I have not made serious statistics and don't own that many apps.

Also I may be biased by the fact that on Android I receive updates almost everyday.

But, I have the impression that my PB apps have stopped being updated for several months now. It's even more striking for the good apps, that used to be updated at least once a month.

What say you ?
    11-29-12 07:05 AM
    I've had some updated recently. I guess I bought the apps for what they do, not what it might be able to do. Maybe developers preparing their apps for BB10?
    11-29-12 07:09 AM
    I've had some updated recently. I guess I bought the apps for what they do, not what it might be able to do. Maybe developers preparing their apps for BB10?
    Same here!
    11-29-12 07:36 AM
    ive not had an app update for over 4 months....
    11-29-12 07:54 AM
    If the apps don't need updating that's a good thing right. I haven't many apps but now & again get some updates, the last about a month ago.
    11-29-12 07:56 AM
    Many PB devs are busy getting their apps ready for BB10. And though it could be as simple as adjusting the UI to the new resolution, any developer worth his salt will be taking long hard look at many aspects of the app. The use-cases for phones are very different to tablets.
    kbz1960, BerryClever and Toodeurep like this.
    11-29-12 08:29 AM
    I've had some and the ones that haven't been updated are running great. Nothing wrong with that.
    kdeckels likes this.
    11-29-12 08:32 AM
    The reason you see so many Android updates are the devs taking advantage of additional functionality, or fixes, as Android updates to ICS and now the 2 versions of JB. The PlayBook's Android emulator is Gingerbread based and won't be updated until BB10 when it's believed it will run ICS. There is no reason for devs to update their BB programs because no PlayBook is running anything after 2.3. Once the PlayBook is updated you will see a ton of the Android apps get updates.
    11-29-12 08:34 AM
    The reason you see so many Android updates are the devs taking advantage of additional functionality, or fixes, as Android updates to ICS and now the 2 versions of JB. The PlayBook's Android emulator is Gingerbread based and won't be updated until BB10 when it's believed it will run ICS. There is no reason for devs to update their BB programs because no PlayBook is running anything after 2.3. Once the PlayBook is updated you will see a ton of the Android apps get updates.
    That's one reason, but it's way down at the bottom of the list. The top reasons for Android updates, and I'm basing this on my regular checking up on release notes:
    1) bug fixes
    2) enhancements
    3) brand new features
    4) internationalization
    5) take advantage of new OS features and hardware

I have about 50 pending updates right now, and practically all of them are because of the first four.

The same is true for iOS, whose updates to OS versions are few and far between.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    11-29-12 12:27 PM
    Well, I don't miss updates because most my apps, if not all of them, work as they said they would... You see, sometimes, there is nothing else you can do and your software has reached the state it was supposed to be.

The ones that still lack any sort of functionality (and I measure that comparing what I can do with the app to what I can do with the website) are getting updated in a regular basis - I point Wordpress as an example.

But to answer your question, they are all updated, to the latest release available.

Try.... harder next time?
    kdeckels and rotorwrench like this.
    11-29-12 12:46 PM
    Oh come on guys, I thought I had read anything on Crackberry, but now you're telling me it's ok if there are no apps updates...

Now about one of the serious answers, devs waiting for BB10, I guess that is very true but it's a developer's point of view. I am a user, updates resuming in six months (if they resume) is not a schedule for a user.

In the meanwhile the apps that I had on PB and that I took again on Android are getting better and better. Not only they are often cheaper and better, but they are steadily updated...
    11-29-12 01:19 PM
    I've been having fairly regular updates. Many app updates are based on the type of app they are, regardless of OS. I had three updates yesterday: Blaq 1.8.5, CreaVures 1.46, e-Mmanual 4.5.0.9. Last week Get It Done Tasks 4.2.7, NFS, PhotoStudio and Music Trainer.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    11-29-12 01:33 PM
    I am an user and I don't care if I don't see updates for apps that are doing what they are supposed to be doing... All other posters seem to agree to this.

Must I call Picard?
    kdeckels and rotorwrench like this.
    11-29-12 01:37 PM
    Haven't got an update for Adobe Reader since PlayBook's release.

Haven't got a Facebook update since OS 2.0 release (late February)

Haven't got an update for YouTube app since PlayBook's release.

Haven't got an update for Docs To Go since PlayBook's release.

Haven't got an update for the Music app since PlayBook's release.

Haven't got an update for VEVO since PlayBook's release.

Haven't got an update for File Manager since OS 2.0 release (late February)

Haven't got an update for Zinio since its release (late February)

Yep, great support from RIM and Developers.
    Last edited by rupam95; 11-29-12 at 10:32 PM.
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    11-29-12 02:23 PM
    Many PB devs are busy getting their apps ready for BB10. And though it could be as simple as adjusting the UI to the new resolution, any developer worth his salt will be taking long hard look at many aspects of the app. The use-cases for phones are very different to tablets.
    I heard Files and Folders is about to update and my sphincter is tight waiting for it.
    11-29-12 02:26 PM
    Regular updates here. And happy with them.
    If an app doesn't do what I need it to do, I don't use it.
    11-29-12 05:27 PM
    Haven't got an update for Adobe Reader for almost 2 Years now.

Haven't got a Facebook update since OS 2.0 release (late February)

Haven't got an update for YouTube app for over almost 2 Years now.

Haven't got an update for Docs To Go for almost 2 years now.

Haven't got an update for the Music app for almost 2 years now.

Haven't got an update for VEVO for almost 2 years now.

Haven't got an update for File Manager since OS 2.0 release (late February)

Haven't got an update for Zinio since its release (late February)

Yep, great support from RIM and Developers.
    As stated previously, paraphrased: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Several of the apps you mention I have and see no need for an update, working fine for me.

P.S. Facebook got an update with 2.1.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-30-12 at 01:44 AM.
    11-29-12 07:21 PM
    Rupam95,
    I don't know where you got your updates 2 years ago for playbook as they released in April 2011. To be fair to the developers they are working on 10, so back to sleep.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    11-29-12 07:42 PM
    It's not about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but about the the features that these apps lack compared to on other platforms. For example, the YouTube app can't play some videos but can be played through the browser.
    11-29-12 10:28 PM
    Rupam95,
    I don't know where you got your updates 2 years ago for playbook as they released in April 2011. To be fair to the developers they are working on 10, so back to sleep.
    Thanks, I was wondering the same thing, but to be fair, he did say "almost" 2years. A year and a half can be stretched to "almost" 2yrs, right?
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-30-12 at 01:34 AM.
    11-30-12 01:24 AM
    I heard Files and Folders is about to update and my sphincter is tight waiting for it.
    You got it, he posted a thread today on the 6.0 update, but obviously a typo, because PB apps aren't getting updates

BTW, Facebook got an update with the 2.1 update.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-30-12 at 01:48 AM.
    Toodeurep and Innovatology like this.
    11-30-12 01:28 AM
    I have been getting updates to my app library nearly every day. The Files and Folders update coming today or tomorrow will be a great add but the functionality found in the current release is great without it. I welcome all updates but usually buy an app for its current functionality.
    rotorwrench and Innovatology like this.
    11-30-12 05:59 AM
    I get updates also, not all the time, but if an app is working as it should, why do we need an update to tell us that the developers still care? If it is a high quality app and functions correctly, we should never have to see an update. My apps are always updating on my android phone due to bugs, etc. However, once it updates I cannot even tell the difference anyway on what was corrected since some of them update on a daily basis it seems.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    11-30-12 06:03 AM
    Oh come on guys, I thought I had read anything on Crackberry, but now you're telling me it's ok if there are no apps updates...

Now about one of the serious answers, devs waiting for BB10, I guess that is very true but it's a developer's point of view. I am a user, updates resuming in six months (if they resume) is not a schedule for a user.

In the meanwhile the apps that I had on PB and that I took again on Android are getting better and better. Not only they are often cheaper and better, but they are steadily updated...
    LOL... the reasoning is funny though. It sounds like some folks assume updates are ONLY to correct stuff...

On my current platform, I can email some developers about suggestions and sometimes find an update on the app same day.

Updates are not the the defining sign of a good developer, but they do hopefully show an attention to detail. In a crowded app environment, added features are a good way to stay on the top of the charts.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-30-12 07:03 AM
    Ahhh 2 of Crackberry's biggest trolls right now out in plain sight... losing ground on arguments that have been debunked now, and now picking on RIM and developers who are focusing in on OS BB10. Sure some of the apps could use a bit better functionality (Like facebook) but why spend all the time coding for an OS that will be being upgraded in the next few months when you can have everything polished for the new os?
    diegonei and BerryClever like this.
    11-30-12 07:14 AM
35 12