Engadget and the Verge are two of my favorite tech sites. I love the personalities and the commentary. But I have frankly had enough of RIM being bashed and made fun of for cheap laughs.

Look, I'm not a fanboy in denial. We all know things have been rough for RIM. But that's just the point; its old news, a dead horse that keeps getting beaten by the tech bloggers who should have moved on long ago. And with specific regard to the Playbook, I think the majority of the bashers either have never used the Playbook at all, or put the tablet away after a week on version 1 of the OS. Yet somehow they all feel qualified to run down the Playbook every chance they get. The real truth is that the Playbook has been on the market for over a year, and Apple and Google have only just recently caught up to it in term of functionality.

BB10 is almost here and has actually gotten some positive buzz, but not from these "tech professionals." I'm not saying everything is beer and skittles, but why can't these guys think of something else to do besides bashing RIM?
    12-02-12 08:17 PM
    Wonder along with you....wish they would move on.
    12-02-12 08:21 PM
    Social conditioning, PlayBooks initial release has squandered any real hope the big tech sites have for BB10 Phones. Even so they don't seem to grasp the magnitude of change from not only OS7 to Playbook but from PlayBook to BlackBerry 10. Let them write it down and out, when expectations are low, RIM has the control to set the bar high and blow everyones MiNdS
    8D
    12-02-12 08:24 PM
    Frankly tired of all the RIM/Playbook bashing-blackberrylodon.png It's going to be very hard to ignore
    12-02-12 08:25 PM
    The real truth is that the Playbook has been on the market for over a year, and Apple and Google have only just recently caught up to it in term of functionality.
    ... What?
    Bakamushi, Rello and mikeo007 like this.
    12-02-12 08:29 PM
    The real truth is that the Playbook has been on the market for over a year, and Apple and Google have only just recently caught up to it in term of functionality.
    What???? RIM has not ever come near Apple and Google for functionality. The PB still can't do a full IMAP mail implementation, even after a year.
    RIM=FAIL, and deservedly.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-02-12 08:50 PM
    Most people want to feel superior. A few would merit for actually accomplishing something. Many just need to put down someone else to get that feelings. And it's the easiest and laziest route to do so.
    bungaboy and CairnsRock like this.
    12-02-12 08:58 PM
    I was in Radio Shak, only reason was I saw a playbook in the window (thought they may have accessories), asked the guy in there where their playbook stuff was..he says, " only got chargers, playbooks ancient...my pb in hand I looked at him and said, really. He then says, "we got iphones and galaxy 3s on sale"..I laughed and said, thos store is ancient...they literally have nothing of interest in there...
    Zedi Master likes this.
    12-02-12 09:04 PM
    What will they say when RIM releases BlackBerry10 to PlayBook? What will they say when the rest of the OS is shown in all its lovely tat glory and astonished people gaze and drool? It's been a long road indeed but the prize is upon us and nobody will be able to deny it without looking very foolish.
    12-02-12 09:53 PM
    Where exactly do 'they' make fun of RIM?

This thread appears twice a week, I swear to God. I'm beginning to think a number of PlayBook owners are delusional. But maybe I'm wrong...

I was in Radio Shak, only reason was I saw a playbook in the window (thought they may have accessories), asked the guy in there where their playbook stuff was..he says, " only got chargers, playbooks ancient...my pb in hand I looked at him and said, really. He then says, "we got iphones and galaxy 3s on sale"..I laughed and said, thos store is ancient...they literally have nothing of interest in there...
    ... On second thought, I'm entirely correct.
    Wasp14 and mikeo007 like this.
    12-02-12 10:06 PM
    What???? RIM has not ever come near Apple and Google for functionality. The PB still can't do a full IMAP mail implementation, even after a year.
    Well, it depends on how you define functionality. RIM's email integration is far better on playbook than Apple has ever achieved on the iPAD. Add in the BB bridge which is wonderful concept. It has saved my bacon many times. The playbook's main problem was the lack of App support when it was released. This problem is being resolved and I'm quite satisfied with the general level of support.
    12-02-12 10:13 PM
    RIM has its sights set on so much more than the Verge or Engadget or BGR or TechnoBuffalo ever report. Their opinion of BlackBerry stops here:
    Frankly tired of all the RIM/Playbook bashing-blackberry-playbook-32-gb-1344.jpgFrankly tired of all the RIM/Playbook bashing-bberry-tour-verizon-angle-350.jpg
    This is the general media and public perception of BlackBerry.. I have made claim here in the forums that the "Antiquated" perception of BlackBerry is actually a good thing

We need not worry, BlackBerry 10 is being built so set the record straight, once again for all. I need not remind anyone who really built this space and who will once again claim the throne.

Frankly tired of all the RIM/Playbook bashing-bbdevalphainqnxadvideo.png
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-02-12 11:27 PM
    I mostly agree with the OP...I stopped reading engadget articles because of their obvious negativity (in word choice and overall tone; just read them out loud and you could hear the bias and poo-poing) towards RIM products, and surprisingly the verge has been relatively fair for the most part, albeit sparse, with BlackBerry news
    blacktruck likes this.
    12-03-12 08:50 AM
    i seem to recall seeing somewhere the ability to set up IMAP in my PB...
    12-03-12 08:57 PM
    I mostly agree with the OP...I stopped reading engadget articles because of their obvious negativity
    Engadget seems to be coming around lately. The first sign was Brian Heater being pretty pro-BlackBerry 10 on a podcast after many sneers. The second was Tim Stevens having a good interview with Thorsten, rather than grimacing at execs like he had in the past. The final was Myriam tweeting that she saw final hardware and that it was quite nice ... after basically ignoring RIM in podcasts.

The RIM PR guys can pat themselves on the back if they get techcrunch to come around ...

What RIM is Up Against? (In Vino Veritas) - BerryReview
    12-03-12 09:10 PM
    Oh dang, I'll have to stop using my Dovecot IMAP mail server with my PlayBook then, because it's obviously not "full" IMAP.

Or is it? What does "full" mean? I'd like to know what I'm missing.
    CerveloJohn, kbz1960 and Toodeurep like this.
    12-03-12 10:21 PM
    I am probably only one left in my company with BB phone 9810 by now.

But even American Airlines pilots (I am not talking about MRO's) now are getting IPad as a FAA approved tool.

Cockpit iPads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Strangely (and sadly) enough Research In Motion folks are far behind, somewhere among kids gadgets, leaving thousand possible applications untouched.
    12-04-12 12:42 AM
    What bashing ? People don't care...
    12-04-12 03:22 AM
    Well say what you like, whoever was in charge of the Playbook as a project and launch was a total i d i o t (holymoly the word censoring round here is quite pathetic). You cant deny that.

Like anyone wouldn't notice that half the functionality wasn't there? They could have delayed it by a couple more months and the story could have been slightly different.
    12-04-12 04:47 AM
    Engadget and the Verge are two of my favorite tech sites. I love the personalities and the commentary. But I have frankly had enough of RIM being bashed and made fun of for cheap laughs.

Look, I'm not a fanboy in denial. We all know things have been rough for RIM. But that's just the point; its old news, a dead horse that keeps getting beaten by the tech bloggers who should have moved on long ago. And with specific regard to the Playbook, I think the majority of the bashers either have never used the Playbook at all, or put the tablet away after a week on version 1 of the OS. Yet somehow they all feel qualified to run down the Playbook every chance they get. The real truth is that the Playbook has been on the market for over a year, and Apple and Google have only just recently caught up to it in term of functionality.

BB10 is almost here and has actually gotten some positive buzz, but not from these "tech professionals." I'm not saying everything is beer and skittles, but why can't these guys think of something else to do besides bashing RIM?
    You sure your eyes are working properly?

Both Engadget and theVerge have verypositive impressions of BB10. I'm not sure why you're saying stuff that isn't true.

As for bashing RIM's existing lineup, that's fair game IMHO, and is par for the course when underwhelming products are out there. I certainly have no issue with anyone bashing the OS7 devices, not when my 9900 cannot go more than half a day without needing more juice and when i get spinning clocks just by looking at the phone.

Focus on the future. Man up and wait for January 30th.
    Rello and torndownunit like this.
    12-04-12 06:57 AM
    Whatever. If RIM keeps making them ill keep buying them. The fact that these people are so concerned about bashing blackberry shows they aren't't satisfied with what they have and seek further validation by trying to knock others down
    12-04-12 07:12 AM

Wow...

Keep in mind I own a PlayBook but id love to hear further explanation on this...cause I have respectfully REALLY disagree with this
    12-04-12 05:17 PM
    If no one cares why is their name always coming up?
    12-04-12 05:30 PM
    It doesn't populate folders properly, or keep emails more than 30 days. This is a killer for me as it's how I organize and keep my information. I've never run into another tablet that can't do this properly.
    12-05-12 12:19 PM