(Reuters) - Research In Motion is pushing for app quality, not quantity, with its make-or-break BlackBerry 10 devices set for launch on January 30, and targeting applications to customers in various regions.

RIM's projected 100,000 apps - a record for any new platform at launch - will still be a fraction of those available on Apple Inc or Google Inc devices.

But it is a stronger showing than RIM's PlayBook tablet computer which was slammed at its 2011 launch for a dearth of apps and incomplete software.

In an interview with Reuters on Wednesday, RIM Chief Executive Thorsten Heins admitted that app libraries play a crucial role in the success or failure of smartphones. But he said the game is not just about numbers.

"The tactic we are deploying is by country and by region. We are aiming to have the most important 200 to 400 apps available, because many applications are regional and they really do have a regional flavor," Heins said.

RIM says it aims to offer both the most popular applications in the market, and also those most relevant to Blackberry aficionados - people Heins described as hyper-connected multi-taskers who need to get things done.

RIM's ultra-secure BlackBerry was once the smartphone of choice for government and corporate elites. But rivals have taken giant bites out of RIM's market share, especially in North America, and the company's stock has slumped. The BlackBerry remains popular in many emerging markets, partly for its popular BBM messaging system.

With this in mind, RIM has hosted events with developers across the globe.

"We've done 30 jam conferences in various cities all around the world, to get the bucket filled with meaningful local apps and not just a huge bunch of applications that you collect and throw at your audience," he said. "It is a very, very targeted approach."

Heins, who has met with customers and carriers in a series of whirlwind global tours, came across as relaxed and confident in the interview, in RIM's Waterloo headquarters.

Speaking rapid fire English with just a hint of an accent from his native Germany, he acknowledged that RIM's fate may depend on the success of BB10, but he said feedback from clients has been very encouraging.

RIM hopes its new line of BB10 smartphones will help it claw back market share from Apple's iPhone and devices powered by Google's Android operating system. Developers say like what they see, but analysts are not convinced that RIM's gamble on BB10 will succeed.

BIG NAME DRAWS

In terms of numbers, RIM's app offering will remain far behind the Apple and Google app stores, each of which boast over 700,000 apps. But Heins said he was not worried.

"In my view it is really short-sighted to say, you have 600,000, you have 400,000 and you only have 100,000 apps, so you are not good," he said.

"Look at how many actually get downloaded. ... BlackBerry App World today is still the most profitable portal for application developers - it has the highest number of paid for downloads."

In a small dig at his rivals, he added: "We don't have 1,500 Solitaire apps. That is not what Blackberry is about."

RIM has already said it plans business focused apps from the likes of Cisco WebEx, Box, SAP and Blackboard, as well as music and movie apps like TuneIn, Nobex and Popcornflix and gaming apps from developers like Gameloft, Halfbrick and Paw Print Games.

Heins has said social networks such as LinkedIn, Foursquare, Twitter and Facebook will all have apps for BB10 at launch. But he declined to name any of the other big name apps that RIM will have on board come launch day.

"Allow me to talk to you about this on January 30, otherwise I'm losing a lot of thunder," he said.

(Editing by Janet Guttsman and Richard Chang)

RIM to spice BlackBerry 10 AppWorld with local flavors | Reuters
    drjay868, 00stryder, MTL and 4 others like this.
    11-15-12 03:28 PM
    Well said Heins.
    11-15-12 03:31 PM
    "Allow me to talk to you about this on January 30, otherwise I'm losing a lot of thunder," he said

Get it...Thor...Thunder...lolz4deyz
    11-15-12 03:46 PM
    Thor is such a boss. Love the way he handles the media.
    11-15-12 04:09 PM
    We are aiming to have the most important 200 to 400 apps available wow it stated at top 50-100 per Alec way back when,this tells me they have done very well
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    11-15-12 04:19 PM
    Heins, no other kinds!
    11-15-12 04:38 PM
    We are aiming to have the most important 200 to 400 apps available wow it stated at top 50-100 per Alec way back when,this tells me they have done very well
    given 700k apps on ios and android people only complains about 3-4 not available for playbook I would say 200 to 400 is great #.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    Last edited by bitek; 11-16-12 at 08:24 AM.
    11-15-12 04:41 PM
    You would have to think that Skype and Netflix are among the Top 200 apps for the USA/North America, right?
    11-15-12 04:49 PM
    You would have to think that Skype and Netflix are among the Top 200 apps for the USA/North America, right?
    And netflix, so far I know, only present in 1 country in Europe (UK) and delaying further worldwide expansion for now.
    kojita likes this.
    11-15-12 05:05 PM
    Got to love the German bosses. They don't @#$? Around :thumbup:
    Superfly_FR, gokulesh and josaki like this.
    11-15-12 05:37 PM
    Love it - well spoken indeed by Thorsten.

No disrespectful 'spin' and unsubstantiated, ill-informed opinions from the article author either, which is nice to see.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    josaki likes this.
    11-15-12 06:55 PM
    "Allow me to talk to you about this on January 30, otherwise I'm losing a lot of thunder," he said.
    I think this is significant. Clearly, Heins knows that a lot of people are waiting to hear about a few crucial apps (Netflix, Skype, Instagram, etc...), but is perhaps deciding to keep them a secret. All the other apps that have been announced are mostly already on BlackBerry (either the phones or PlayBook), so they're not as big of a deal. We shall see what January 30th brings...
    11-15-12 07:25 PM
    "We don't have 1,500 Solitaire apps. That is not what Blackberry is about."

I like this statement. So mature for the taste.
    11-15-12 10:30 PM
    Thor is such a boss. Love the way he handles the media.
    LOL! Ok, but remember, you can't complain about negative media then.
    11-15-12 10:44 PM

But how many is too many? I half-expected him to say something about fart apps, but he's too smart for that.

I like the emphasis on getting important apps. Making fun of duplication in other app stores is spin, but they all do that.
    11-15-12 11:08 PM
    But how many is too many?
    Well, how many solitaire apps do you need?
    11-15-12 11:21 PM
    Well, how many solitaire apps do you need?
    None myself. Thor seems to think one, though.

BTW, without checking, I would guess the percentages would be similar.
    11-15-12 11:29 PM
    Personally i dont think that Netflix is important as it once was & it was never that important outside of the USA.

Netflix Canada has always sucked and it's my understanding that Netflix USA is losing a lot of content and getting more expensive.

I also see Netflix as more important to the PlayBook than the BlackBerry 10 Phones, but that could just be me. (And yes I'm aware that if it's on the PlayBook it will be on the BlackBerry 10 Phones and vice versa.)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    11-16-12 05:56 AM
    And netflix, so far I know, only present in 1 country in Europe (UK) and delaying further worldwide expansion for now.
    Exactly, I couldn't care less about Netflix although I can understand US needs
    11-16-12 06:08 AM
    I think Netflix will show up on BB10. There is not really good reason for it not to be available for BB10. Unless Netfix has a deal with either Google, Apple or Microsoft that prevents Netflix app to show up on Playbook.

Skype is different story. It might not show up on BB10 as Win8 mobile and BB10 are in direct competition.I think RIM has already a contingency plan. Say it has developed video chat app together with Facebook. Notice that there is NO facebook nor instagram available on Win8 metro or Win 8 mobile. This would be HUGE for RIM as Facebook has enormous user base. This would make Skype way less important imo.

Love it - well spoken indeed by Thorsten.

No disrespectful 'spin' and unsubstantiated, ill-informed opinions from the article author either, which is nice to see.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Perhaps Thorsten is low spoken, has no celebrity status like Steve Jobs and does not trash competition like Steve Ballmer but he knows where to punch and he has razor sharp focus. He also handles media very well. I have complete trust in him. He will deliver awesome phone.

busy people do not have time for browsing through 1500 apps which do the same thing. BB10 is for busy people not kids and i like it that way.

Personally i dont think that Netflix is important as it once was & it was never that important outside of the USA.

Netflix Canada has always sucked and it's my understanding that Netflix USA is losing a lot of content and getting more expensive.

I also see Netflix as more important to the PlayBook than the BlackBerry 10 Phones, but that could just be me. (And yes I'm aware that if it's on the PlayBook it will be on the BlackBerry 10 Phones and vice versa.)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    so true Netfix sucks in Canada. I never took up free one month offer from Netflix. I just do not see myself sticking with it afterwards.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-16-12 08:38 AM
    well to me it's not only about the skype video functionality, but also about chatting
    i really hope skype will be available on bb10
    11-16-12 08:49 AM
    well to me it's not only about the skype video functionality, but also about chatting
    i really hope skype will be available on bb10
    what do you mean by chatting? like voice calls?
    11-16-12 09:03 AM
    well if im talking about skype for bb10, i hope we'll get everything
    video-calls, voice-calls and messaging (that's what i meant by chatting, sorry)
    11-16-12 09:14 AM
    LOL! Ok, but remember, you can't complain about negative media then.
    Why would that be the case? Out of Thor's control, the media still spins tons of uncalled for negative stories on RIM (Perfect example being the NYT article about how BlackBerry users are ashamed of their phones) - in that case Thor came out and responded, setting the record straight.

I would say Thor handles issues well, in the face of an overly negative media sentiment towards his company.
    gokulesh and Masahiro like this.
    11-16-12 09:21 AM
    I am hoping that BBM, which will have video conferencing and voice as well as text messaging will be able to connect to Skype somehow. RIM and Microsoft seem to be able to compete and still get along.
    11-16-12 10:34 AM
39 12