out on jan 30 when the Playbook will get BB10. The focus is of course on the phones as the future of the company rides on that.

If work on the BB10 for PB is being done in tandem, then it may arrive early. However, it seems to be coming for sure. When remains to be the question.
    12-12-12 09:42 PM
    You think software development is so simple, that just because BB10 OS is ready for touch-screen smartphone devices, that it's also ready for tablet devices? You do realize that just writing the installer that upgrades from OS 2.x.x to BB10 will be a quite an effort? They obviously don't have to write that for the new devices. And that's just one issue among a sea of others for putting BB10 on Playbook.
    Last edited by S180; 12-12-12 at 11:03 PM.
    12-12-12 09:45 PM
    Work is not being done in tandem. RIM is all hands on board working for BB10 for phones. It has not yet been started to port back to PB but will be shortly - there are core changes require for PB. Expect it in summer. You will hear buzz before it happens.
    12-12-12 09:46 PM
    If the software is ready to go, why not at least release it for the PB? It would give those of us who have been DYING for it something to enjoy before the new Phones are released, and I think it can help spread the hype to others about the greatness of the OS.... So why not release the update for PB?
    Did none of the previous 67 threads on exactly this topic in just the last week alone answer it satisfactorily yet?
    Innovatology likes this.
    12-12-12 10:24 PM
    They have far more work to do for it to be ready for consumers, consumers/reviewers are such critics about everything if it was put out on the PlayBook as is, the microscopic issues with the OS would be caught by some reviewer out there, and they would put a video out hating on BB10 OS; therefor destroying the buzz for it. I mean, even something as little as the icons for the apps would probably be picked apart so terribly that BB10's big launch on phones would be affected. We are all anxious to get BB 10 OS, regardless of the device, but the fact of the matter is we just have to wait
    12-12-12 10:39 PM
    This is RIM's last chance to get it right and gain back the market share. They have to focus on the phones first because it's their number 1 priority right now. If they fail, then the PlayBook probably will never get BB10 and all of RIM's hard work would be destroyed.
    12-12-12 10:52 PM
    I agree with everyone's post about BB10 phones are priority. But I also see an importance of PB playing a huge role here too. Ill tell you why.

Its because nowadays thanks to the smart people at Apple who thought creating all the products for technology and syncing connecting and marketing them together would be a great idea. It was a great idea but it started creating cults of people who buy all Apple products. Even if the google nexus 10 is better than the ipad, they will buy the iPad because of Apple cloud. This has started creating a cult mentality with tech products. RIM is in the same boat and needs to do the same thing. If around January 30th, they announce 5 products - BB10 phones L-Series, BB10 phones N-Series, BB10 Playbook Update, BB10 Playbook 10 inch-series, and BB10 for cars (QNX previously) and market them all together it would be amazing, similar to the macbook, ipad, ipod, iphone confunkle.

Although, as Plazmic Flame and S180 pointed out, they are focusing on the phones and that what they should do. Software development isn't easy for multiple devices. OS needs to be crisp and tested on multiple devices. I think by June, they should start doing this. I even think, Blackberry should come out with their own laptop/desktop for corporations who are all starting to think Windows is leaving them out with Windows 8.

If they nail the phones launch from every possible angle, they will have a good base to keep innovating and trying new things. They fell down, they need to crawl before soaring again. Baby steps RIM baby steps.
    imirza, jkomo001 and BB12MX like this.
    12-12-12 11:47 PM
    ... If around January 30th, they announce 5 products - BB10 phones L-Series, BB10 phones N-Series, BB10 Playbook Update, BB10 Playbook 10 inch-series, and BB10 for cars (QNX previously) and market them all together it would be amazing, similar to the macbook, ipad, ipod, iphone confunkle...
    wow wouldn't that be the ultimate!
    12-13-12 08:46 AM
    Because it's not done on any platform (for or tablet). Second, it's not as simple as taking something built for the phone and putting it on an entirely different form factor.
    12-13-12 08:54 AM
    Keep in mind, regardless of how nice it is...

RIM only has manpower to build it for phones OR PlayBook. They don't have capacity to safely build it for both (especially with changing code).

It'll come. But they can't move focus, historically that has not gone well. But they do have PB in their sights it just isn't there yet.

Remember: Waiting is the hardest part

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    12-14-12 05:38 PM
    Licence it out for Tablets and other devices
    12-14-12 05:52 PM
    Cause .................................
    12-14-12 06:01 PM