The main reason people no longer fear about buying another phone like an iphone is whatsapp, they no longer fear the change because a lot of people that uses a blackberry have whatsapp installed.

I have read that facebook is interested in buying whatsapp, if RIM wants to control some of the market in the future they have to buy whatsapp, this way they could keep controlling an instant message application that everybody uses.
    12-03-12 05:29 PM
    sorry but i think this has no bearing at all on why people by other phones. I dont use it and none of my friends do. SMS or gtalk work fine with all of them no matter on BB, iOS or android.

RIM has BBM and they have no reason to buy whatsapp at all IMO
    12-03-12 05:35 PM
    There was an intersting article today about how Facebook does want to buy Whatsapp but Whatsapp is not interested. Not sure it would make sense for RIM to buy another IM service as it would compete directly with itself. Would seem to me a better investment in time and money to make BBM more unique with more features than the competiion. Then users have a reason to choose BBM.....
    12-03-12 05:37 PM
    Lol I love how you definitively pinned it on one app, OP. "It's the whole 'sperience, Lucy"
    12-03-12 05:51 PM
    IMHO, any messenger that identifies you by your actual phone number will never dominate (and unless Whatsapp has changed since last time I took it for a testdrive, that's exactly what they do). They may do well by having a large number of users, sure. But they'll never become a standard. I have too many contacts who I correspond with quite frequently, yet I'm reluctant to ever give them my actual phone number.
    12-03-12 06:09 PM
    Whatsapp has isn't even close to being the reason why people aren't buying BB's. Smh

RIM apparently already bought another messaging app....it was called Live Profile so I doubt they plan to buy another anytime soon
    12-03-12 07:20 PM
    Everyone I know uses Whatsapp, including many Blackberry users such as me. Communication is flawless and no issues whatsoever. I don't see the logic in your reasoning.
    12-04-12 04:32 AM
    The main reason people no longer fear about buying another phone like an iphone is whatsapp, they no longer fear the change because a lot of people that uses a blackberry have whatsapp installed.

I have read that facebook is interested in buying whatsapp, if RIM wants to control some of the market in the future they have to buy whatsapp, this way they could keep controlling an instant message application that everybody uses.
    I use whatsapp and it is has severe limitations. It is tied to the phone you initialize it with which is a problem if you use several different handsets like I do. Google Talk is much better. You can run this on all your phones at the same time. Whatsapp is kind of weak if you use more than one phone.
    12-04-12 05:08 AM
    Hmmmmm....... No. Just No.
    Rello and kbz1960 like this.
    12-04-12 08:17 AM
    Hmmmmm....... No. Just No.
    What Roo said.

It's more than just one app. It's multiple apps that aren't available on anything other than iOS or Android. That's the reason I left. It wasn't just for Angry Birds or a "fart" app in the words of so many BBOS users. It was for two specific medical coding apps I use daily at work which are not on BBOS.
    12-04-12 08:41 AM
    Whatsapp has isn't even close to being the reason why people aren't buying BB's. Smh

RIM apparently already bought another messaging app....it was called Live Profile so I doubt they plan to buy another anytime soon
    Wow I didn't know RIM bought LP! I thought the developers just stopped developing for it, lol. I still use it on Android, but I don't have very many contacts on it anymore.
    12-04-12 08:53 AM

I liked Whatsapp, many moons ago, when I was on WM. It was less complex and didn't hog phone resources. I've only had two BB models -- the 9800 and 9810. Whatsapp bogged down the 9800 so bad that I wasn't going to waste my time trying on the 9810. I really don't have more than 1 or 2 acquaintances on Whatsapp, anyway. Most of the professionals I know are either using G-Talk or Live Messenger because they tie in with other services that Google and MS have. I'm in the minority using a BB.

As for fear of leaving any platform, if anyone has that issue, they either need a life or some professional help. As much as I love my BB, it's a phone not a breathing apparatus. And just as I adjusted how I did some things when I got my first BB, I'll adjust again when I get my first BB10 device or some other OS device. Things are going to change, even staying with BB.
    snag5185 likes this.
    12-04-12 09:18 AM
    warning, small hijack coming....
    I didn't realize that RIM had purchased LiveProfile. Looking at the news from last year I now see a couple articles about it. I now understand even less why the BB version of the app was so much worse than the iOS or Android versions. Very frustrating that things like group chats and adding pictures could be done on the "other" platforms, but not on BB. Also, no BB version updates in forever.

This does, however, give me more hope that BB10 will have a cross-platform IM client (always on, with s/d/r notifications).
    12-04-12 09:42 AM
    I don't understand all the love here for Google Talk. I have a Gingerbread Android device and Google Talk don't work all that well for me.

Every time I run low on flash, Talk stops running and can't even be started up.

Even without that, I often get gmails of gtalk chats that were started by my contacts and got "archived" in mail because I was theoretically offline or unconnected. I find it funny that my BlackBerry holds a connection to Google Talk better than my Android phone does.
    12-04-12 12:14 PM
    Wow I didn't know RIM bought LP! I thought the developers just stopped developing for it, lol. I still use it on Android, but I don't have very many contacts on it anymore.
    Yes ma'am....thing was it was never official so not many knew/reported on it.

RIM to keep BBM exclusive to BlackBerry devices, says WSJ | The Verge.

BBM on other platforms almost happened...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-04-12 09:01 PM
    warning, small hijack coming....
    I didn't realize that RIM had purchased LiveProfile. Looking at the news from last year I now see a couple articles about it. I now understand even less why the BB version of the app was so much worse than the iOS or Android versions. Very frustrating that things like group chats and adding pictures could be done on the "other" platforms, but not on BB. Also, no BB version updates in forever.

This does, however, give me more hope that BB10 will have a cross-platform IM client (always on, with s/d/r notifications).
    If it does go cross platform, RIM purchasing Live Profile will be a huge reason why. Basically it's there now if RIM ever needs it, aka if BB10 fails
    12-04-12 09:05 PM
    I agree with the OP. Whatsapp is popular in India and lots of people shift from low end BB's to low end Android , because Android has more fun stuff and also has whatsapp.
    ArjunMC likes this.
    12-05-12 02:52 AM
    I don't understand all the love here for Google Talk. I have a Gingerbread Android device and Google Talk don't work all that well for me.

Even without that, I often get gmails of gtalk chats that were started by my contacts and got "archived" in mail because I was theoretically offline or unconnected. I find it funny that my BlackBerry holds a connection to Google Talk better than my Android phone does.
    same here. when I tried android I tried using gtalk between myself and my wife using her blackberry. horrible. messages simply disappeared.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    12-05-12 03:07 AM

That's actually a shortcoming of the GTalk app itself for Android, while the service is actually very good. It sticks in the craw of pretty much every Android user. Oddly enough the GTalk app for every platform other than Android is better than the Android app. Crazy, I know. Luckily, if you use a 3rd party messenger app on Android that supports GTalk then the messenger experience is really good. Google Talk is great... as long as you don't rely on their Android app. It's not just cross smartphone platform... but cross "any computing device".

For some odd reason, Google simply just does not support GTalk on Android much at all, less so than the same app on other platforms. Crazy. Which is odd because the service itself is very good, as is evidenced by all the 3rd party apps that utilize the GTalk API for messaging. It's simply mystifying as to why Google is ignoring the app, especially when a minimal effort would make it a huge contender in the messaging arena. And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind their reluctance to continue development on it. The Google help forums are chock full of "WTF!" messages, all which go unanswered.
    12-05-12 03:43 AM
    I agree too. After the launch of iphone 5 and samsung s3 many of my friends who were previous BB users just bought them and all of them uses whatsapp to keep in touch with each other and me. They no longer need bbm as whatsapp works just fine with any device.
    12-05-12 04:01 AM
    A number of my friends here migrated to various devices, and we were all members of BBM groups. Now we have BB, Android, WP 7 and iOS members all in one group, and still chat the same way. Yes, WhatsApp required us to trust that a phone number would not be mis-used, but we had established some time ago that we weren't stalkers, so all has been fine. And now that WA has gone to 30 members, things are getting better. But, it was far from a primary reason why I use another device, now.
    12-05-12 04:20 AM
    With all this talk of Whatapp I downloaded it again to give it another try and out of my contacts it said I had, only one was actually using it and he was gonna delete it and use sms instead as it used too much data on his iphone. I deleted it again.
    12-05-12 04:50 AM
    What's App is quite crap to say the least. If there was another device that was on par with BBM, I would have upgraded my phone by now to a Samsung Note 2 and not look back. There's people I'd also like to keep contact with, but not give my number, cause I wouldn't consider them friends.
    12-05-12 04:55 AM
    A number of my friends here migrated to various devices, and we were all members of BBM groups. Now we have BB, Android, WP 7 and iOS members all in one group, and still chat the same way. Yes, WhatsApp required us to trust that a phone number would not be mis-used, but we had established some time ago that we weren't stalkers, so all has been fine. And now that WA has gone to 30 members, things are getting better. But, it was far from a primary reason why I use another device, now.
    Yup, if I don't trust the people involved I don't join the group or I don't give my number.
    Agreed, the availability of WhatsApp was not the primary reason I got other devices....speaking of which I can't find my Skyrocket this morning....might be riding the Metro somewhere in DC.....without me.....
    BergerKing likes this.
    12-05-12 05:01 AM
    You don't have to use your real phone number for Whatsapp. You can just get a throwaway from somewhere and use that.
    12-05-12 05:54 AM
62 123