A primary launch in Q1 2013 may be a good thing for them because they would have that launch period to themselves and you will not hear anything like, "well, we will have to wait until Apple/Microsoft/Google's announcement next week to see just how compelling this is compared to the competition." However, that is the primary launch. Subsequent launches have to be in line with the competition so that they can have something out for Christmas.

I think the first major update should be in September/October of 2013 as to get the Christmas shoppers next year.

Also, what will be the naming or number convention of BB 10 updates? will they be point updates like Mac OS X or will they be given names like Android?
    10-30-12 11:33 AM
    I just want to comment about the version numbers as I have been wondering the same...RIM has done numbers before and I really believe they will continue with the number system, but my question is HOW will they start the numbering? BB10 1.0, 10.0.1? its a weird thing considering the OS itself has the number in it, and will get confusing for consumers thinking its just BlackBerry OS version 10...I think RIM really dropped the ball on the OS name with this one, and BBX would have been 100times better for marketing purposes and clarification to customers...BBX 1.0 BBX 2.0, etc. its simpler and cleaner, too bad they couldnt use it...Now I wonder how they will work with this because the Dev Alpha devices are running, 10.0.9 or something like that
    10-30-12 11:49 AM
    They didn't drop the ball bbx is already being used by another company.

They might just call it bb10 then bb11 for the next major update.
    10-30-12 12:04 PM
    They didn't drop the ball bbx is already being used by another company.

They might just call it bb10 then bb11 for the next major update.
    I think they did drop the ball...I understand the BBX name is already used, but I think RIM could have come up with something stronger than BB10...either way that's neither here nor there, whats done is done...

As for you saying they will call it BB11 for the next update (your opinion) I just want to say that I dont think that would work, considering BB10 is the OS name, that means BB11 would be a brand new OS branding...so basically the OS is BB again...which is not the case...its is BB10 version 1.0, which means next update technically should be BB10 version 2.0...I may be wrong but thats how its looking
    10-30-12 12:49 PM
    I think they did drop the ball...I understand the BBX name is already used, but I think RIM could have come up with something stronger than BB10...either way that's neither here nor there, whats done is done...

As for you saying they will call it BB11 for the next update (your opinion) I just want to say that I dont think that would work, considering BB10 is the OS name, that means BB11 would be a brand new OS branding...so basically the OS is BB again...which is not the case...its is BB10 version 1.0, which means next update technically should be BB10 version 2.0...I may be wrong but thats how its looking
    We can bicker about OS names all we want....what really matters is that RIM puts out a stunning, quality product. That is what people will buy. They buy phones with operating systems called Ice Cream Sandwich f.f.s.

If BB10 is gold and they can explain to consumers why it is advantageous, it will sell.
    10-30-12 01:41 PM

My reasoning is that we had os5 os6 os7 and of course the ones before it. This one coming out is bb10. Bb11 wouldn't be a new os but it would be an upgrade to bb10.
    10-30-12 01:48 PM
    My reasoning is that we had os5 os6 os7 and of course the ones before it. This one coming out is bb10. Bb11 wouldn't be a new os but it would be an upgrade to bb10.
    But if BB 10 is the platform like Mac OS X, is actually Mac OS 10 and the updates are point intervals (e,g. 10.1, 10.2, etc), calling the next upgrade BB 11 won't make sense.

Also, will they still have different OS versions for different models or will the variations be according to the form factor/line, such BB 10 for the L -Series (Full Touch) and another separate one for the N-Series (Qwerty)? Or will it be that the OS recognizes that the N-Series has a physical keyboard and disables the on-screen keyboard?
    10-30-12 02:00 PM
    Updates? When is the darn thing coming out? No specific time frame than a 3 month window and we worry about upodates.
    10-30-12 02:00 PM
    Updates? When is the darn thing coming out? No specific time frame than a 3 month window and we worry about upodates.
    I concur.
    These Bold 9XXXs that we're all carrying around are becoming more of a ball and chain by the day.

Let's get the damn OS out and then worry about how updates will work.
    10-30-12 02:03 PM
    LOL!! Bickering about BB10 updates and BB10 isn't here yet! LOL!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-30-12 06:52 PM
    If OS2 is any indication, the updates will be fast, furious and incomplete, which of course means more updates.
    10-31-12 04:52 AM
    I dont mind what they call the updates as long as they release BB10 and update it at will i wont care! i just want a bb10 in my hand with the current version. because i dont call my current OSX mountain lion, or 10.8 i just refer to it as the newest version for my mac. and most consumers like myself dont really mind the name as long as its current. for example i go crazy trying to keep up with android software thinking about it just makes me hungry -_-
    10-31-12 05:13 AM
    It has been released, now can we discuss how we would prefer updates to be like?
    03-23-13 02:40 AM