I'm sure there are a million forum posts saying this OS is better than that OS because of blah blah blah. I'll tell you up front that this is one of those, but with a slight twist. First thing, I am a cheap . Second thing, I am considering a new phone/OS. Third thing, I currently have the Torch 9800. I've looked into iOS, Android, and the upcoming BB10. I'm not including WM as that looks UGLY and well....crappy. After all of my research, I've come to the conclusion that nothing really suits me perfectly and I'm really not seeing what major advantages moving to a new phone will get me, especially considering the flagship lines will cost me between $100 to $200 and a 2 year extension on my contract. So, what am I missing? I realize this is a blackberry fan site, but I'm hoping for real answers and not fanboy crap from one side or the other.

iOS - I'm looking at the iPhone 4S here. Definitely don't see the extra hundred bucks for iP5 (oooo bigger screen...big whoop). Other than a large amount of quality and polished apps, I'm not seeing the draw here. As a quasi-musician, I really want the GarageBand app, just because it looks like a fun toy. But, I also need to be able to easily create, edit, store, and transfer and email Word/Excel documents. Considering my cheapassedness, it looks like I have to buy a $15 app to have that capability. Seems like something that should come stock on a "smartphone" (like my 9800). The camera looks great, but not astoundingly better than my 9800.

Android - (looking at One X, or GS3, or possibly going with "old" GS2 Skyrocket). I'm leaning towards Android over iOS. I like that I can drag and drop files like I can now, it has a lot more apps available than BB, and the hardware specs are the best of any phones. People talk about how quick messaging/email is with BB, but from what I can tell is that Android seems just as integrated and efficient. I'm just as fast on virtual keyboard as I am actual keyboard so that point is moot. If Android had a nice toy available like GarageBand, I'd be at the store buying one right now. The fragmentation is a issue too though. I use gmail and sometimes google drive, so the Android stuff seem pretty integrated there.

BB10 - At first I was totally wowed by BB10, but the more I look at it, the less I'm impressed. The "Hub" doesn't seem much different that my Messages or even the Notification on iOS or Android. They active frames or just OK to me and don't seem much different than Widgets on Android. Plus the icons and active frames just look kind of ugly and archaic compared to Android (live action wallpapers are so purty). Plus I'm not a fan of how they move as you open a new app. I realize we haven't seen final product, but considering how long it's taking BB10 to get here, Android will already be on next-gen stuff and Apple will be not far behind. I'm assuming BB10 will be integrated with Word/Excel as they have been, but I guess that is an unknown at this point.

I'm on a bit of ramble here, but I'm just not sure on which route I want to go. All platforms have really nice features, but they all have glaring negatives as well. So, again, what's so special about these new platforms?
    10-22-12 12:28 PM
    There probably won't be any advantage for you if you're cheap. You get what you pay for. Any new flagship device, including BB10 will not be cheap.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    10-22-12 01:44 PM
    OP - Here's my opinion...

As you see in my devices (Not including HTC One X), I own a device in each OS category (Except windows, because it's...crappy for my taste). If emailing documents are the most important aspect of a mobile phone, BlackBerry OS 7 does the trick better than anyone, IMO. This only means BB10 should follow suit and deliver an unmatched email UI performance.

If applications turn out to be the most important, they run best on iOS. I'm rocking the 4S now and it runs the same applications (30+ examples) better than the HTC One X or my friend's SG3. I find that most applications are designed for iOS (I said most) and converted for Android. You're guaranteed each application will at least run on the iPhone if nothing else.

The customizing on Android is second to none. I love the different layouts and widgets that are allowed. However, I've found their OS (ICS - JellyBean) to be a data hog. If you have unlimited data and want something different that will still have the apps needed, go Android and try it out.

Identify your priorities and then do a pros and cons list next to each device. Determine which pros you want to go with and then analyze the cons to see if you can live with that device's shortcomings. Hope this helps. Good luck. Report back on what you decide.
    trailracer618 likes this.
    10-22-12 01:59 PM
    Thanks jweirauch.

Thanks for bringing up the data consumption issue. I do not have an unlimited plan and I enjoy BlackBerry's compressed data. But, from what I've seen BB10 won't be on BIS so it won't have compressed data. Making it no different than Apple or Android in that regard. I have seen that there are some apps that you can download to get compression, so maybe that isn't as big an issue at I think it is.
    10-22-12 02:26 PM
    Go android, they're fine
    10-22-12 03:41 PM
    I've used each major platform other than Windows as well so I feel I could offer some insight as well...

In my experience, each of these 3 (BlackBerry, iOS, and Android) have their advantages and shortcomings. In my opinion they're something like this:

BlackBerry: Productivity is second to none. MS office applications/document handling is better on BlackBerry. The Polaris office suite on Android is pretty weak all things considered.
    With the exception of tasks that require pulling data (and lack of LTE) - you can usually perform any given task on a BlackBerry faster than on an iPhone or Android device. I know that my message responses were speedier and more articulate from my 9900 than they are now on my Galaxy S3 (though SwiftKey helps significantly). You will miss the keyboard for a little bit if you switch, but you'll come to accept it down the road. Bottom line: Only switch away from BlackBerry if you're dying to try LTE (like I was), or if sharing pictures of your lunch with Lo-Fi filters is important to you. I'm on a Galaxy S3 right now for a test drive if you will, but it will be BlackBerry 10 on day 1 for me.

Android: Lots to love and a few things to hate here. The customization is awesome, and I've come to love widgets. But don't get too hyped up about live wallpapers specifically. Battery life is nowhere near here it was on my BlackBerry. I'm a heavy user and I can drain my GS3 from 100% to 5% twice in one day. I also had to change my data plan. I previously had a 500MB data plan, and never touched it on my BlackBerry, coming within 50MB only once. I ripped through that and more in the first 3 days with the S3. I now have a 6GB data plan, I hit 5.8GB one month, pretty crazy. Part of that I'm sure is LTE is so convenient that you find yourself turning off Wi-Fi sometimes. I find I'm doing this more so, though, because the Wi-Fi range doesn't seem to be as large as my BlackBerry was. That is to say, I could get a Wi-Fi signal from farther away from the router with my 9900 than I can with the S3.

The big screen is great, and having apps to fiddle with is great, but let's just say I will be more thrilled to have a BlackBerry with LTE, and a more reasonable 4.2" screen.

iOS: Well, it's cute and you can download apps with it. Productivity is better with BlackBerry, and the media/fun stuff I'd say is just as good on Android...so I don't mean to flame but the only iOS recommendation I'd make is for seniors.

Try each platform out and buy whatever you prefer. Online opinions only count for so much!
    10-22-12 04:29 PM
    Well you missed that iphone 5 is 4G so if that's something you want beside a larger screen. The rest., just get what you like.
    10-22-12 04:42 PM
    Stick with OS 7 and pick up a Bold 9930 /9900 they will continue to drop in price and the Platform is very good. Also with 10 being released hopefully soon there should be plenty of these laying around.
    10-22-12 04:50 PM
    Hello sir. Android having the best device specs does not mean it is the snapiest device
    10-22-12 04:57 PM
    All I can say is, after My 9900 I totally love my Samsung Galaxy SIII. I thought it would be hard for me to switch but it wasn't. At all. It's with me everywhere, my Live Wallpapers cause gasps of amazement. I can do everything I need to and more. It's brilliant. Nothing was wrong with my my 9900 but my GS 3 experience is like night and day. There's a reason it's the top selling smartphone on the market.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    10-22-12 05:59 PM
    One of the things I really like about my BB is the data compression. I have a 300gb plan and while I do have to watch it, I can usually make it through the month without really making too many sacrifices. I don't stream stuff (that's why I love my removable memory card for storage). If I were to switch, would I be able to survive on a plan that small? And on that note, will BB10 still offer the same kind of compression to where it would survive on a plan that small?
    10-25-12 01:29 PM
    300 gb???!!! Even howarmat would be challenged to go through that much in a month!!
    10-25-12 01:46 PM
    People get hung up on the price of the device and forget about the monthly charges. You need a much bigger data plan with a non-BB device than with a BB due to BB's data compression. I have a 6GB plan on my Torch because it was thrown in with my contract, but I have never touched 500 MB in a month, and I use my PlayBook browser via Bridge all the time at work, including listening to podcasts that last an hour or more.

If you're considering an iOS or an Android device, check into how much a generous data plan will cost you (5GB minimum), and make your decision. You will not be able to do very much with 300 MB.
    10-25-12 01:48 PM
    300 gb???!!! Even howarmat would be challenged to go through that much in a month!!
    Facepalm. MB.
    10-25-12 01:52 PM