With BB10 only a few short months away at this point, I'm worried that RIM is going to miscalculate the overwhelming initial demand. The phone is going to sell like crazy at launch if for no other reason than the RIM faithful who have been patiently waiting (for too long).

Impossible to predict how the phone will continue to sell after the initial wave of us #BlackSheep get ours, but I just don't want RIM to run into the same supply issues facing Apple right now.

Go RIM!
    ichat likes this.
    11-08-12 10:35 PM
    I genuinely hope that they do. This press would be good press - pre-orders selling out, supply not meeting projected demand, people being excited to try and get one etc etc etc.

I'm not looking forward to see how it would be spun into negative ("RIM's suppliers not delivering as they have no faith in the future of the company" is always a possible outcome).

Here's to the launch and release!
    11-09-12 06:40 AM
    With BB10 only a few short months away at this point, I'm worried that RIM is going to miscalculate the overwhelming initial demand. The phone is going to sell like crazy at launch if for no other reason than the RIM faithful who have been patiently waiting (for too long).

Impossible to predict how the phone will continue to sell after the initial wave of us #BlackSheep get ours, but I just don't want RIM to run into the same supply issues facing Apple right now.

Go RIM!
    That's what I've been thinking all along. This will be the first time ever I place a pre-order...on anything.
    11-10-12 03:51 AM
    High demand is much better than making more than you sell or having inventory gluts. Take a look at how things are reported. Last quarter RIM shipped over 7 million phones, but over 10 million BlackBerry phones were bought. This means there were close to 3 million devices causing an inventory glut. The shipped number is all that people are looking at though and they are saying the RIM is now 5th behind Sony and HTC, even though more people bought Blackberry devices in that quarter. RIM would be much better served going conservative on devices and ramping up as needed.
    11-10-12 09:38 AM
    Hey guys, I'm one of those that made the switch on my company provided device. My IT people strongly recommended that switch from new Bold 9900 which had repeated battery issues to an Android GS3. HOWEVER I still use my BlackBerry Playbook (which I paid full price) and I do admit to missing my blackberry from time to time and I guess that's kind of why I hang on to my PB so much. FYI; the 2 things that I miss most are the physical keyboard and BBM.

That said, I was wondering if one of you can give me a short summary of where OS10 is at and if it's still on schedule for release soon. I going to be buying a new personal smartphone and would very much need to get up to speed.

Is there a good samaritain out there?
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    11-10-12 10:25 AM
    Hey guys, I'm one of those that made the switch on my company provided device. My IT people strongly recommended that switch from new Bold 9900 which had repeated battery issues to an Android GS3. HOWEVER I still use my BlackBerry Playbook (which I paid full price) and I do admit to missing my blackberry from time to time and I guess that's kind of why I hang on to my PB so much. FYI; the 2 things that I miss most are the physical keyboard and BBM.

That said, I was wondering if one of you can give me a short summary of where OS10 is at and if it's still on schedule for release soon. I going to be buying a new personal smartphone and would very much need to get up to speed.

BB10 is on schedule to launch in Q1 2013. It is currently being tested by carriers worldwide which many agree puts the phone 60-90 days out. I still believe the 9930 is one of the most underrated smartphones on the market today, but that point aside, the GS3 is probably the best smartphone on the market today. Key word, "today". This will all change once BB10 drops as it will revolutionize the smartphone experience.

I would strongly suggest that if you're currently (or soon will be) in the market for a new phone that you wait until BB10 is released. 2-3 months in the grand scheme of things is nothing and I can promise you that you will be blown away by BB10. As an owner of a Dev Alpha B I can tell you that the OS continually amazes me and RIM has only released a fraction of BB10's features on the Alphas. It really is going to leave iPhone and Android users in the dust. Simply spectacular.

Good luck!
    11-10-12 10:59 AM
    Its the secret to success. Demand=Supply needed.
    Supply Needed=Manufacture Quicker. Now Here's the twist, manufacture slow and you got the newspapers after you....

"Blackberry 10 Smartphones out of stock, crazy popularity"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    11-10-12 12:42 PM
    That's what I've been thinking all along. This will be the first time ever I place a pre-order...on anything.
    Or camping in a parking lot outside an electronics store?
    11-10-12 06:39 PM
    There are a lot of us who are still loyal to Blackberry... this could very well happen. I've seen some posts on Facebook of people with iPhones and Androids getting interested as well.
    11-14-12 12:01 PM
    Nothing but good PR if they can maintain a limited supply without limiting too much or it pisses people off.
    11-14-12 06:26 PM
    If there's a GENUINE shortage of handsets at launch, RIM should be so lucky.

Yes, we're all enthusiasts here, and eagerly awaiting BB10, but the hard, cold truth is that we don't represent a huge market in the grand scheme of things. Personally, I'd be happy to see RIM sell maybe 5-8 mil devices by the end of Q2. Apple does that within a few weeks.

My own opinion: BB10 will sell decently at first, but it won't be a stampede. I DO think demand will improve as the phones go through that first wave of users and get shown off to other people. The whole "ease of navigation" thing is not going to be the easiest thing to sell to an indifferent public, but I think that many people will be excited once they actually see it in action.

I see moderate sales at first, but growing demand as the year progresses.
    Cesare21 likes this.
    11-14-12 06:44 PM
    If there's a GENUINE shortage of handsets at launch, RIM should be so lucky.

Yes, we're all enthusiasts here, and eagerly awaiting BB10, but the hard, cold truth is that we don't represent a huge market in the grand scheme of things. Personally, I'd be happy to see RIM sell maybe 5-8 mil devices by the end of Q2. Apple does that within a few weeks.

My own opinion: BB10 will sell decently at first, but it won't be a stampede. I DO think demand will improve as the phones go through that first wave of users and get shown off to other people. The whole "ease of navigation" thing is not going to be the easiest thing to sell to an indifferent public, but I think that many people will be excited once they actually see it in action.

I see moderate sales at first, but growing demand as the year progresses.
    Agreed. Will pick up steam as friends of us loyal BB users start playing with our BB10 devices.
    11-20-12 02:00 AM

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk
    11-29-12 10:45 AM
    Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk
    January 30th launch date. Available to end users sometime after that depending on carrier/region. Probably won't know anything till they announce on January 30.
    11-29-12 12:11 PM
    High demand is much better than making more than you sell or having inventory gluts. Take a look at how things are reported. Last quarter RIM shipped over 7 million phones, but over 10 million BlackBerry phones were bought. This means there were close to 3 million devices causing an inventory glut. The shipped number is all that people are looking at though and they are saying the RIM is now 5th behind Sony and HTC, even though more people bought Blackberry devices in that quarter. RIM would be much better served going conservative on devices and ramping up as needed.
    I tend to disagree here. I would rather have RIM producing enough to meet the demand, and plus a bit more. Be realistic, BB10 sales would be moderate after an initial bump. However, with so short supply of all things RIM, the media would have a field day bashing RIM. I recall I had to wait for a few weeks just to get my current 9810 and a friend who liked this device had to wait full 2 months before she got hers.

On a second thought, BB10 may sell unprecedentedly so a higher # for devices shipped will start to make a good impression for BB10.
    11-29-12 01:13 PM
    I'm still under the impression that RIM must make a STRONG case for enterprise users. . .this is where BB has always shown itself as a brand of aspiration. . . get a bunch of wall street guys to rave and marvel at your device is a much bigger statement then a munch of hipsters lining up outside of a glass cube. . .where are all the cooperations who are actually waiting for BB10? Do they even exist? RIM may need to call in a favor or two. . .
    11-29-12 02:00 PM