Just out of curiosity I checked Kobo books site and noted that most of the books for downloading started from $9.99 and up. I do not consider that cheap. With some patience one can find a paper book at major bookstores or online for good discounted prices. On the whole Ebooks may be slightly cheaper but you don't get to keep a permanent copy in your bookcase (unless you want to clog up your PB memory with the book's file size). Anyone disagree with this?
    10-22-12 05:57 PM
    For one the file size is small. Also you can always keep your ebooks on your main computer. Again much smaller file size compare to music and videos. It''s echo friendly. No clogging up your home. How many hard copies can you keep before you have to pack them up for storage. Unless you are talking about reference books or classics, how many time does one re read a book?
    10-22-12 06:09 PM
    Not sure where you are looking or what you are looking for, but I have bought many books through kobo and the majority have been about 4 bucks or free. Think the most expensive is 8.99 that I have purchased.
    10-22-12 08:18 PM
    I think it comes down to your philosophy on book ownership. if you want to fill a bookcase with physical books you can touch and feel, ebooks are probably not for you. if you can wrap your head around the concept of a book being a file you can have on your eReader, Playbook, iPad, computer, and just about any other device, it's pretty great! The only challenge I've experienced is for my wife and I; do we use one account so we both have access to books we buy or two separate accounts? phyiscal books definitely have the edge there. Also, if youre the type of person who likes to lend books to people, ebooks are problematic for obvious reasons.

Finally, if you're looking for reading on the cheap, check out your local library and find out if they use an ebook system for borrowing like OverDrive. I take out books on my Playbook with the Overdrive app and it's awesome.

gl, hope this helps!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-22-12 09:18 PM
    I've only bought a couple of e-books from Kobo, and those were ones where I had a discount code.

For the most part, I side-loaded the Amazon Kindle app and have found a lot more free and < $3 ebooks on there. It's actually easier to search through the free Kindle ebooks on their website than from the app, but once they are in the archive, they load up pretty quick.

Overdrive is also a nice option. You may have to go to your local library to sign up, but after that, it is a source for free reading materials.
    10-22-12 10:15 PM
    Thanks for all your responses. I am not anti-Ebook, mind you, just commenting on first observations. No bookshelf space definitely favors Ebooks.
    10-22-12 11:23 PM
    It really depends on what type of books you buy. If you mainly buy new releases then ebooks are slightly cheaper. But if you like to browse the bargain bins paperbacks are usually significantly cheaper.

My biggest frustration with ebook prices is the lack of discount coupons. They almost never apply to ebooks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    10-23-12 12:18 AM
    Ever looked into bundles? Humblebundle.com has a great selection of sci-fi / fantasy titles, pay what you want, beat the average for bonus books (this bundle ends today 10/23/12). Storybundle.com is featuring the Halloween Horror bundle (ending in 16 days).
    10-23-12 01:10 AM
    I guess it must be just the books I am interested in in my case as well. I generally only see them for $8.99 and up as well. EG I just bought "World War Z" to get in the mood for Halloween on paperback from Amazon for $13.95 (I bought a few books so free shipping). The eBook on Kobo is $12.99 . That seems to be the case for most books I shop for. It's hard for me to understand how a product with no physical packaging, no warehouse storage and an electronic distribution method only costs $1 less.
    10-23-12 06:30 AM
    Ebooks aren't always expensive. I remember back when there was a nice coupon code and I got the Hunger Games trilogy for $4.33 (tax included).
    10-23-12 06:51 AM
    You can register with your local library and download them for free. They will, however, expire (disappear) after a certain period of time.
    10-23-12 06:54 AM
    Don't know what you guys are on about. There are loads of free ebooks out there. I recently bought Nook Touch Glows for me and my wife as they knock spots off the Kindles, and managed to amass 25000 books in my calibre library just by scouring the internet, downloading torrents etc. These aren't old, out of date tat, many many are new releases and best-sellers (50 shades of crap trilogy etc).
    You're just not trying hard enough
    10-23-12 07:24 AM
    Don't know what you guys are on about. There are loads of free ebooks out there. I recently bought Nook Touch Glows for me and my wife as they knock spots off the Kindles, and managed to amass 25000 books in my calibre library just by scouring the internet, downloading torrents etc. These aren't old, out of date tat, many many are new releases and best-sellers (50 shades of crap trilogy etc).
    You're just not trying hard enough
    I know very well I could get torrents of the new books I want. I don't care what you choose to do, but I am someone who likes to support artists so I choose to buy books. I know there are various legit free books, but I am only referring to my experiences with books that I WANT and specifically go looking for, not random books.
    10-23-12 07:55 AM
    I was going to buy some Hardy Boys ebooks but I can get a printed copy for under $4.00 at some stores, about half the cost of the ebook.
    10-23-12 08:59 AM
    Ya, I have a Nook as well and there are a TON of free books, comic books, to be had. I also have a ton that I've only paid 99 cents for all the way up to 2.99 as well as some 9.99. I also have some free books from some of the books forums that already convert them for you to epub or whatever format. There is also a program that can convert books to whatever format you use as well if you download them from torrents.
    10-23-12 09:30 AM
    It's hard for me to understand how a product with no physical packaging, no warehouse storage and an electronic distribution method only costs $1 less.

That's the gist of my original post. It should be cheaper.
    10-23-12 05:49 PM
    I find Amazon's Kindle store to be a decent source of books. Currently I am using epub reader free from app world with converted Kindle books (converted using calibre), although I must get round to sideloading the Kindle Android app sometkme soon. Kindle books seem to be fairly competively priced compared to other eBook stores, plus if you read on numerous devices (PB, phone, actual Kindle, PC), I'm sure their "WhisperSync" feature is probably quite handy.
    10-23-12 06:11 PM
    Bear in mind that in most cases the ebook price is set by the publisher, not by the vendor. I too buy mostly from Amazon, and find that their price is usually the same as the paperback price for books in current publication. Idid receive a letter from Amazon last week reference a class action settlement agreement which refers to certain titles in the past.
    10-23-12 09:56 PM
    if you are interested in cheap or free Kindle books, take a look at this site:

http://www.ereaderiq.com/

they will also send you a daily email giving summaries and links to all the currently free Kindle books in the categorkes of your choice. Typically, the site lists aboit 500 free Kindle books each day....

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    10-24-12 10:42 AM
    I know very well I could get torrents of the new books I want. I don't care what you choose to do, but I am someone who likes to support artists so I choose to buy books. I know there are various legit free books, but I am only referring to my experiences with books that I WANT and specifically go looking for, not random books.
    Well then, quit whinging and get your wallet out
    10-24-12 11:23 AM
    I agree that may be ebooks expensive. I have purchased a couple books from the Kobo store.

Perhaps, they cant risk ticking off the brick and mortars by undercutting them with a cheaper price? I don't know.

Its similar to buying a digital copy vs a physical copy of a video game off of Xbox Live or PSN. The digital copy is the same price as the physical copy.

If something is too expensive, don't buy it.
    10-25-12 03:07 AM