I have mentioned this in other threads, however it might be worth bringing this subject to the right forum directly.

How will the input of special characters be realized on the N-series?

Since we won't have a trackpad anymore, we just can't hold the key and select the required character with it. However since the N also won't offer additional keys, there won't be enough space for dedicated buttons either.

While this might not be too much of a concern for english texts, it can be a real pain for some other languages. Take german for example:
    We have many word with "umlaute", characters like �, � or �. For danish texts I can think of � right now. So typing a text with my Bold 9900 isn't already now not too convenient because the TP selection breaks the typing flow.

But what about BB10? Will we have to use the Touchscreen to select such special characters? I know the HTC Desire Z had a solution like this:
    Holding down the key on the physical keyboard, while selecting the required character on the touchscreen itself. Not really a convenient way if you ask me. But how to do it right?
    10-20-12 05:07 AM
    I have mentioned this in other threads, however it might be worth bringing this subject to the right forum directly.

How will the input of special characters be realized on the N-series?

Since we won't have a trackpad anymore, we just can't hold the key and select the required character with it. However since the N also won't offer additional keys, there won't be enough space for dedicated buttons either.

While this might not be too much of a concern for english texts, it can be a real pain for some other languages. Take german for example:
    We have many word with "umlaute", characters like �, � or �. For danish texts I can think of � right now. So typing a text with my Bold 9900 isn't already now not too convenient because the TP selection breaks the typing flow.

But what about BB10? Will we have to use the Touchscreen to select such special characters? I know the HTC Desire Z had a solution like this:
    Holding down the key on the physical keyboard, while selecting the required character on the touchscreen itself. Not really a convenient way if you ask me. But how to do it right?
    Personally I may keep my 9930 until Rim realizes they made a mistake by eliminating the trackpad on the N series. There are some things that can't be done without it; like pinpointing with the cursor, zooming with the trackpad+alt, trackpad+left capitalize key to copy, etc...This will be missed unless it's done some other way. The trackpad is used in many shortcuts....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    soren203 likes this.
    10-21-12 08:11 PM
    on the playbook, you just hold the key for a second and see a pop-up of the options. i'd guess it would be the same, but may require the selection via the touch sceen.
    10-21-12 08:25 PM
    it can sound silly, but what about a sort of trackpad in the touch screen?
    I mean there is an area on the screen that is dedicated to the "scroll" option of the trackpad.
    it'll not be the same but better than the pop-up of all the options.
    fabio984 and Nazoomer like this.
    10-22-12 05:50 AM
    I'd prefer the track pad be kept as well. If it was the stupid roller ball, I would dump it, but the IR trackpad works so well. It will mean fewer smudges on the screen. Cut and paste is pretty tough on the Playbook since it doesn't have the trackpad.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    10-22-12 03:16 PM
    This is what I been thinking!!! I wonder this and also wondered if I was the only one. I'm glad I've found my people
    11-21-12 12:44 AM
    I'm a bit leery about the lack of trackpad as well. Ever tried to use the (capacitive) touchscreen in the sun or rain? It's pretty frustrating. I gave that feedback to a manager at a RIM event but unfortunately for the few of us who work outdoors in the elements (yes, hurricane Sandy was one of 'em, 9900 survived in an Otterbox Defender) we might be outta luck.
    11-22-12 02:19 AM
    For any BB with touch screen input, the touch and hold feature allows Special Characters to be chosen. On my Dev B, i can touch and hold a key, and after about 1-2s bubbles pop up over the "pressed" key and i can select which version of that letter i would like to input. Not sure how this will work on N-Series.Possibly an Alt-Hold combination or just a Hold and select from the touchscreen popup in the text feild?
    11-22-12 11:58 AM
    Like what the other person said above it might just gave to press the alt button and the select via touch screen
    12-01-12 09:58 PM
    I never use the trackpad for special characters in my 9900. I just click the equivalent keyboard key from the "sym" window. Try it, its way faster this way
    12-02-12 12:40 AM
    What they mean is when you type a letter and hold it, you can ad and change characters by scrolling with the trackpad
    12-02-12 07:13 AM
    I never use the trackpad for special characters in my 9900. I just click the equivalent keyboard key from the "sym" window. Try it, its way faster this way
    That doesn't work with stuff like �, �, � or �. Some languages use those special characters quite common. So a rather inconvenient input method can *really* get you out of your textflow. Nokia for example included dedicated keys (depending on country!) for their physical keyboard devices.
    12-02-12 03:08 PM
    One main reason I still use blackberry is the keyboard, if you have tried editing text on pb say for instance you type "hllo" instead of "hello" it is an absolute mess you have to awkwardly tap around hoping the cursor lands in between the letters you need to edit. Hopefully RIM has a solution to this on bb10 other wise I will stick with my current blackberry.
    12-02-12 03:41 PM