I love my 9900 but lately things that weren't so much an issue and becoming more so. First off the camera is becoming more annoying as I try and take shots of my toddler. Secondly if I make a video, it is always beyond the limit size and I'm forced to use a PC to handle the file if not it is pretty much stuck on my phone. No way to share on the go. I haven't gotten any good suggestions otherwise besides using a PC. And yes I do have a digital camera but have my 9900 with me at all times so its handy and convenient to use it for pics and blog directly onto Wordpress.

I am pretty much opposed to the iPhone so was thinking of picking up the Nexus4. Anyone here know if handling video and pics aren't restricted by file sizes on Android?

Anyway I have high hopes for BB10 but in the mean time I might try something different to see if it fits my needs.

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-11-12 10:42 AM
    Have you considered uploading them to YouTube? You can make the videos private and viewable only to friends....if I'm not mistaken.
    11-11-12 10:50 AM
    Would Photobucket work for you?
    11-11-12 10:52 AM
    Have you looked at the new windows 8 devices? They are very impressive with nice cameras. I looked at the nokia lumia 920 yesterday and I almost made the switch!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-11-12 10:52 AM
    First off the camera is becoming more annoying as I try and take shots of my toddler.
    What's the issue? The stabalization?

Secondly if I make a video, it is always beyond the limit size and I'm forced to use a PC to handle the file if not it is pretty much stuck on my phone.
    Yeah - always hated that. Is it a NOC issue? Always found it weird that my 9900 had size limits yet my PlayBook didn't seem to.
    11-11-12 10:55 AM
    I'm not sure if your issues are all resolved with BB10 but if you can't wait nothing wrong with the other choices if they fit your needs.
    11-11-12 10:57 AM
    I love my 9900 but lately things that weren't so much an issue and becoming more so. First off the camera is becoming more annoying as I try and take shots of my toddler. Secondly if I make a video, it is always beyond the limit size and I'm forced to use a PC to handle the file if not it is pretty much stuck on my phone. No way to share on the go. I haven't gotten any good suggestions otherwise besides using a PC. And yes I do have a digital camera but have my 9900 with me at all times so its handy and convenient to use it for pics and blog directly onto Wordpress.

I am pretty much opposed to the iPhone so was thinking of picking up the Nexus4. Anyone here know if handling video and pics aren't restricted by file sizes on Android?

Anyway I have high hopes for BB10 but in the mean time I might try something different to see if it fits my needs.

Thanks

If you're trying to take pictures of a toddler in a dimly lit environment (inside a house), you're going to have trouble with almost any camera phone. The optics on the 9900 are admittedly poor, but other camera phones aren't going to give you a night-and-day difference when it comes to images with movement. This is one of the few places were a dedicated point-and-shoot is actually still important to have around.
    11-11-12 11:02 AM
    The camera has too much lag and I always miss the "cute" moments. I thought about uploading to youtube but wasn't sure about privacy issues etc. I still don't like the idea of being restricted to that though.

My wife has a Windows 7.5 phone which is really great except for Zune. Terrible software and it is impossible to mount her phone on a PC without having to use Zune. But she is able to email vids no problem. It definitely handles media better than my 9900.

For some reason though vanilla Android has me intrigued so if anyone here has first hand experience on these issues please chime in.

Thanks.

11-11-12 11:11 AM
    Ya my wife's "low end" Lumia can take far better pictures than my 9900 on average. Every so often I get a great shot on my 9900 but at this point I'm just blindly clicking away hoping to get a good shot. This occurs both indoors and out.

11-11-12 11:15 AM
    To employ (and slightly adjust for these purposes) an Apple marketing saying : There's a forum for that

Enjoy your other phone, we'll maybe see you again when BB10 arrives.

Si.
    11-11-12 11:22 AM
    On a Droid or an iphone you can shoot a lengthy HD video and email it to another person with no problem....
    ...On a Blackberry you can only upload to youtube ( and that doesn't work well most times ).
    ...It's another thing that is stripping customers away from RIM - all the hoops a BB user has to jump through just to do something simple on a phone.
    11-11-12 11:36 AM
    The reason cell phone cameras take such poor pictures in dim light, it comes down to the size of to sensor the camera uses. All mobile devices. Use a small sensor, so the perform poorly in low light. You want to take good photos in low light, you need a decent point and shoot camera.

As for sharing videos, they are known for getting big fast, if you record in HD it won't take long to exceed all file size limits. Even on other platforms, sending by e-mail has limits. It isn't the device, it is e-mail most e-mail providers have a max e-mail size of 20 megs, after overhead, any text, that usally is pushed to 15-18. That's all of them, gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc, etc. I use sugarsync, I upload the files with my 9810 using the app. Once it is uploaded, it let's me produce a web link, which you can send to any one by e-mail, text, I'm. And the person you give it to can download it, view it or what ever.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    ubizmo, bmercer94 and bigbmc26 like this.
    11-11-12 11:42 AM
    Ya my wife's "low end" Lumia can take far better pictures than my 9900 on average.
    So can the BB 9810. The 9900 doesn't have autofocus. I haven't had to take pictures of active kids, but everything else I've taken has come out better than with a mid-level camera (under $300). And it looks like T-Mo is getting the 9810, again.

I guess my real question to you would be whether everything else on the 9900 is what you want. Are there other things about the phone that don't meet your needs? If so, then switching is a good idea. If not, maybe a decent point and shoot camera would fill the gap without having to change phones.
    11-11-12 11:49 AM
    I've got the Galaxy Nexus, and will most likely be getting the Nexus 4. You just can't beat Vanilla Android, and for the hardware you get for $300 off contract (quad core Snapdragon, 2GB Ram, amazing screen) the Nexus 4 will be legit. The camera on it is supposed to be FAR superior to the Gnex camera (which i've never found to be bad..but i'm no photographer), and as long as you don't mind being limited to 16GB internal storage (which is all i've got on my Gnex and it really hasn't been an issue) i'd say go for it.
    11-11-12 12:02 PM
    Thanks for the tips. I will check out sugarsync. For the most part the phone is working well. I like the idea of taking a pic using my phone and then be able to post it on my blog. If I use a point and shoot it just makes it much less convenient which means I won't get around to doing it.

My wife and I are keeping logs of our parenting experiences, she's using a traditional journal and I'm using wordpress. Let's just say that I journal a lot more than she does since I have my phone with me most of the time.

11-11-12 01:09 PM
    The camera has too much lag and I always miss the "cute" moments.
    Interesting. I find the speed of the 99xx camera to be the ONLY good thing about the lack of auto focus. Not sure if it helps in your decision but I have a Droid Razr Maxx as well running ice cream sandwich and its camera and photo apps are worse. Slower to take photos, and the picture app is very laggy on zoom in and pan. So avoid Motoblur or whatever they call it. On a nexus you'd have stock software so I suppose it would be better.

11-11-12 01:34 PM
    Really? I wonder if there is some setting on my camera that is causing it to be laggy. The picture I capture is never what I see on the screen.

11-11-12 02:01 PM
    Interesting. I find the speed of the 99xx camera to be the ONLY good thing about the lack of auto focus. Not sure if it helps in your decision but I have a Droid Razr Maxx as well running ice cream sandwich and its camera and photo apps are worse. Slower to take photos, and the picture app is very laggy on zoom in and pan. So avoid Motoblur or whatever they call it. On a nexus you'd have stock software so I suppose it would be better.

The only time the 9900 camera has lag in in "night mode"
    11-11-12 02:02 PM
    Really? I wonder if there is some setting on my camera that is causing it to be laggy. The picture I capture is never what I see on the screen.
    Make sure your camera's not in night mode. If you see a crescent moon, that means it is.
    11-11-12 02:31 PM
    Ya my wife's "low end" Lumia can take far better pictures than my 9900 on average. Every so often I get a great shot on my 9900 but at this point I'm just blindly clicking away hoping to get a good shot. This occurs both indoors and out.
    I hated the camera on the 9900. I found I always got better shots on other BlackBerrys before it like my 9700 and torch than this thing. Bleah
    11-11-12 03:17 PM
    ...On a Blackberry you can only upload to youtube ( and that doesn't work well most times ).
    Unless it's a BlackBerry PlayBook.
    11-11-12 03:19 PM
    My default setting is Automatic but I just tested out Sports mode and it seems quite a bit faster.

11-11-12 03:34 PM
    I agree OP. I can take decent photos with my 9900 but it seems I can miss them certain moments a lot as well. Like Rickroller said, that Nexus 4 is almost too good to pass up at $300. Many limitations of current BB's like the ones you mentioned really have tempted me to try something else but since I've waited for BB10 this long, I'm gonna give it a chance before I switch
    11-11-12 04:02 PM
    My default setting is Automatic but I just tested out Sports mode and it seems quite a bit faster.

Careful with sports mode too. It takes very underexposed images and captures at a lower resolution.
    11-11-12 04:06 PM
    Careful with sports mode too. It takes very underexposed images and captures at a lower resolution.
    I find the sports mode good for taking portrait photos in the dark, the flash is too strong for auto or night mode. Night mode +flash can turn night into day. Night mode and no flash is very good for dusk photos.

The 9900 has one of those cameras that you cant just leave on auto mode but once you experiment with it you learn what works best.
    11-11-12 04:43 PM
62 123