To officially introduce myself community. I have been a crack berry user for over 10 years now. Turning steadily into a crap berry user that's for sure. I spent 3 years working for RIM, and with rumours swirling about layoffs I left the company. Two weeks later RIM announced 5,000 layoffs. Though I was safe, the new offer was hard to refuse with a local, stable company. My role at RIM was a technical one, Oracle Database Administrator, working for the corporate IT department assisting with Blackberry and Manufacturing infrastructures. Today, I am a BB10 developer, and have my Alpha Device after attending Blackberry Jam Kitchener (not Waterloo...). I consider myself to have some technical sense.

I have had 2 INC's open and I am on my final straw dealing with technical support. The issue is my battery is not charging. As you will see from the camera pictures, the battery is showing it is charging using USB, however the second the Playbook needs to support itself on battery power, it dies. I sent the Playbook in for warranty repair, but it was denied stating that the USB was broken by the user. When the Playbook was sent back not repaired as it made no sense to me (the Playbook was powering on and showing it was charging just fine, as well it was communicating with my PC fine), I tried the Blackberry rapid charger. Same issue. I called technical support and they stated that there was an issue with the HDMI!

So you may ask, why is this an issue? According to Blackberry warranty terms and conditions, the unit needs to be working properly for them to fix warranty issues. As in if you have a broken screen, that needs to be fixed before they fix your battery. If the USB is broken, you need that fixed before fixing your battery. If you are missing a button, you need that fixed before they touch your battery. You get the picture ?

Back to issue at hand, below are two images. 1) Showing the USB working, and 2) My Playbook using HDMI on my 50" LG television. Have fun with my PIN the Playbook is useless to me anyway right now...

I am running 2.1, latest build, you name it.

Currently I have a BB Bold 9900 (work), BB Torch 9850 (personal) and the Playbook. If you consider my Dev Alpha, make that 4 BB devices that I own.

Do I love my Blackberry's? Yes! Why would I be developing and craving a BB 10 device?
    That is all changing the past few weeks though.

Is there an e-mail address, a contact, Kevin and Crackberry Nation please help, so I can file some kind of complaint I don't just want help myself...talking to representatives they said 'it happens all the time with broken USBs and voided warranties'. THIS IS SCARY! How many users have been screwed around like me, not having the knowledge of how things work and have now gone to Android and iOS devices??? SCARY SCARY SCARY!
    playbookpa likes this.
    10-17-12 08:19 AM
    If you want a public approach, you could try their official twitter account.
    You could also try messaging Heins directly, I think a few people have gotten an escalation by doing that.
    10-17-12 08:33 AM
    I'm not a fan of Twitter at all. Not even sure if I have an account.

I can try e-mailing Thorsten : [email protected] if I remember?
    10-17-12 08:52 AM
    Might be interested by my post here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...1/#post7681503

Shortly: If you had a follow up email by one of the customer service people you spoke to, you can write a detailed doc to be forwarded to the real tech people, the ones we don't get on the phone but who ultimately decide if they replace unit (RMA) or not.

For example, the problem I had was "the PB you sent as a 1st RMA doesn't go to stanby, not matter what I try (change all related settings one by one, reboot each time, 5 security wipes, 4 debricks, etc.)". Sadly, the girl on the phone couldn't simply write it down, and tech responded "No problem, screen is working"!!! So I wrote it down, and once tech knew what to test (ie "no standby", not "screen problem"), I got a 2nd RMA immediately.

From where I sit, your post is clear for a tech. Debunck all their stupid technical claims, as in "Your representative says it's a HDMI problem. Here is a picture of my PB clearly working on my TV." etc. in a pdf easily forwarded.

It worked for me, might be worth a last try?

Hope it gets resolved for you!

PS: And pleaeaease keep developing, we need you! ;-)
    Last edited by playbookpa; 10-17-12 at 09:34 AM.
    10-17-12 09:14 AM
    Executive email carpet bomb.

Executive Bomb
    10-17-12 09:28 AM
    that's not his email. And I don't want to put the real one on a public post.
    zorecati likes this.
    10-17-12 09:54 AM
    Is there any way to communicate with RIM though? There's technical support, but an e-mail address like '[email protected]' would be great even...
    10-17-12 11:35 AM
    To officially introduce myself community. I have been a crack berry user for over 10 years now. Turning steadily into a crap berry user that's for sure. I spent 3 years working for RIM, and with rumours swirling about layoffs I left the company.
    Why don't you try emailing some of your former colleagues at RIM and see if they can provide the email for the proper person to contact?
    10-17-12 11:53 AM
    10-17-12 11:57 AM
    Why don't you go knock on their door? Or do you have some other agenda?
    10-17-12 11:57 AM
    I've tried that route with ShopBlackberry since the store is horrible. I got no where. I think RIM support is a mixed bag. Some folks rave about how they angels came to their door to pick their pb up to fly it to canada and that RIM sent flowers too them as a condolence for their non working pb. Others complain about how RIM tech support sent ninja's to smash their pb to dust right in front of their children.

I think it's hard to blame the first level support people because they just get handed scripts and policies that they have to follow.

And @muker1515, first post, troll post, best post ever.
    dzl19 likes this.
    10-17-12 11:58 AM
    Why don't you try emailing some of your former colleagues at RIM and see if they can provide the email for the proper person to contact?
    That's the thing. RIM provides everyone Blackberry's. So you never had to deal with anyone except IS Help Desk for any issues. However this is a personal Playbook. It wasn't purchased from the RIM EPP site, because I bought it from Telus during their fire sale, and got a $100 credit card rebate for employees (like the MC you got for the Back to School special in 2011). Telus said call RIM as it is their warranty services, the 30-day is over.

Why don't you go knock on their door? Or do you have some other agenda?
    Where do you start? I am pretty sure Thorsten moved to RIM 10, but there are, or better term WAS about 30 buildings in Waterloo for RIM. It's not a simple show up and say 'fix it'. The technical support is in Halifax, the repair centre is out sourced in Tennessee. Besides a protest (this is going too far)...I know if I showed up at RIM C where I use to work, no one will care, maybe ask what I am doing for lunch on Friday but that's about it. To be perfectly honest with you, if you showed up at RIM campus, you have to know who you are meeting, and they will tell you which building. Otherwise you have an endless list of security guards to ask to talk to 'someone'.

I think as mentioned [email protected], and ask them how to file a complaint that will be looked at. It's turning into one of those 'why does this have to be a hassle? I am going to just buy a new device...' I think RIM is having a big problem with this transition from dealing with enterprise customers and start talking to the 'little guy' that is putting them out of business...
    10-17-12 01:45 PM