There seems to be news/blog articles posted pretty much daily with "information" about a new Apple miniature ipad. I've noticed that most of these articles could be re-read with a completely different meaning by changing one phrase in them.

Re-read any news article about a rumoured "ipad mini", and change the name to "cheap ipad".

I've mentioned previously that my belief is it's more likely that Apple would lower the price of the Ipad2 to $299 then invest in and manufacture a 7-8 inch ipad and cannibalize sales of the Ipad3.

Apple Earnings report - October 25, 2012
    Windows 8 tablet launch date - October 26, 2012

Apple could re-release the new smaller cheaper Ipad2 at $299 during their earnings conference call, taking effect the following morning. That alone would probably be enough to create lineups at the Apple store, and knock Microsoft off the top new articles on launch day. The ipad2 doesn't have the retina display of the Ipod Touch/or Ipad3, and if it's only available in 16GB (8GB?) there'd be quite a storage difference as well.

Most news articles talk about a smaller tablet as needed by Apple to compete with the Nexus/Playbook/Kindle/other cheap(er) tablets. When did they get considered to be competition?

How many people are purchasing smaller tablets *because* they're smaller, or is it because they're cheaper/or they would never buy an Apple product regardless?

I had a relative that purchased an Ipad3 over the summer. He found he wasn't using it enough, and sold it a week later. He just recently purchased a Nexus. He's not using it anymore then he was the Ipad, but he's going to keep it. Why? Because he only paid $250 for it. I'd asked him what he would have done if the Ipad2 was available (in the same store) for $299. His response was that he would have paid the extra $50, and purchased that instead of the Nexus.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by cleacy; 10-15-12 at 11:48 AM.
    10-15-12 10:34 AM
    I have an iPad 2 which I use as my daily mobile 'computer' and reader / video viewer, even though I have an Air as my primary computer. I have no intention of 'upgrading' to any sized replacement until my current iPad finally kacks, but given my usage, I can well see the appeal of a more 'pocketable' iPad - and I'm afraid a significant price drop (even given the usual Apple Tax) would have to be a given, especially given the alternatives' price points.
    10-16-12 07:55 AM
    I haven't touched my MacBook since the iPad was released. Haven't had a need. I'm not in the market for a downsized tablet at any price.
    10-16-12 11:02 AM
    And a press conference has been announced for October 23rd. At this time I still think a smaller Ipad is a bad idea, but it's always possible they'll pull out a rabbit.
    10-16-12 01:08 PM
    I haven't touched my MacBook since the iPad was released. Haven't had a need. I'm not in the market for a downsized tablet at any price.
    Funny enough, I actually sold my MacBook when I got my iPad. For the cash that I got for my MacBook, I was able to cover the cost of the iPad and a new laptop. I only use the laptop for playing a few games and running a couple of servers. I use the iPad for virtually everything apart from editing large documents.

Anything smaller just wouldn't work for me.
    10-16-12 02:24 PM
    Funny enough, I actually sold my MacBook when I got my iPad. For the cash that I got for my MacBook, I was able to cover the cost of the iPad and a new laptop.
    You gotta love the resale value you can squeeze out of Apple products. No?

I read that the 23 OCT event is going to focus heavily on iBooks, so it jives that an iPad mini will be announced. I have to say that I've always thought the seven inch ereaders are appealing, so having one that does everything else an iPad can do would be right in my wheelhouse. I'll be asking Santa for one, sure enough.
    10-16-12 08:31 PM
    Funny enough, I actually sold my MacBook when I got my iPad. For the cash that I got for my MacBook, I was able to cover the cost of the iPad and a new laptop. I only use the laptop for playing a few games and running a couple of servers. I use the iPad for virtually everything apart from editing large documents.

Anything smaller just wouldn't work for me.
    I should have done that. I didn't realize how easy it would be for the iPad to replace it entirely.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    10-17-12 09:06 AM
    I was interested in the mini for my wife, but I don't think its coming out in 4g so I'll have to pass. 7"really is an amazing size for mobile professionals. As to users here replacing their laptops with an iPad, I find that interesting. My MacAir smokes the iPad everyday and twice on Sundays for any type of office work or photo/video editing. Tablets are great for viewing content but in no way replaces a multitasking OS with a keyboard.
    Bazza1 likes this.
    10-19-12 11:59 PM
    I know lots of people that have replace home desktops / laptops with a tablet device. All they used their computers for was check email, surfing the internet, and watching movies. All that can easily be done on a tablet. Of course they still have a "work computer" but for personal use a tablet is perfect for a large number of people.
    10-20-12 12:32 AM
    And here I was thinking that we already had a mini iPad in the form of an iPod.
    10-21-12 01:04 PM