• A few Scratches

3 2.48%
  • Very Few scratches

1 0.83%
  • Maybe one or two scratches

17 14.05%
  • No scratches

99 81.82%
    Yes there were people digging keys into the playbook screen when it first came out to show us how scratch resistant. Yes a lot of us including me have had a screen protector on since new. I am considering taking mine off for the remainder of the life of my playbook to fully enjoy it. But only if it does not come with a price.

For those that have never had a screen protector on their playbook and had it for at least a few months, how are the scratches on the screen:
    10-23-12 08:51 PM
    I got mine in last December. There's not a single scratch on its surface. Gorilla glass! You need sand, rock pebbles, or your ring's jewels to have a chance to scratch this screen.
    10-23-12 09:02 PM
    The PlayBook does not use Gorilla Glass I'm fairly sure.

Had mine since Day 1...not a scratch.

I love my PlayBook and my PlayBook loves me
    10-23-12 09:03 PM
    Liking the feedback so far. I was hoping there wouldn't be any scratches as I have a very small bubble in my screen protector that has been bothering me too
    10-23-12 09:05 PM
    I just got my PB last month and used it for about 10 days without a screen protector with no scratches. I found that the screen was a fingerprint magnet, the glare was bad, and the screen was sticky to the swipe. I enjoy it much more with the screen protector mainly because my fingers slide nicely across it now. It shows the fingerprints much less and is way easier to clean now (LCD screen cleaner).
    10-23-12 09:06 PM
    My playbook is about 14 months old and used daily. NO SCRATCHES at all. I am not a power user and it is normally in a case except when in charging dock on the night stand. Only use a message micro fiber cloth to clean never paper of any kind. Hope this helps
    Scotter75 likes this.
    10-23-12 09:07 PM
    I just got my PB last month and used it for about 10 days without a screen protector with no scratches. I found that the screen was a fingerprint magnet, the glare was bad, and the screen was sticky to the swipe. I enjoy it much more with the screen protector mainly because my fingers slide nicely across it now. It shows the fingerprints much less and is way easier to clean now (LCD screen cleaner).
    I have a matte finish screen protector and I do not find that its sticky...but sort of not smooth, sort of like I don't feel the screen as much as I should
    madmackie2 likes this.
    10-23-12 09:08 PM
    My wife's unit doesn't have a screen protector, and it appears to still be scratch free after nearly a year. She keeps it in a converter case. I imagine that offers a good bit of protection, at least more than sleeve-style cases.
    10-23-12 09:11 PM
    I bought my PB in late February, and haven't used a screen protector at all. I do keep a Blurex case on it almost all the time. No scratches at all, and I'm a heavy user.
    10-23-12 09:36 PM
    No scratches on my PlayBook screen after 18 months bare. When PB leaves the house, it travels in an Acase flip folio.
    10-23-12 09:37 PM
    I have had 6 pbs. 1 used screen protector. 3 use skins. All use flipbook journal cases.

None have scratches. Even my (current) primary.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    10-23-12 09:46 PM
    I have no scratches on the screen, but the back of my PlayBook somehow managed to get a nasty scratch on it.
    10-23-12 09:52 PM
    I have no scratches on the screen, but the back of my PlayBook somehow managed to get a nasty scratch on it.
    sounds like that is from a specific event. I am looking to see the scratches on front from general wear
    10-23-12 09:56 PM
    Never used screen protectors on my PlayBooks and never got a scratch. I believe the PB uses Dragontrail glass made Asahi Glass Co. of Japan. Some interesting information about it can be found with a quick Google search.
    10-23-12 10:04 PM
    Never used screen protectors on my PlayBooks and never got a scratch. I believe the PB uses Dragontrail glass made Asahi Glass Co. of Japan. Some interesting information about it can be found with a quick Google search.
    Interesting. Not trying to discredit or flame you, but where did you read that it may use this glass?
    10-23-12 10:06 PM
    If it is sticky to swipe then the glass needs to cleaned. When clean, I the glass has a smooth polished feel to it.

Same as others have mentioned, almost a year old, 4 hrs continous use (minimum ) each day, no scratches.
    10-23-12 10:33 PM
    No scratches and I've had my 8 and 5 year old using it. That makes the glass industrial grade durable.
    10-23-12 10:41 PM
    I've had my Playbook since they came out (had to pre-order) and have not used a screen protector and there is not a single mark on it. I use it every day but I do store it in a neoprene sleeve when not in use.
    10-23-12 10:45 PM
    Wow these results are racking up amazing. I expected that they wouldn't scratch too bad. But I really didn't think the glass would be this great!!
    10-23-12 10:51 PM
    What ever the brand most mobile devices use some form of enhanced glass, search that and you'll find all of them.

We have two one last Feb the second in May both no scratches and no protector only leather cases.
    Last edited by Zildjian71; 10-23-12 at 11:38 PM. Reason: More info
    10-23-12 11:35 PM
    it appears I may be taking my matte protector off. The finger print issue is a whole other ball game though
    10-23-12 11:42 PM
    I am not careful with my PB at all. It goes under the hood of my car, in the wood shop and in the hands of a toddler. I just noticed a small scratch a couple weeks ago. No bad for a 1 1/2 yrs of abuse. More impressive then the scratch resistance of the screen is the chemical resistance of the rubber coating. It has come into contact with many different petroleum products and it still looks new. After a wipe down with windex anyway.
    10-24-12 12:00 AM
    I am not careful with my PB at all. It goes under the hood of my car, in the wood shop and in the hands of a toddler. I just noticed a small scratch a couple weeks ago. No bad for a 1 1/2 yrs of abuse. More impressive then the scratch resistance of the screen is the chemical resistance of the rubber coating. It has come into contact with many different petroleum products and it still looks new. After a wipe down with windex anyway.
    My PB got a 1cm scratch on the top left (on the bezel) after my dad decided to do me a "favor" by cleaning the screen with his dirty sand-packed microfiber glass that he uses at work. Surely, a grain of sand was the culprit. However, it's not noticeable and I only see it when I look for it.

I agree about the resistance of the of the rubber coating on the back - impressive to say the least.
    10-24-12 12:26 AM
    My PB got a 1cm scratch on the top left (on the bezel) after my dad decided to do me a "favor" by cleaning the screen with his dirty sand-packed microfiber glass that he uses at work. Surely, a grain of sand was the culprit. However, it's not noticeable and I only see it when I look for it.

I agree about the resistance of the of the rubber coating on the back - impressive to say the least.
    I also agree the rubberized coating has been durable. I have approx 1mm chip at usb port and 1mm chip at magnetic port. Very small though
    10-24-12 12:29 AM
    Had mine since launch day. Perfect screen without a scratch and I use it daily. I clean it with whatever is lying around. Paper towel, napkins, shirt sleeve, don't care. Looks like new.
    10-24-12 01:02 AM
93 123 ...