So I sent in my PlayBook today via FedEx to RIM's warranty center in US (what's up with that given they are from Canada) due to the camera and video constantly giving me a black screen followed by error 4003 upon clicking a photo or recording a video. This was right after 2.1 update and apparently this means a hardware failure. Kinda cool and weird that a software update caused it. If anyone else has this issue, phone in RIM and send it in. I am curious as to them exchanging this for a 32GB version since they announced they were out of the 16GB version, anyone know?
    12-01-12 11:33 AM
    i know a lot of people with the camera issue
    12-01-12 02:54 PM
    Instead of sending it in for a software upgrade that screwed up everyone's camera why not just send a patch instead it can't possibly be cheaper to fix the devices.
    12-01-12 06:10 PM
    I don't believe it was software, as only one of our devices had the camera issue. I sent mine back to RIM and despite it being a "launch day" device, they sent me a new device!! :-)
    12-01-12 06:18 PM
    Yup that's what I did as well. The weird part is that the error it said is a hardware error which shouldn't happen due to a software upgrade. Either ways my precious will be give back to me unharmed but it will be a two week wait
    12-01-12 07:52 PM
    I mailed mine last Monday, and it has been repaired and on its way back to me, it will be back tomorrow morning. I'm also in Canada so hopefully yours will also be less than 2 weeks.
    12-01-12 07:59 PM
    Oh really? Nice! Hope that does happen to me as well
    12-01-12 08:06 PM
    Had the same problem with my 64GB Playbook. The Playbook was repaired -- not exchanged. I expect that this is what will happen with yours as well. You should expect to get it back within 2-3 days from the time it is received by the RIM center. The package will require a signature. So, plan to be around or have someone sign for it.

Hope you took a backup before you sent your Playback in. It will come back wiped clean of applications and data. You will need to go through the initial setup again. This will require you to be able to connect to a WiFi network -- not one that requires a certificate since you will not be able to add a certificate until after you have completed setup or restored the Playbook.

After my restore all of my applications and data and were back.. email accounts had to be setup again, bluetooth connections, bridge, certificates and a few other setting had to be re-done.

Camera and video working fine again.

PS. The 2-3 day turn around was because I'm in the US where the RIM center is. For others not in the US, I'm sure this is not the case.
    12-02-12 07:46 AM
    I have a question To Curt, did you pb come back looking like brand new? I finally got mine back, and it looks brand new with protective plastic on the logo ...etc. I was sure they replaced it with a refurbished or new one. Anyway, when I checked the serial #, it has the exact same serial number as the one I sent back.... How is this possible? Mine was used for a year with multiple scratches on the back, but the one came back is spotless....

Had the same problem with my 64GB Playbook. The Playbook was repaired -- not exchanged. I expect that this is what will happen with yours as well. You should expect to get it back within 2-3 days from the time it is received by the RIM center. The package will require a signature. So, plan to be around or have someone sign for it.

Hope you took a backup before you sent your Playback in. It will come back wiped clean of applications and data. You will need to go through the initial setup again. This will require you to be able to connect to a WiFi network -- not one that requires a certificate since you will not be able to add a certificate until after you have completed setup or restored the Playbook.

After my restore all of my applications and data and were back.. email accounts had to be setup again, bluetooth connections, bridge, certificates and a few other setting had to be re-done.

Camera and video working fine again.

PS. The 2-3 day turn around was because I'm in the US where the RIM center is. For others not in the US, I'm sure this is not the case.
    12-04-12 01:48 PM
    I have a question To Curt, did you pb come back looking like brand new? I finally got mine back, and it looks brand new with protective plastic on the logo ...etc. I was sure they replaced it with a refurbished or new one. Anyway, when I checked the serial #, it has the exact same serial number as the one I sent back.... How is this possible? Mine was used for a year with multiple scratches on the back, but the one came back is spotless....
    same as me... no answer yet but great :-)
    12-04-12 01:50 PM
    My 16GB had the same camera issue. I shipped it to RIM on a Thursday and had it back the following Wed morning. Stellar service and no problems since.
    12-04-12 05:21 PM
    Alex,

My experience was the same. My Playbook came back in better shape than it was when I sent it. I suspect that what they did was a repair and refurbish/recondition process when they corrected the camera problem.

The inventory of new and refurbished units is probably pretty low, so rather than swap devices they repair them. The refurbish is a nice touch to dress up the repaired units if this is what they did. Sure looks like it to me.
    Last edited by CurtJ; 12-04-12 at 05:56 PM.
    12-04-12 05:22 PM
    Yeah, I am very impressed by RIM's service. I really hope they make a big come back. I believe there's room for a 3rd OS in today's mobile arena.

Another thing I notice was the power button, the power button after they refurbished it is so much easier to press. I remember it used to sunk down a little big, but now it's really clicky.
    12-04-12 07:41 PM
    Yeah, I am very impressed by RIM's service. I really hope they make a big come back. I believe there's room for a 3rd OS in today's mobile arena.

Another thing I notice was the power button, the power button after they refurbished it is so much easier to press. I remember it used to sunk down a little big, but now it's really clicky.
    I had the same camera issue after a software upgrade and sent my Playbook in for repair. The turnaround was 5 days. They fixed my camera and also raised my sunken power button which I never mentioned. This was all at their expense, even though my Playbook was way out of warranty. Great service from RIM.
    12-05-12 08:02 AM
    Please guys, how can I contact RIM with the same problem? I bought my PB more than 1 year ago, in June when I was in NYC. Can it still be replaced if it is more than 1 year?

Another thing is, I am from Czech republic, which means that sending it to RIM would be quite expensive, but if it will repair my camera, why, not

So what is the best way to proceed? Thanx
    12-05-12 09:40 AM
    Well, their support numbers, as I have them:

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    12-05-12 10:17 AM
    Same here - called in - spent and hour on the phone - "trying to fix it" with wipes etc. Sent it back Fed Ex and back to me looking brand new in about 5 days. Well over a year old device. My thoughts are they have a little problem and they know exactly what is going on.
    12-05-12 06:54 PM
    I hope they will be on the email, because to spent hour on the phone, this will cost me maybe the same as new PB

EDIT: I think I got bad answer

In email I got:
    Thank you for contacting BlackBerry� Customer Support. We are sorry but we are unable to process your request. If you would like to follow up on an existing incident, please email your request to [email protected] and be sure to include the entire incident number exactly as it appears in the subject line of your original request. An incident number begins with “INC” followed by 12 numerical digits.Thank you for contacting BlackBerry� Customer Support. We are sorry but we are unable to process your request. If you would like to follow up on an existing incident, please email your request to [email protected] and be sure to include the entire incident number exactly as it appears in the subject line of your original request. An incident number begins with “INC” followed by 12 numerical digits.

Where to get these digits? What they are talking about?

When I looked more in depth about Incident Based Support I found this link: http://us.blackberry.com/support/pro.../incident.html

Well, I do not want to give them my credit card number, because I don�t know how much it will cost. Also you all are saying that you did it for free.

When I tried this link: http://uk.blackberry.com/support/tab...t-support.html and put my S/N there I got this message back: Unfortunately, your BlackBerry� PlayBook™ tablet does not qualify for Complimentary Support. You can, however, get assistance using incident based support from Research In Motion.

So I think that the best way will be to buy iPad mini because I am not sure that I will have luck to deal with my non-functional camera. Even update to BB10 will not help, I am sure about it.
    Last edited by msyogota; 12-06-12 at 05:06 AM.
    12-06-12 04:40 AM
    Well mine is still not fixed so ordered another because the price is so cheap. Wife asked if wanted ipad mini instead. I'm single now.
    ThaSwapMeetPimp likes this.
    12-06-12 05:20 AM
    So the FedEx courier guy dropped by my place while I was away at University today to give my PlayBook back. Going to pick it up tomorrow and will report back on it after I have collected it tomorrow. I must admit this is ridiculously quick
    12-06-12 08:23 PM