Is there a "need" for concern that the Playbook is out of stock at RIM? We "know" it is not due to high demand so what is going on?
    11-13-12 10:08 AM
    If the inventory has been depleted to the point there is no inventory it simply means they have sold off the entire inventory minus a few hold-back devices for warranty replacement. Where are you getting the message about "out of stock?"
    11-13-12 10:20 AM
    Yeah it says Insufficient inventory available for: PRD-38548-002 for me.
    11-13-12 10:23 AM
    Demand will remain low until BB10, publicity blitz and more apps/better image/brand appeal.

Now there might be a 1.5ghz wifi version in the works....
    11-13-12 10:24 AM
    Uhhh, from RIM's website:

BlackBerry PlayBook - RIM US
    11-13-12 10:36 AM
    If the inventory has been depleted to the point there is no inventory it simply means they have sold off the entire inventory minus a few hold-back devices for warranty replacement. Where are you getting the message about "out of stock?"
    RIM's website:

BlackBerry PlayBook - RIM US
    11-13-12 10:38 AM
    RIM might have a better version of the PB designed and ready to be manufactured. However, they will probably decide on starting the actual manufacturing process after the response to BB10 is analyzed...
    11-13-12 10:40 AM
    RIM might have a better version of the PB designed and ready to be manufactured. However, they will probably decide on starting the actual manufacturing process after the response to BB10 is analyzed...
    Maybe, but should we the consumer not have available to us the "current" product until they "decide"?
    11-13-12 10:52 AM
    Guess I'll go ahead and buy a backup to my backup who wouldn't at the current sales prices.
    11-13-12 11:17 AM
    I see 16 gigs available and for 32 and 64 this>>Out of Stock This product is currently unavailable but will be back in stock soon. Sign up here to be notified via e-mail. We will get back to you as soon as we receive inventory.

Not concerned at all.
    11-13-12 11:20 AM
    Guess I'll go ahead and buy a backup to my backup who wouldn't at the current sales prices.
    That's the problem for me - I can't find a backup for my backup. Plus my son's PB is now "missing" (stolen is more like it) and need to replace his..
    11-13-12 11:24 AM
    Walmart out on Vancouver Island (somewhere) got a new shipment of 32GB playbooks. They were out of stock for almost 2 weeks. So they do have Supply. Going to pick a few up for christmas,
    11-13-12 11:47 AM
    Didn't you bother to read that they will be back in stock soon on the link you posted? Stop trying to create a non issue. WE are not concerned.
    11-13-12 06:56 PM
    Didn't you bother to read that they will be back in stock soon on the link you posted? Stop trying to create a non issue. WE are not concerned.
    First of all it was a legitimate question!!! How many companies had items "out of stock" and said they would be restocking and then discontinued the item(s). No one is trying create an issue!! So why don't you take a 87 foot fall off of a 80 foot bridge!!!!
    11-13-12 07:59 PM
    Who is this WE you refer to?
    11-13-12 08:12 PM
    First of all it was a legitimate question!!! How many companies had items "out of stock" and said they would be restocking and then discontinued the item(s). No one is trying create an issue!! So why don't you take a 87 foot fall off of a 80 foot bridge!!!!
    That be the bridge you live under?
    11-13-12 08:37 PM
    Who is this WE you refer to?
    Ask the O/P. Was his terminology.
    11-13-12 08:39 PM
    I see 32GB and 64GB units available at local Wally World for $148 and $219.
    11-13-12 08:53 PM
    I am sure if you want one bad enough, you can find one.

Jessica
    It is VERY unfortunate that shallow assumptions and accusations (including the one i made. My apologies for that) are appearing on this simple thread that posed an honest question. I have purchased 7 PBs and in the last month tried to find 2 more and have not. Whether or not I "want one bad enough" does not change its availability.

Nevertheless, I have gotten a satisfiable answer concerning my original question and will now unsubscribe from this thread. Any comments directed at me and/or requires my response will not be seen by me.

Shalom
    11-14-12 06:20 AM
    This could be a good sign. However, the question remains will they manufacture new tablets or allow the product of run its course until EOL?
    11-14-12 08:51 AM
    Out of stock is a good thing, seeing as they're being sold at a loss as it is. No more stock=no more writedowns. I'd be more concerned if they were to become available again.
    11-14-12 09:26 AM
    Out of stock is a good thing, seeing as they're being sold at a loss as it is. No more stock=no more writedowns. I'd be more concerned if they were to become available again.
    Actually, RIM is certainly better to lose money and getting some market share than stop losing money and get no market share� In marketing, it�s something called buying market shares.

Remember that investors put their money in RIM because they still have an important users base, not because the company is actually profitable � which it is not. If you look at the last financial report, what basically RIM tells to their investors is: we actually aren�t making money but, at least, still have 80 millions customers and added another few hundred thousand new PB users. And these users will be happy to buy our new BB10 devices when we launch them.

Also, don�t forget that PB will be upgraded to BB10. So, this will be a fast and easy way for RIM to jumpstart the BB10 user base. RIM knows that as soon as BB10 is launch, they have potentially a few millions BB10 users that they can announce simply by upgrading the PB. A press release from RIM telling that, after only a few weeks, 2-3 millions people have registered BB10 devices, can certainly helps build some hype about the product.

So, basically, for now, the more PB are on the market, the better it is for RIM. Even if it means losing some money in the short term. The long term bet is that these new PB users will become natural BB10 phone customers since they will already be familiar with system.
    11-14-12 02:45 PM
    I have mentioned this in another thread and even got shot down a little but I think it still bares some reasoning.

RIM is selling out the current stock of OS 2.x devices so that when BB10 is released for the PlayBook new devices for sale will have BB10 preloaded, which will include 7" and the future 10" models. Otherwise a new PlayBook sitting on a store shelf with OS 2.x would be a huge no no when customers are looking for a tablet with BB10.
    11-14-12 08:13 PM
    Actually, RIM is certainly better to lose money and getting some market share than stop losing money and get no market share� In marketing, it�s something called buying market shares.

Remember that investors put their money in RIM because they still have an important users base, not because the company is actually profitable � which it is not. If you look at the last financial report, what basically RIM tells to their investors is: we actually aren�t making money but, at least, still have 80 millions customers and added another few hundred thousand new PB users. And these users will be happy to buy our new BB10 devices when we launch them.

Also, don�t forget that PB will be upgraded to BB10. So, this will be a fast and easy way for RIM to jumpstart the BB10 user base. RIM knows that as soon as BB10 is launch, they have potentially a few millions BB10 users that they can announce simply by upgrading the PB. A press release from RIM telling that, after only a few weeks, 2-3 millions people have registered BB10 devices, can certainly helps build some hype about the product.

So, basically, for now, the more PB are on the market, the better it is for RIM. Even if it means losing some money in the short term. The long term bet is that these new PB users will become natural BB10 phone customers since they will already be familiar with system.
    Sorry, I respectfully disagree. Having already taken a write down on pb inventory. To take an additional write down to make more, to sell at a loss, would be fiscally irresponsible in the extreme and possibly may be a securities violation.

Share holders expect companies that they invest in to sell products at a profit. I do understand the premise about an investment to expand the customer base, but its best that customers want your product and are willing to pay a fair price which produces a profit. If they are not. Its over.
    11-14-12 08:18 PM
    ^

Please explain how Microsoft and Sony selling their respective gaming consoles at a loss for a few years is any different, and doesn't constitute a securities violation, whereas RIM doing the same thing might?
    11-14-12 09:26 PM
30 12