Are there any free file managers that allow transferring of files from phone to playbook through bluetooth?
    12-01-12 12:17 PM
    I think what you're asking for would violate the PlayBook security definition and as such RIM isn't going to release those api's.

BlackBerry PlayBook Security - Manuals and Guides
    12-01-12 08:56 PM
    As far as I know PB OS bluetooth implementation doesn't support OBEX or FTP protocls. So no app will be able to send files over bluetooth.
    12-01-12 09:04 PM
    Are there any that use blackberry bridge to do it, or is that also a no go area?
    12-01-12 11:00 PM
    Hey Mich if you use the link I posted you can download and read how RIM isolates and protects data on the PlayBook.

Its not that heavy of a read and pretty eye opening when you compare the PlayBook to other tablets as far as security is concerned.
    halw likes this.
    12-02-12 12:39 AM
    Erm - yes this can be done through bridge.

Download 'My File Manager' by Hirate Software.

As long as you ar connected by Bridge you can copy between the devices via bluetooth.
    12-02-12 02:38 AM
    Well this I didn't know... Yet another disappointment (an I wasn't already in the best of moods). Renders the PB even less portable.

With the need to have BB Desktop or Device Manager in the PC you connect it to, the lack of an SD card or USBOTG it's fairly impossible to get files from/to the device. Seems like the device was intended to use BB phones as crutches... RIMs security paranoia is a poor excuse to produce crippled devices and software.
    12-02-12 05:55 AM
    Well even I would like to see bluetooth file transfer someday.. Maybe it will come with BB10 someone with Dev alpha should check if it supports it..

Well this I didn't know... Yet another disappointment (an I wasn't already in the best of moods). Renders the PB even less portable.

With the need to have BB Desktop or Device Manager in the PC to connect it to the PB, the lack of an SD card or USBOTG (which has stayed a promisse for far too long) and no BT it's fairly impossible to get files from/to the device. Seems like the device was intended to use BB phones as crutches (not buying a phone to patch holes in my other devices)... RIMs security paranoia is but a poor excuse to produce crippled devices and software. Wonder if the company even deserves not to go belly up.
    In case you are unaware of it..You don't need Device manager to transfer files.. You can simply mount your device over wifi and transfer files no special drivers needed.. Irrespective of whether the desktop is running Windows, Linux, Mac (anything that supports samba..)

I have hardly seen it on any device do it out of the box and I love RIM for that.. No wires needed..

Oh.. so the Bluetooth thing should apply to Apple too right? Even they don't allow files over bluetooth in "i" devices unless you jailbreak and buy additional software..
    halw likes this.
    12-02-12 06:38 AM
    Files and Folders in Appworld
    12-02-12 09:14 AM
    Thank you very much for your replies, I will give the two apps that were mentioned a try. I would have settled for wifi file transfer but I rarely have access to a wifi connection.
    12-02-12 02:56 PM
    Erm with wifi you can just turn your own phone into a hotspot using your data signal which then works to connect through wifi to transfer files / data. There are plenty of free apps that do this for all phones or its in-built into the system. As for wifi transfer there are also free apps in App World to do this. As you set the hotspot you have control over the wifi security. I use this quite a lot out & about.

Ok its not bluetooth but it does the same job, and as such comments on the portability of the PB are a little less founded. Hope this helps.
    T-Raww likes this.
    12-02-12 11:38 PM

With the need to have BB Desktop or Device Manager in the PC to connect it to the PB, the lack of an SD card or USBOTG (which has stayed a promisse for far too long) and no BT it's fairly impossible to get files from/to the device. Seems like the device was intended to use BB phones as crutches (not buying a phone to patch holes in my other devices)... RIMs security paranoia is but a poor excuse to produce crippled devices and software. Wonder if the company even deserves not to go belly up.
    Actually it is corporate and government users that required the PlayBook's advanced security, something iOS or Android could never do. I see iPads in hospitals but they belong to the hospital and don't leave the building. With a PlayBook what data is from the company via BES and domain membership, stays at the company when you take it home. It's not paranoia just best security practice for mobile devices. If you don't care about your data or personal info the yeah enjoy your sloppy practices. There are tons of file utils that use WiFi to transfer files as mentioned here, and none would be allowed on the corporate domain.

Most IT security managers shudder at the thought of willy nilly file transfers. Most security breaches in the press and not reported are from portable, removable storage devices, and un accounted for laptops.

BTW the bridge function is not a crutch but also a secure partition with two levels of protection, also something no other platform can do. I Have friends with non camera BlackBerry's because their work is sensitive and bridging to a PlayBook is the only access allowed when not on their office domain.

Yes RIM blew it by releasing the PlayBook without native apps and there's no excuse for that but bridging is a legitimate tool.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-02-12 11:56 PM
    I sincerely dislike Apple. A poor example of what a company should be regarding other companies and users (an excellent example of marketing success and herd behavior... a company built on a fad). Delivering overpriced subpar hardware for many years (not so much in their latest gen I recon). Early versions of iOS were pretty weak and it's still catching up to some legacy mobile OSes. I migrated from WinMo to Android for the sole reason that MS pulled the plug on this product (iDevices design, UI and cool status killed it) and botched WinPhone.

I was aware of wifi transfers but unfortunately the vast majority of health clinics and hospitals in my country(including the ones I work at) are funded by the state and there are no such "luxuries" as wifi (I'm lucky if the wired connection doesn't clog much during critic hours) so I'm stuck. My only option would be (as suggested above) to use a smartphone to set a hotspot, connect the PB to the web, use the phone to download the files and connect it to the PC using a cable. That's not productive (not to mention the issue of large files and monthly data costs).

The PB was a personal purchase, meant as a work tool. I don't carry sensitive files from the institution I work with. There is no wifi. The only thing that's shared using a local lan is a database accessible only through proprietary software (encrypted connection). The databases I'm building are for research purposes (if anyone ever got their hands on them they would have tough luck getting sensitive data out of them). The reason I need to build them myself are limitations of the PC software. The reason I need to access my files on a PC at work is due to the limitations of the Office Suite provided in the PB. As for the lack of connectivity being a blessing... an excuse. Add it for general usage lock if and when needed. And don't assume that all work on the PB is done at the office or in big corporations.

I never said bridge had no use or advantages... but it is indeed a crutch (at the very least for the lack of 3G). It was also the fastest way to implement the email client in the PB (the native mail clients still falls short). Too bad they opted for a BB only connection tool (they could have achieved the same with standard BT + a client app similar to the current bridge in function and with proper encription). For me (as for many others) it's useless (no BB phone). A company with dwindeling market share is foolish to use such an approach. What is more likely to happen: a user getting a device to patch flaws on another one by the same maker or abandon said maker altogether?
    Last edited by joaosousa; 12-06-12 at 04:51 PM.
    12-06-12 03:34 PM