TechCrunch

What do you think? Would an acquisition by Facebook pose a serious threat to BlackBerry's BBM?
    12-03-12 05:02 AM
    In a word, yes.

If facebook bought Whatsapp that would be a huge change in the mobile landscape as Whatsapp is the worlds largest cross platform IM app.
    Villain likes this.
    12-03-12 05:15 AM
    If it happens I dont see this change you talk of outside getting more users to download whats app.

Whats app is'nt top notch quality the amount of times I abondand messaging to just calling the person is ridiculously high.Its decent at best.I dont see this change you talk off there's a number of messaging services much better right now.All I see is FB now has your phone number as well as the rest of your data and the signing in internet trails you leave they more of a problem to google but hey.

Please share the change you see??
    phatmaan and BB12MX like this.
    12-03-12 07:55 AM
    I'd be more worried if Samsung, Nokia,... were looking to acquire Whatsapp. They could then implement all the good stuff that RIM has hopefully planned for BBM 10.. with the main difference that it would be a cross-platform messaging tool vs. a single-platform messaging tool like BBM (currently is). Not saying it would pose a threat to BB10, but I was hoping they could market the (hopefully) 'unique' characteristics of BBM 10 just long enough to gain traction
    12-03-12 08:42 AM
    I just hope that RIM has a real plan for BBM, rather than just playing it by ear. I would hope that RIM already has a (AWESOME) working version of BBM10 for iOS, Android, and WP8 in the situation that such an acquisition was announced.

It sounds like RIM really feels like they can re-gain the marketshare they lost and wont be forced to deploy BBM cross-platform. I personally think they can/should release a (slightly) dumbed-down version of BBM10 across other platforms to show that they really are listening to consumers. Although, it maybe makes sense to wait 6 months or so to see the markets reaction to BB10? Thor has a really tough job. I have a lot of respect for the man, I can honestly say i trust the man has made the right calls from the start.

I follow the Rockets and have an unbelievable amount of respect for Daryl Morey. Thor seems to be cut from the same cloth. Looking forward to Jan 30.
    _dimi_ likes this.
    12-03-12 09:09 AM
    In terms of the Blackberry as a stock, the price that FB pays might put a real world value on BBM. Lets sat FB buys WhatsApp for 3-4 Billion or what ever it pays, that kind of automatically puts a value on BBM, and RIMM only has a market value of less than 6Billion. When FB gets WhatsApp I expect it to go down hill from there, which would be a positive on both ends for BlackBerry.
    _dimi_ likes this.
    12-03-12 09:27 AM
    I don't see Facebook Chat doing too well on phones and that is available across all platforms. Frankly I don't want any messenger services integrated with Facebook on my mobile. It would allow my entire FB friend list to contact me whenever they choose and we all know that FB friends are to be kept on Facebook only
    12-03-12 10:08 AM
    As a grade A facebook hater, I would drop Whatsapp if this purchase went through. I made my peace with the security shortcomings of Whatsapp, but this I could never live with.

ChatOn, anyone?
    BB12MX likes this.
    12-03-12 10:24 AM
    In a word, yes.

If facebook bought Whatsapp that would be a huge change in the mobile landscape as Whatsapp is the worlds largest cross platform IM app.
    I don't get how what's app purchase is going to change anything. It currently has less features than FB messaging its self. Their probably buying developers and ideas. + eyeballs.
    12-03-12 10:28 AM
    Facebook buying Whatsapp would be huge being that anyone who did not know about Whatsapp but uses Facebook would be inclined to use it if it is integrated in a useful way. The ad for Whatsapp on the Google play store features 4 Indian girls using Blackberry, Android and IOS to share info about a design and the whole basis of the ad was that the software was not proprietary. No matter what OS they were using they could all use Whatsapp. RIM will have no choice but to heavily cater BBM to the consumer market if they want to grow subscribers at a faster pace but RIM does not really explain where they want the direction of BBM to go other than adding video.
    12-03-12 11:22 AM
    Facebook buying Whatsapp would be huge being that anyone who did not know about Whatsapp but uses Facebook would be inclined to use it if it is integrated in a useful way. The ad for Whatsapp on the Google play store features 4 Indian girls using Blackberry, Android and IOS to share info about a design and the whole basis of the ad was that the software was not proprietary. No matter what OS they were using they could all use Whatsapp. RIM will have no choice but to heavily cater BBM to the consumer market if they want to grow subscribers at a faster pace but RIM does not really explain where they want the direction of BBM to go other than adding video.
    For those who use Facebook, there is already Facebook Chat available on all platforms. It didn't catch on much. You should shed some light on why this is so and why you think Whatsapp by Facebook would have a greater pull than what Whatsapp already has? As a matter of fact tight integration with FB might just kill Whatsapp as most people do not want to be connected to their FB friends on mobile.
    12-03-12 11:36 AM
    most people do not want to be connected to their FB friends on mobile.
    But Facebook sure DOES want them to be. Facebook's main desire is for everyone to share everything with everyone else . . . via desktop or mobile as long as Facebook is the hub for the sharing so they can collect the data. WhatsApp seems to have a relatively similar desire as confirmed by the way it automatically searches your contact list to confirm people you know who are also on WhatsApp.

FB's stock price has crumbled largely because Wall Street repeatedly says they don't have a worthwhile mobile plan that would generate profits, so maybe FB thinks a WhatsApp tie-in would allow some cross promoting and mobile advertising opportunities.

Or maybe (probably) FB just wants access to the millions and millions of people in WhatsApp users' contact lists so they can:
    1. Gather personal data on anyone in WhatsApp who's not a FB user
    2. Get a better feeling for the people you know via WhatsApp, then try to suggest FB friending based on people who might be in your WhatsApp list but aren't a FB friend.
    12-03-12 03:25 PM
    Well it it stays free I support the purchase , if it starts showing ads , I will drop it like cheap hooker
    12-03-12 05:30 PM
    Some one once told me that maybe FB was an experiment on how easy people will "share" their personal information so some area of gouverment will be able to use it for their benefit ... Back then I was like come on!!! ... I was a FB for a year and I do not think I will reactivate my account, I hate Skype-MSN fusion because I like to have different group of people on my different chat paltforms ...
    I use whatsapp only when the person I want to contact is not available on other way, but I really prefer sending a sms or a bbm ...
    But I imagine there are many many others loving FB and whatsapp, but I do not think this is going to be bad for BB Bussiness
    12-04-12 05:04 PM
    Facebook buying WhatsApp would only hurt WhatsApp.

WhatsApp is pretty much the most notable multi-platform messaging service right now. It's always been held back though from truly taking over because it relies of the exchange of phone numbers to work. So I can only add someone if I have their phone number. That is lame and I don't want to give everyone my phone number. Why can't I just add someone with some kind of ID?

This is where BBM needs to step in with the BBID system, go multi-platform and bust this ***** wide open and take over. Seriously... it can be done. The messaging game is just waiting for someone to do it right, BlackBerry has all the pieces, they need to believe in themselves already and just go multi-platform. I sidetracked because I really want to see this happen...
    12-04-12 11:02 PM