Here's a fun read I just came across.

Enjoy

People Are Literally Allergic To BlackBerry Phones | Popular Science
    richardat likes this.
    11-09-12 10:56 AM
    11-09-12 11:51 AM
    The next article will be: "BlackBerry is the cause of world hunger."

I'm so sick of these ridiculous articles.
    11-09-12 11:56 AM
    His attitude is obviously biased, but the study is real. His headline would fit better in the sensationalist tabloids, where truthful accuracy is not a standard. His way of trying to grab readers. But, for those with allergies to nickel, about a third of the models are a bad choice. While the headline might seem to have overgeneralized that all people were allergic to all Blackberries, how does anyone with a nickel allergy know which models have nickel? So, I'm on the headline and on the study.
    11-09-12 12:07 PM
    If it's not only blackberry why wasn't the title smartphone, phone or something along that line? Hits is why.
    11-09-12 12:16 PM
    That's good satire...

OMG Flappy the Dolphin dissed the Curve 8300 in her review! Rabble rabble rabble!

Test-Driving The New Smartphones | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    11-09-12 12:30 PM
    If it's not only blackberry why wasn't the title smartphone, phone or something along that line? Hits is why.
    Because Apple and the major Android makers apparently don't use a nickel alloy in the metal on their phones.
    richardat likes this.
    11-09-12 12:41 PM
    That's good satire...

OMG Flappy the Dolphin dissed the Curve 8300 in her review! Rabble rabble rabble!

Test-Driving The New Smartphones | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
    Not bad for a 2007 published review.
    11-09-12 12:44 PM
    that means those folks are also allergic to Canadian and US coins.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    11-09-12 12:46 PM
    that means those folks are also allergic to Canadian and US coins.
    I can't tell you about Canadian coins, but the US has removed nickel long ago.
    11-09-12 12:50 PM
    I can't tell you about Canadian coins, but the US has removed nickel long ago.
    Canadian coins have been made of steel for about the last 10 years or so, but older coins still have a high nickel content. Most people don't rub money all over their face though...
    richardat likes this.
    11-09-12 01:00 PM
    Bad Science at its best!
    11-09-12 01:20 PM
    Bad Science at its best!

Was there a flaw with the study? I didn't catch it.
    richardat likes this.
    11-09-12 01:23 PM
    Was there a flaw with the study? I didn't catch it.
    No there wasn't. The way the popular press is handling it isn't great, though.
    11-09-12 01:33 PM
    I'm part of the 3% of men that have a nickel allergy. Never had a problem with a phone.
    I didn't read the study, but it seems to have went like this:
    Scientist 1: Some people are allergic to Nickel and Cobalt.
    Scientist 2: BlackBerrys have nickel and cobalt in them.
    Scientist 3: Therefore, some people are allergic to BlackBerrys!

It's a good thing people posting about this aren't allergic to stupidity, or their fingers would be too swollen to hit the submit button.
    11-09-12 04:07 PM
    11-09-12 04:35 PM
    Oh gawd. I just saw a promo for the nightly news (ABC). This had made news on TV in the states. This is crazy nonsense.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    11-09-12 08:59 PM
    can't even comment....totally nuts..ok..bb's aren't cool for the iproduct fanboys that work at vzw, or the andriod fanboys that work at vzw....now we need allergy shots to use a bb....oh dear what other ridculous bs are we going to read!!
    11-10-12 06:26 PM
    I am going to test this "theory". I created a thread not knowing there were 2 other threads about this issue. I do have a bad rashes on my left hand which I always use to hold my 9900. I also have a rash on my right hand near the top of my thumb, possibly from typing on my 9900. I don't really have a rash on my face, just a tiny one from answering short calls. I use a BT headset for long calls. Having said that, I have exzema and my dermatologist told me I wash my hands too much. That's bull. I know a lot of people who wash their hands a lot and don't suffer from this. I am going to get my Naturopathic Dr. to do a Heavy Metal test on me to see if I have nickel poisoning. I had this test done a couple of years ago and had mercury poisoning which surprised me considering I don't eat fish. But mercury is everywhere. I can't wear sterling silver or any type of jewelry that has nickel. I'll get this test done and let you guys know of the outcome. I'm actually glad this was brought up because I have spent $1000's of dollars on natural remedies to try and get rid of the skin rash. It is extremely painful and itchy at times. No one knows what's causing it. It started getting really
    bad about a year ago. For anyone who has severe exzema would know what I mean. And again the weird thing is, it's only on my hands and a little bit on my left face when I answer short calls.

For now I left my case on. I don't like using cases at home but if it is affecting my hands, I have no choice. Or I could use my 9700 for a couple of weeks or so and see if I notice a difference.
    What do you guys think I should do? 9900 with case or use my 9700 and suffer the slowness?
    11-10-12 07:08 PM
    I am going to test this "theory". I created a thread not knowing there were 2 other threads about this issue. I do have a bad rashes on my left hand which I always use to hold my 9900. I also have a rash on my right hand near the top of my thumb, possibly from typing on my 9900. I don't really have a rash on my face, just a tiny one from answering short calls. I use a BT headset for long calls. Having said that, I have exzema and my dermatologist told me I wash my hands too much. That's bull. I know a lot of people who wash their hands a lot and don't suffer from this. I am going to get my Naturopathic Dr. to do a Heavy Metal test on me to see if I have nickel poisoning. I had this test done a couple of years ago and had mercury poisoning which surprised me considering I don't eat fish. But mercury is everywhere. I can't wear sterling silver or any type of jewelry that has nickel. I'll get this test done and let you guys know of the outcome. I'm actually glad this was brought up because I have spent $1000's of dollars on natural remedies to try and get rid of the skin rash. It is extremely painful and itchy at times. No one knows what's causing it. It started getting really
    bad about a year ago. For anyone who has severe exzema would know what I mean. And again the weird thing is, it's only on my hands and a little bit on my left face when I answer short calls.

For now I left my case on. I don't like using cases at home but if it is affecting my hands, I have no choice. Or I could use my 9700 for a couple of weeks or so and see if I notice a difference.
    What do you guys think I should do? 9900 with case or use my 9700 and suffer the slowness?
    a lot of a hassle but you could get an aftermarket plastic bezel or use a zagg maximum protection screen protector as they cover the entire device including the sides and maybe fashion a small square protector to go over the trackpad if that contains nickel?
    wirelessgal likes this.
    11-10-12 11:34 PM
    can't even comment....totally nuts..ok..bb's aren't cool for the iproduct fanboys that work at vzw, or the andriod fanboys that work at vzw....now we need allergy shots to use a bb....oh dear what other ridculous bs are we going to read!!
    It's not so ridiculous if you're one of the 3% that has the allergy. Since BBs are about 2% of the US sales, that means that there's 6/100 of a percent that you have a chance of being effected. I doubt the allergists who did the test paid attention to marketshare, just number of models with high enough readings for nickel by a manufacturer. In RIM's case, it was 1/3. It would have been nice if they listed which models, but I chalk that up to science nerd oversight instead of evil intent. Of course, since it's only 33%, I guess I ought to change the probability to 2/100 of a percent. And, as I've pointed out in another thread, none of the other Mobile Nations sites had anything to say about it. And the mentions on radio & TV and in print will stay in the public's mind for 24 hours, if that long. So, the only place keeping it alive longer than 24 hours are the threads about it, here. The scientists who did the study are done with their 15 minutes of glory and recognition, except here.
    11-11-12 01:29 AM
    a lot of a hassle but you could get an aftermarket plastic bezel or use a zagg maximum protection screen protector as they cover the entire device including the sides and maybe fashion a small square protector to go over the trackpad if that contains nickel?
    Thanks for the suggestion. Does it also cover the charging connecters at the bottom? I use a charging dock. Or I could try Ghost Armor. They have the carbon fiber stickers that goes around the bezel. I don't know how effective that would be.
    11-11-12 01:42 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. Does it also cover the charging connecters at the bottom? I use a charging dock. Or I could try Ghost Armor. They have the carbon fiber stickers that goes around the bezel. I don't know how effective that would be.
    yes it has a smaller separate piece at the bottom where the dock is so you could leave that off if you like, if worst comes to worst and you really want to keep using your 9900 you could coat the bezel in see through nail polish and leave it to dry for a day, not sure how effective or safe that would be for a phone but zagg makes use of a liquid solution to stick down pieces and that doesnt affect the phone (if turned off for a day to dry) so im sure a thicker one wont do too much harm plus its a well used method for cheap rings to stop them turning green and to prevent rashes on fingers
    wirelessgal likes this.
    11-11-12 02:40 PM
    yes it has a smaller separate piece at the bottom where the dock is so you could leave that off if you like, if worst comes to worst and you really want to keep using your 9900 you could coat the bezel in see through nail polish and leave it to dry for a day, not sure how effective or safe that would be for a phone but zagg makes use of a liquid solution to stick down pieces and that doesnt affect the phone (if turned off for a day to dry) so im sure a thicker one wont do too much harm plus its a well used method for cheap rings to stop them turning green and to prevent rashes on fingers
    I'll look into the Zagg. Honestly, I don't wear nail polish because I hate the smell of them. So I won't go that route. But it sounds like a great idea. I can't even wear cheap rings because of the nickel.
    I've always preferred phones that have some metal in it because it makes the phone feel more solid and luxury looking. Now I'm hoping BB10 is made of high end plastic. Motorola has made a number of Androids with better plastic materials than Samsung. And most of the newer Motorola's feels very solid.
    11-11-12 03:20 PM